What is the primary problem with Curtis Stone in the MDR

Loreni

Oh they are around. They just don't much care to play. Either you like it or you don't. They just figure it makes mores sense to form an opinion based on personal experience rather than the constant cruise critc sniping based on supposition (at best) and jaw flapping (the most.)

[emoji106]🏻

Edited by dtb55
edit

Thanks. I thought about providing a variety of sources, but the type of person who complains about Wikipedia usually isn't interested in learning anything, so it seems like wasted effort. =D

Ahhh, so you are the one who believes everything on Wiki is true :rolleyes:. You do realize that you don't actually have to know the facts to contribute.

So the guys elderly mother chose not to believe everything that is written on the internet so she is "that type". Maybe when she hit 80 she didn't care to learn something new every day.

Sorry, I just don't think you should ridicule this guys dead mother.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Ahhh, so you are the one who believes everything on Wiki is true :rolleyes:. You do realize that you don't actually have to know the facts to contribute.

And you're the one who doesn't realize the facts in Wikipedia articles are linked to external citations. The first citation in the sweetbreads article on Wikipedia is the Oxford dictionary definition. Is that legit enough for you? If not, could you tell me what source would be good enough?

I had some information about a common food misconception. I shared the information. I'm of the opinion that information is good. If people choose to take offense, that's on them.

(No need to invoke someone's mother--other posters including you chimed in with the Wikipedia ridicule. The really dumb thing is it just happened to be the first reference link I grabbed. Go ahead and Google and you'll see the same thing on other sites. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I actually knew what they were from a very old Pat Conroy novel. To be somewhat blunt, I work in a field and demographic where people don't have that knee-jerk reaction to Wikipedia, or else I would have gotten a different link to ward off this silliness.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

And you're the one who doesn't realize the facts in Wikipedia articles are linked to external citations. The first citation in the sweetbreads article on Wikipedia is the Oxford dictionary definition. Is that legit enough for you? If not, could you tell me what source would be good enough?

I had some information about a common food misconception. I shared the information. I'm of the opinion that information is good. If people choose to take offense, that's on them.

(No need to invoke someone's mother--other posters including you chimed in with the Wikipedia ridicule. The really dumb thing is it just happened to be the first reference link I grabbed. Go ahead and Google and you'll see the same thing on other sites. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I actually knew what they were from a very old Pat Conroy novel. To be somewhat blunt, I work in a field and demographic where people don't have that knee-jerk reaction to Wikipedia, or else I would have gotten a different link to ward off this silliness.)

I don't disagree with you on Wikipedia. I use it all the time. I like it for quick look ups. I even found your information useful. But, Momma always said, if you can't say something nice it is better not to say anything at all. All the guy said is You could tell that to my mother if she wasn't dead and no fan of Wikipedia. His mother is dead so there is no use giving information about Wiki to share with her. Common sense says she just doesn't care any more. Let us all hope there is no knee-jerking going on with her either. :eek:

Mom thanks you. :) Or she would if she were still alive. But if she were, I would be sure to pass along the news that she was wrong in calling brains by another name and that there are people she should apologize to on Cruise Critic because she apparently disturbed their refined culinary sensibilities :p

A little story about mom's home cooking. :rolleyes: Good grief.

Barging in briefly, haven't cruised Princess yet--

There's been a hot foodie trend for five or six years now of "New Southern" cuisine in the US. I suppose one could actually argue it's outdated at this point. But that's where the stuff like grit cakes and pork belly is coming from. Done right, it can be outstanding. (It doesn't sound like that's the case here. :))

Pork belly has been a trendy item in good Australian restaurants for quite a few years now, and it's usually excellent. It should be a dish that would work well on a cruise ship but there is obviously a lack of quality control, both during the cooking process and on the pass. The pork belly I was served on Golden Princess in April should never have left the kitchen. You could tell it was inedible just by looking at it.

Ewww,time to bring in ramsay.

He will sort it.

Oh yeah! I'd like to see that, especially if they could sneak him into the MDR incognito to critique the food.

I love his wit, he comes out with some awesome quips at times.

We went to the Gordon Ramsey restaurant in London a couple of years ago. Had an excellent degustation lunch, got invited to tour the kitchen afterwards, and were presented with a signed copy of the menu when we left. Unfortunately Ramsey wasn't there that day but apparently he does drop in often. The staff think very highly of him.

People don't like change. There are quite a few that have trashed his food without ever trying it. There have been good reviews of Share. I've never had a CS dish, but I'm willing to give them a try.

Share is not the MDR which is the subject of this thread.

Although there have been a (very) few good reviews of Share I have read, even those reviews do not always agree it is worth the higher price charged for Share than the $29 charged for the other specialty restaurants.

I have tried the CS flank steak on the MDR menu. I found it to be dry, tough and flavorless, not anywhere near as good as when I have it at home.

There are really two issues with the Curtus Stone dishes.

1. The actual quality of the food, which appears to vary at times, and the choice of dishes which aren't appealing in some circumstances and also which aren't suitable for people with certain dietary issues.

2. The fact that they replaced a couple of classic standbys - the beef and the salmon - which were often chosen by people with certain dietary issues, or who like plainer food, or who just want something basic and simple that night.

I wonder if there would be so much uproar about the CS items if they had left the original always-available items on the menu as well?

So the guys elderly mother chose not to believe everything that is written on the internet so she is "that type". Maybe when she hit 80 she didn't care to learn something new every day.

There was no ridicule of anyone's mother. The person's mother wasn't the one who said they weren't a fan of Wikipedia when he/she was given the information about Sweetbreads.

I'm fairly sure that the attacks on SHARE, were mainly about the ambiance, lighting and seating, even down to the type of timber used to manufacture the stools.

The quality of the food seemed secondary.

But I could be wrong.:)

And the attacks on the M.D.R menu, mainly centred around the lose of Beef Medallions.

But I could be wrong.

I'm fairly sure that the attacks on SHARE, were mainly about the ambiance, lighting and seating, even down to the type of timber used to manufacture the stools.

And the attacks on the M.D.R menu, mainly centred around the lose of Beef Medallions.

But I could be wrong.

I don't think you're wrong.

But I could be wrong.

I agree with you on one point. I don't like two of the three Curtis Stone dishes offered on the cruises I have been on. I wouldn't mind if they were additional and the Always Available beef medallions were ..... always available.

I have not been to a SHARE restaurant because it has not been on a ship we have been on, but we might have a look at it on the Emerald P. (I believe it is on the Emerald P.) When I look at the CS menu for SHARE, I am not tempted to try it. I also don't like the concept of 'trying food from other people's dishes.' I wouldn't even do that with my partner in a public restaurant. I do not think it is good table manners. And the thought of sharing other peoples dishes of food ...... yuk. I saw an extensive video of Curtis Stone extolling the virtues of his restaurant, and he clearly talked about sharing dishes.

But I could be wrong.

The whole MDR kitchen has lost the plot due to the scope Princess has allowed Curtis Stone. Other menu items are coming to the table in the same bland, stodgy appearance and the loss of 'always available' are tragic when you're presented with badly prepared and presented meals. It seems the MDR kitchen has been told how to cook and present all menu items and people are deserting the MDR in droves. Who knows, the intention of Princess could be to push us towards the paid for restaurant options.

I agree with you on one point. I don't like two of the three Curtis Stone dishes offered on the cruises I have been on. I wouldn't mind if they were additional and the Always Available beef medallions were ..... always available.

I have not been to a SHARE restaurant because it has not been on a ship we have been on, but we might have a look at it on the Emerald P. (I believe it is on the Emerald P.) When I look at the CS menu for SHARE, I am not tempted to try it. I also don't like the concept of 'trying food from other people's dishes.' I wouldn't even do that with my partner in a public restaurant. I do not think it is good table manners. And the thought of sharing other peoples dishes of food ...... yuk. I saw an extensive video of Curtis Stone extolling the virtues of his restaurant, and he clearly talked about sharing dishes.

Yep,clearly sharing dishes with others, is or can be considered offensive.And not good hygiene practise.

I always thought the concept of SHARE was, sharing good company.

Pork-belly is not a good product to cook,commercially,and the quality, that is being served, is inadequate.

I never experienced the Beef Medellions or salmon so cant comment,but I wonder what the reaction would be if they were bought back,under C.S'"s tutelage or name.

P/S I am no C.S fan.For the record.

Edited by mrs and mrs
spelling

.....I never experienced the Beef Medellions or salmon so cant comment,but I wonder what the reaction would be if they were bought back,under C.S'"s tutelage or name.

P/S I am no C.S fan.For the record.

Those dishes certainly wouldn't be prepared or presented in the same way if CS had full influence over the kitchen. Even now if you ask for the salmon (off menu item), they'll prepare it for you but it's not the same as pre CS. Pre CS it was perfectly cooked, unseasoned, full of original flavour salmon with wonderful fresh vegetables. When I've requested it off menu since the arrival of CS it's always arrived with some sort of sauce or spice and overcooked vegetables.

I'm fairly sure or presume that the 3 C.S. items in the M.D.R,are bait and hook, for SHARE>But that doesn't explain why they are on ships that don't have a SHARE, dining option.

Companies try all sorts of concepts and ideas, one day here, next day gone.

One could also subscribe to the theory, that by driving people out of the M.D.R,makes room for the Club Class Dining innovation.

Who knows.

I try not to comment on things I don't know about, but I can take a broad picture, from posters comments, and maybe add with a theory.

One thing I will theorise about is that, cruise-lines have created way to many Elites, Diamonds or what ever(my head swims with the levels)and they just cant cater to the whims and needs of previous freebies, and structure.

Hence the cut-backs, and new innovation's that are being tried.(Princess is not alone on this one)

They want new cruisers.

New cruisers that they can train.

Train them to the new standards of spec restaurants,etc,etc.

Loyalty will go straight out the window, as people ship-hop for better deals.

So as a new cruiser, I watch and look at Elites, diamonds,privileges being diluted and wonder, what is in store for us in the future.

Will we, invest so much in a line that,wont recognise us in the future.=,or reward us.

Not likely, we will be shopping around also.:):)

Yep,clearly sharing dishes with others, is or can be considered offensive.And not good hygiene practise.

:confused:

You've never been to a tapas restaurant? Shared several Asian dishes with a group? Had an Italian meal where there is a large antipasta platter to share, even pizza to share? Shared as salad or some steamed veges as a side to your main? Shared a bowl of fries? Sharing food doesn't mean eating off another persons plate. It means dishes placed centrally on a table with serving spoons.

There are a fair number of restaurants in Australia that offer "share plates", usually smaller serves, larger than an appetiser but smaller than a main, designed so that you can have several different taste experiences as part of a meal. Personally I think it's a great idea.

And let's face it, I'm not going to get any more germs off my DH sharing meals with him than I would kissing him. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I never experienced the Beef Medellions or salmon so cant comment,but I wonder what the reaction would be if they were bought back,under C.S'"s tutelage or name.

They'd be beige, served on a beige sauce, with beige accompaniments. :D

I did have the Beef Medallions last year on Dawn and they were amazingly good, especially given that overall the quality wasn't as good as I expected on that cruise. I'd like to see them come back, as the originals were, plain and unfussed with, for nights when you just want something simple.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

:confused:

You've never been to a tapas restaurant? Shared several Asian dishes with a group? Had an Italian meal where there is a large antipasta platter to share, even pizza to share? Shared as salad or some steamed veges as a side to your main? Shared a bowl of fries? Sharing food doesn't mean eating off another persons plate. It means dishes placed centrally on a table with serving spoons.

There are a fair number of restaurants in Australia that offer "share plates", usually smaller serves, larger than an appetiser but smaller than a main, designed so that you can have several different taste experiences as part of a meal. Personally I think it's a great idea.

And let's face it, I'm not going to get any more germs off my DH sharing meals with him than I would kissing him. :D

I think in response to the previous poster was the thought of sharing plates of food with strangers. And maybe them not using the correct serving utensils, but using their own knife and fork, to serve off a common dish, after having said utensil's in their mouth.

Just this morning in my dining room, I watch a woman, using her hands to scrape out corn-flakes from a no touch serve container.

I politely asked her for the container after she had finished, and said"'i''ll just throw that in the bin,if you have finished. She had know idea what I was on about or why I would do that.

MMhh instant double charge, and if she had questioned it, she would have been told.:)

As for going or eating at a share resteaurant,or tapas or chinese,we usually don't have time cause we are to busy,cooking,taking orders,serving,clearing,and standing over the pass to try and make sure everthing is alright.

When we do eat out we try and do very,very,very exclusive and for that we have to travel oh about 5 hrs.

Edited by mrs and mrs