Why do I torture myself?

KarenRB

What kind of masochistic character flaw makes me go back and check the current price of a cruise I booked after I made final payment?

Booked the 9/11 Escape cruise yesterday and 24 hrs later, the balcony price went down $150. Sigh.

Karen

What kind of masochistic character flaw makes me go back and check the current price of a cruise I booked after I made final payment?

Booked the 9/11 Escape cruise yesterday and 24 hrs later, the balcony price went down $150. Sigh.

Karen

LOL.... I think we all need a support group..... my inside went down $225 for a November trip

Karen

Karen, not sure if they still have this but NCL used to have a 24 hour price guarantee. If you call them you may lower it or they may be nice and give you a portion of it in on board credit

I have been doing that for our Breakaway trip on 9/11 that I book last year! I agree, we do need a support group!

Have you seen a price decrease on the 9/11 BA? I am on the same one and booked over a year in advance. I have seen the price stay the same, except now I would have to pay the 18% on the UBP that I didn't pay when I booked, so the price increases by $200. Have you tried any upsells? I was considering it just to see what they offer.

Someone on my roll call for November just got a nice upgrade. I am backing slowly away from looking at the prices. I picked my cabin because that is the one I wanted (B6, near the stairs) and I don't WANT another cabin. Seeing how much the price has dropped will just make me crazy. Even more because I booked in January, solo, and paid just less than double. We roll the dice and take our chances, right?

Karen

The consolation is we are not alone!:)

I have been doing that for our Breakaway trip on 9/11 that I book last year! I agree, we do need a support group!

I feel fortunate . My category is sold out. Otherwise I know that I would be obsessing, as our cost for this cruise was more than I wanted to pay. Not that it ended up stopping me!

Karen

I share your pain. Choice of cruise was between two, but the second one was much more expensive than the one we booked so at the time the decision was easy. Itineraries are similar. I now see that the price of the expensive one has dropped dramatically and on a couple of websites it is even cheaper :eek: than ours which price hasn't moved at all. There's a lot to be said in waiting and booking late.

Still, we'll be on holiday and I won't care about prices (too much :D)

I actually called the upsell department to find out how much it would cost to upgrade to the DOS from our 2br Suite, even when I knew our 2 sons would never sleep in the same bed. I just wanted to know (and see if I could lure them into the change)!

Have you seen a price decrease on the 9/11 BA? I am on the same one and booked over a year in advance. I have seen the price stay the same, except now I would have to pay the 18% on the UBP that I didn't pay when I booked, so the price increases by $200. Have you tried any upsells? I was considering it just to see what they offer.

They would not give you the UBP now. It's too close to sailing. Bookings made within 30 days of sailing do not get perks. Those are your bargain prices, but any bookings at this time are probably going to be guarantee cabins. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't pay the 18% on the UBP.

Edited by vince_g

I'm booked in an aft balcony (first ever there!) and that category has been sold out for a while. I know the rate had gone up before selling out. I'm curious as to what an upsell would be, even though I don't intend to move. Maybe I should call tomorrow just to see....starting to see price drops throughout the ship, as I don't think it was selling well. Things are starting to become sold out.

They would not give you the UBP now. It's too close to sailing. Bookings made within 30 days of sailing do not get perks. Those are your bargain prices, but any bookings at this time are probably going to be guarantee cabins. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't pay the 18% on the UBP.

I don't think that is the case right now, I know was in the past. I've been doing mock bookings for the September 11th cruise on the Getaway and they allow me to select the promo.

Karen

If it was truly only twenty-four hours ago you should call Norwegian because they might make it right when it was that recent.

Karen, not sure if they still have this but NCL used to have a 24 hour price guarantee. If you call them you may lower it or they may be nice and give you a portion of it in on board credit

We have done this a few times, called and rec'd OBC.

Our neighbors on one sailing, were offered a cabin upgrade......

Too late now, and this doesn't work as well as it used to, but if you can, try booking when it's between 31 and 75 days out, and often you'll find the best rates.

Don't try this on cruises which sell out frequently, but it works on less popular itineraries, albeit not as well as it used to (since Del Rio took over and squashed a lot of the extreme fare discounting).

Karen

It is actually a 48 hours you can get credit if it lowers after you make the final payment. And we have had this sort of thing happen a few times with us over the last few cruises and when it is too late we still call and they work with us. We went on the Escape a few months ago and a week before we sailed the price dropped $1,000 total between three of us and when I called they told me the unwritten protocol is they give 15% of the price drop in onboard credit and they gave me $150 credit.

(since Del Rio took over and squashed a lot of the extreme fare discounting).

Keep thinking he will move on. Considering jumping ship for Royal Caribbean. ::D

None the less it doesn't hurt for the person to call and discuss it with them. When you're still in the phase where the charge hasn't even cleared your credit card yet I think they might be amenable to working with her.