Escape Bedding Question for Toddlers

We are going on the Escape in October and I am hoping to find an answer to a couple of basic questions I haven't been able to get answered by NCL. We have a basic IA stateroom and would prefer to stay in this cabin due to going with other family members in cabins next to us. We have a 2 year old and 4 year old and we don't feel comfortable at all in putting them in the bunk beds up high and they are too big for cribs. Could we pull the mattresses down from the bunks and lay them on the floor for them to sleep on? If they aren't removable, would anyone have any suggestions besides myself climbing up in the bunks and letting the kids sleep in the lower beds with my wife? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. 1st time poster and love reading the forums thus far!

if the mattress doesn't come off, maybe your cabin steward could bring you something like a lounger pad or extra couch cushions.

worst case scenario, you could build a bed with a bunch of extra quilts & blankets.

honestly, i think the biggest challenge will be finding the floor space to make it work.

We are going on the Escape in October and I am hoping to find an answer to a couple of basic questions I haven't been able to get answered by NCL. We have a basic IA stateroom and would prefer to stay in this cabin due to going with other family members in cabins next to us. We have a 2 year old and 4 year old and we don't feel comfortable at all in putting them in the bunk beds up high and they are too big for cribs. Could we pull the mattresses down from the bunks and lay them on the floor for them to sleep on? If they aren't removable, would anyone have any suggestions besides myself climbing up in the bunks and letting the kids sleep in the lower beds with my wife? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. 1st time poster and love reading the forums thus far!

I would call and ask what NCL suggests, they may be able to make some prearrangments for you such as a roll away. You could always ask for eggcrates to put on the floor. GL

Just make sure you still have a path to the bathroom or you may have night issues of stepping on the children

On the Escape, there should be a sofa that converts to a bed. I'm thinking only one child would fit in there since it's not a typical pull-out sofa. Our balcony room had the 4th bed in the ceiling; not sure if the mattress on that detached, as there were only two of us in the room, but if it does, you could put it on the floor next to the sofa bed...but then would obviously just need to step over/around when someone is sleeping on it. I don't think cruise ship cabins accommodate rollaway beds...

Not the answer you want but an family oceanview O1 or O2 oceanview would be a better fit on Escape, much more floor space and a sofa/second bed.

O1 (sideways):

O1_Family_Oceanview_schematic_881x400.gif

O2: forward facing, extra spacious, xx700 stateroom numbers, one on each deck only.

With a price drop you might want to consider those.

Agree with above - the inside rooms are tiny and probably not enough room for mattresses on the floor. Especially if one of you wanted to stay up later or had to use the restroom in the middle of the night.

Look at the OV. Although I've found for a room that sleeps 4, a balcony is often cheaper than the OV for some reason.....

Agree with above - the inside rooms are tiny and probably not enough room for mattresses on the floor. Especially if one of you wanted to stay up later or had to use the restroom in the middle of the night.

Look at the OV. Although I've found for a room that sleeps 4, a balcony is often cheaper than the OV for some reason.....

This is because the family oceanview cabins on the 'away class ships are actually bigger than the balcony cabins

This is because the family oceanview cabins on the 'away class ships are actually bigger than the balcony cabins

If you add stateroom and balcony sizes, they're essentially the same usable square footage (216 sq ft total for balcony & 218 for family OV). Some (like me :-) ) would rather have the balcony.

However, in this case, the extra interior room may be better. Both toddlers can easily share the pull-out sofa.

If you add stateroom and balcony sizes, they're essentially the same usable square footage (216 sq ft total for balcony & 218 for family OV). Some (like me :-) ) would rather have the balcony.

However, in this case, the extra interior room may be better. Both toddlers can easily share the pull-out sofa.

I guess that's true, for OP though it sounds like the extra interior square footage would come in handy. In any event trying to fit two adults and two toddlers into an inside room sounds like a nightmare. There isn't going to be enough room on the floor for them to sleep, those rooms are tiny. You would almost have to have the adults in the bunk beds and the toddlers on the bed. OP, I think you are making a mistake trying to pull this off in an inside room.

Our biggest concern with upgrading is that we don't want to be away from other family members, including our two older kids who are staying with their Grandma and one of her friends. The upgrades probably won't help because I doubt two elderly women are going to want to share a queen bed together in a family suite, etc. Is there a way that two single separate beds would be available in place of the Queen in a balcony room, etc?

Our biggest concern with upgrading is that we don't want to be away from other family members, including our two older kids who are staying with their Grandma and one of her friends. The upgrades probably won't help because I doubt two elderly women are going to want to share a queen bed together in a family suite, etc. Is there a way that two single separate beds would be available in place of the Queen in a balcony room, etc?

All of the "Queen" beds in balconies (and ocean views and mini-suites and insides for that matter) are really just two beds pushed together with a mattress topper and sheets. You can select the two bed layout during booking or have your room steward separate the beds once you're onboard. Can you try to find some balconies or oceanviews that are nearby the other rooms? Inside rooms are sooo small, this sounds like a nightmare to try to pull off.

If you have a family inside, some of those are setup like two bunk beds in the room. Mom and Dad can pretend like they're kids again and climb the ladder. Not completely appealing if you want some alone time but doable!

Here a video of 9443.

During the day, you could have the beds put up in the ceiling and it would feel like you had more space.

Family insides are on decks 5, 9, 13, and 14.

I don't think you realize how small the cabin really is. It is appx 129 sq ft. including the bathroom. There is really no place to pull the mattresses off the beds. If you really want to stay in that cabin category, someone is going to have to sleep in the bunks. As a point of reference the studio cabins which hold one person only are 100 sq ft. and those are small for one person.

Not the answer you want but an family oceanview O1 or O2 oceanview would be a better fit on Escape, much more floor space and a sofa/second bed.

O1 (sideways):

O1_Family_Oceanview_schematic_881x400.gif

O2: forward facing, extra spacious, xx700 stateroom numbers, one on each deck only.

With a price drop you might want to consider those.

The family ocean views are actually designed to sleep 5, the couch pulls out to a full size bed and would sleep your little ones without having to pull down the bunk from the ceiling while still leaving a bed for you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. You'll only be sleeping in your cabins. We went with my parents in May and were 3 floors apart. We spent just as much time together as if we were right next door. Also there are plenty of family OV and balcony staterooms on the same level(s) as the family inside staterooms.

OP, your IA cat. midship inside is on deck 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15. All those decks are balcony decks, no oceanview staterooms nearby so if you do change your cabin and just one to minimize costs I suggest the forward O2 cat. A nit of an unknown gem and unique to Escape.

If any are still available; 11700, 12700, 13700 and 14700. What's your exact sail date, if you don't mind sharing? :)

In my recent post history you will find some more info about the O2/links to the posts I made on them.

Our first cruise on the Star we were 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a IA - with no issues - of course we are a close family and have tented together when camping so used to sleeping in close quarters.

How it was laid out was the 2 bottom beds (singles), and a pullman bed in the middle (which your room steward sets up at turn down). It essentially creates a 3 wide bed that encompasses the whole width of your cabin (then there is the bunk above). We found this set-up fine for us.

Perhaps your 2 small children could share the middle bed?

Thanks for all of your responses. I called and we were upgraded to two family midship balcony cabins together for only roughly $200 more. We think the little ones can sleep on the couch head to head. Thanks again and love the board thus far!

That's a fantastic move for a great price! Enjoy!