US Embassy New Aug 29th Warning on Turkey

cruiseerf

"Threats to kidnap westerners"......This is a new part to these updates.

Last month the US Embassy allowed families of all US embassy personal to return home to the USA. They were strongly encouraged to go....

Safe Sails All! Keep your eyes open and your plans flexible. While terrorists acts can happen everywhere, Turkey is looking like a tough visit....

Sent from my U.S. Embassy Ankara

Security Message: Turkey Travel Warning Update

August 29, 2016

The U.S. Department of State continues to monitor the effect of terrorist incidents in Ankara, Istanbul, and Gaziantep, recurring threats, a visible increase in police or military activities, and the potential for restrictions on movements. U.S. citizens should carefully consider the need to travel to Turkey at this time. In addition, we have recently experienced delays securing consular access to U.S. citizens, some of whom also possess Turkish citizenship, detained or arrested by security forces. This replaces the Travel Warning dated July 26, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations in Turkey. As stated in the Worldwide Caution dated March 3, 2016, extremists throughout Europe have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate as well as religious sites and high-profile events. Most recently, they have threatened to kidnap Westerners and U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans, monitor local news for breaking events, and remain vigilant at all times.

Not to diminish the seriousness of the situation in Turkey, but the warning specifies U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border, or generally, southeast Turkey.

We also are scheduled to go to Kusadasi on our September 24th sailing, and would be surprised if Celebrity cancels based on this warning.

Kusadasi/Ephesus are at the Western edge of Turkey, and Bodrum is just below it but still far west. I would think they are still not included in the warnings.

Edited by Goes Cruising

I felt perfectly safe in Kusadasi/Ephesus in early August and I was traveling with a 13 year old daughter (and my husband). Yes, parts of Turkey are quite dangerous and we'd all be wise to avoid them, but avoiding Kusadasi because of conflict in southeastern Turkey is like saying do not travel to Texas because there's a hurricane hitting Florida.

Just my two cents.

With HAL just cancelling all port stops in Turkey, I wouldn't be surprised if our stop there in Oct will also be cancelled. In Sep & Oct, Celebrity has 11 port stops in Kusadasi and Royal Caribbean has 14, so we will see what happens. The Reflection is supposed to stop there on Sep 4 and the Equinox on Sep 5.

These threats have been there since the 90's As a businessman on trips there, I was warned not to travel east of Ankara.

Do you consider that a smart move? Not many people who get killed in a terrorist attack expect it, but many were foolish to put themselves in that position.

Do you consider that a smart move? Not many people who get killed in a terrorist attack expect it, but many were foolish to put themselves in that position.

So far Celebrity has not cancelled Kusadasi for a port stop on our cruise. My husband and I will be staying on the ship and will enjoy getting a massage, much better choice for us then going on shore. In my opinion hopefully Celebrity will decide to skip Kusadasi and choose another port stop.

Hmmmmm. We booked our May, 2017 cruise in late March of this year, and it included a stop in Kusadasi. By mid June of this year, they cancelled the Turkey call and replaced it with Valetta. Interesting, however, is that we have friends who sailed on the Reflection a just couple weeks ago, and they went to two ports in Turkey. I guess I was kind of surprised that they cancelled stops in the future but didn't do anything this year with all the stuff going on. No big deal; we've been there, just kind of odd timing. Given where Kusadasi is in relation to the troubles in Turkey, it seems like it should be fine to still call there, but I guess they have to cautious.

The Turkey stops will be cancelled if the experts who determine liability say that the $$$ risks outweigh the reward. Insurance underwriters play a huge part in this. With strong warnings such as this out there, IF there is a missile strike or shooting or bombing, lawsuits will have added merit if Celebrity cruises a US cruiseline, with predominantly US passengers did not heed the strong warning provided by the US GVT.

I just wonder if Celebrity RCL will cancel in advance or we will all get an adjustment itinerary upon embarkation??

Safe Sails to all!

"Threats to kidnap westerners"......This is a new part to these updates.

Last month the US Embassy allowed families of all US embassy personal to return home to the USA. They were strongly encouraged to go....

Safe Sails All! Keep your eyes open and your plans flexible. While terrorists acts can happen everywhere, Turkey is looking like a tough visit....

Sent from my U.S. Embassy Ankara

Security Message: Turkey Travel Warning Update

August 29, 2016

The U.S. Department of State continues to monitor the effect of terrorist incidents in Ankara, Istanbul, and Gaziantep, recurring threats, a visible increase in police or military activities, and the potential for restrictions on movements. U.S. citizens should carefully consider the need to travel to Turkey at this time. In addition, we have recently experienced delays securing consular access to U.S. citizens, some of whom also possess Turkish citizenship, detained or arrested by security forces. This replaces the Travel Warning dated July 26, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations in Turkey. As stated in the Worldwide Caution dated March 3, 2016, extremists throughout Europe have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate as well as religious sites and high-profile events. Most recently, they have threatened to kidnap Westerners and U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans, monitor local news for breaking events, and remain vigilant at all times.

We will NOT go no where near Europe.

Not to diminish the seriousness of the situation in Turkey, but the warning specifies U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border, or generally, southeast Turkey.

We also are scheduled to go to Kusadasi on our September 24th sailing, and would be surprised if Celebrity cancels based on this warning.

Kusadasi/Ephesus are at the Western edge of Turkey, and Bodrum is just below it but still far west. I would think they are still not included in the warnings.

The new part to the warning is

"In addition, we have recently experienced delays securing consular access to U.S. citizens, some of whom also possess Turkish citizenship, detained or arrested by security forces."

This fits with the recent wave of anti-american comments being made in the press and by the government, including demonstrations outside of the major US airbase.

On the UK Celebrity site, when you look at Reflection for 10th October, there is no itinerary showing and you get an Oops type message to ring in with enquiries.

So could be Itinerary change in the offing or just Celebrity IT glitches at work again.

On the UK Celebrity site, when you look at Reflection for 10th October, there is no itinerary showing and you get an Oops type message to ring in with enquiries. So could be Itinerary change in the offing or just Celebrity IT glitches at work again.

Appreciate these postings and all of these details. We have friends scheduled later in September on a Celebrity Silhouette cruise from Rome with a stop scheduled along the Turkish coast, plus Israel, etc. But, now Celebrity does not show that cruise on their website. Strange??!! Will keep following this issue with strong interest. AND, hoping for the best for all involved.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 154,906 views for this posting.

riclop I don't know where you are from but I'm assuming you are American. I would have thought you have more chance of being shot in your own country than caught up in a terrorist attack in Europe!

That's only if you frequent the ghettos.

This is the Canadian Gov. warning for Turkey as of today.

Turkey - Exercise a high degree of caution

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Turkey. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to crime, the threat of terrorist attacks and ongoing demonstrations throughout the country.

Border region with Syria - Avoid all travel

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria, due to a deteriorating security situation. See Security for more information.

Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis, Tunceli, Batman, Mus, Diyarbakir, and Hatay provinces - Avoid non-essential travel

Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to the provinces of Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis, Tunceli, Batman, Mus, Diyarbakir, and Hatay, which border Iraq and Syria, due to an unpredictable security situation.

No mention of Kusadasi

We were in Turkey this month on Celebrity Constellation - went to Ephesus -One of the highlight of our trip.

riclop I don't know where you are from but I'm assuming you are American. I would have thought you have more chance of being shot in your own country than caught up in a terrorist attack in Europe!

Based upon the numbers that is only if:

1. you shoot yourself (more then half of deaths by guns in the US are suicide)

2. Belong to a gang. (most of the rest involve gang members shooting each other)

3. Participate in the drug trade

4. Are in some very specific high crime areas in certain cities such as Detroit, Chicago, etc.

Outside that the odds are very very low. About the same as being involved in a terrorist incident.

The biggest issue with Turkey these days is not only the increased number of terrorist events, but the aftermath of the Coup attempt as well. The government crack down has included a lot of anti-American and to some degree comments about countries in the EU as well in Turkish media as well as government comments.

So you have a country that is locking up thousands of its own citizens, increased attacks on the Kurds (generating counter action by the PKK), in hostile dialog with western governments (wanting the EU to give Turkish citizens non-visa access, wanting US to turn over the person they are publicly blaming for leading the coup without going through the full US legal process and provide necessary proof). Now you have the US embassy indicating that they are having issues getting access to US citizens that have been detained.

Edited by RDC1

This is the Canadian Gov. warning for Turkey as of today.

Turkey - Exercise a high degree of caution

There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Turkey. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to crime, the threat of terrorist attacks and ongoing demonstrations throughout the country.

Border region with Syria - Avoid all travel

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria, due to a deteriorating security situation. See Security for more information.

Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis, Tunceli, Batman, Mus, Diyarbakir, and Hatay provinces - Avoid non-essential travel

Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to the provinces of Hakkari, Siirt, Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis, Tunceli, Batman, Mus, Diyarbakir, and Hatay, which border Iraq and Syria, due to an unpredictable security situation.

No mention of Kusadasi

We were in Turkey this month on Celebrity Constellation - went to Ephesus -One of the highlight of our trip.

We would much prefer that Kusadasi (scheduled for Sep 9) be replaced with Rhodes, just to be certain.

We would much prefer that Kusadasi (scheduled for Sep 9) be replaced with Rhodes, just to be certain.

Hear, hear, I second that option! .... we're scheduled for Oct 3rd, so I'm looking forward to hear what happens during your cruise :)