Sea Dream I

ho-hum

I'm with you and not sure why others are giving SeaDream a pass on this one. My husband and I are victims of these poorly thought out, last minute cancellations. We had just arrived in France for a back to back 14 day cruise when we got the word only a day and a half before we were to board SD1. Maybe others don't mind being told it's off after 15 hours of travel but I am not one of them. Especially after I found out the fire occurred 6 weeks ago!

I think they could have projected at least a week or two out to try and help customers re-group and make alternate plans. This mere 1-2 days before the trip cancellation is bad form. We'll see how well they treat us after they see the bills we had in order to re-book our flight home.

I feel terrible for the crew and was relieved to find no one was hurt. They are a lovely bunch! We were very happy with the product and this was to be our 6th cruise with them but I am very disappointed in this company right now. I'll let you know what happens.

Please do let us know how they treat you. That is the type of information that will make us decide to sail on SD or not. You say you were booked on back to back. I assume your first sailing was scheduled to be the one on the 22nd and the second cruise being the one a week later. Did they cancel both or just the first cruise?

I am getting a bit concerned and am anxious for any information on the 10/29 cruise. I am not going to be happy if we make the long trip and are cancelled. We leave tomorrow and are on the crossing as well.

Years ago we were on a mega line when they sold the ship out from under the bookings. Not only did the line only give a $50 on board, they transferred everybody to another ship with different departure date and itinerary with no right to cancel (we were past the final payment date). They refused to allow anybody to cancel or choose a different date, even a couple on their honeymoon whose wedding plans were disrupted, and,yes, it was hidden in the gobbledegook contract. Considering that I think SD is being generous. I still won't be happy If they do another last minute cancellation.

Please do let us know how they treat you. That is the type of information that will make us decide to sail on SD or not. You say you were booked on back to back. I assume your first sailing was scheduled to be the one on the 22nd and the second cruise being the one a week later. Did they cancel both or just the first cruise?
Our booking number was for both legs but the follow up email from them included the booking number but labeled it Cannes to Rome. We wrote back and reminded them it was a Cannes to Cannes for that booking number so I assume it was for the whole 14 days. Anyway, we were not going to hang around and pay for hotels for another 7 days and then fly to Rome on the hopes that the 10/22 leg was on. Turns out we were right. It was canceled. As far as rescheduling a cruise we are just not interested in the Caribbean as we live in SW Florida. We have a long cruise on Regent scheduled already for the Middle East in the spring. There is nothing SD has for the rest of 2017 lives up to the one they canceled. We'll see.

Put me down as agreeing with Ho-Hum on this one.

We know from our 13 prior voyages over 8 years the high level of personalized service onboard always and shore side almost always. This is a very difficult situation and far from routine so fits and starts are to be expected. Have we had issues onboard and otherwise from time to time, of course. Have those issues almost always been resolved, yes. Is there anything better than the SD experience, all things considered, not that we've experienced or heard from others.

Friends who were to have been on one of the first voyages to be cancelled last month were extremely satisfied with how their situation was handled - from generous future bookings at no additional cost, to discounts, to new travel arrangements and reimbursements as their 7-day SD voyage was the anchor for a long-planned five-week trip to various cities in Europe before and after SD.

To most of us, SD is much more than a faceless entity. After all, it is essentially a small family business. If you want to go corporate to a conglomerate for your travel, well thank goodness at least for now we still have market economies in the West and competition and choice, so go have it as the floating hotels and smaller ships elsewhere await. For the rest of us, we will take SD, any warts and all, because it isn't faceless to us - we see the faces of our friends and extended families in the faces of the crew and the very genuine smiles on their faces when we board and interact with them with mutual respect, not in any hierarchical way. Same for friends made among fellow passengers. We can't wait to board again and wish all at SD nothing but the best and look forward to SD1 sailing again soon.

Nicely stated JES4845

Yes! SDI will sail on Saturday as scheduled. Except from Nice not Cannes. Bit of scrambling to arrange transfer change. SD is providing a shuttle from Cannes but we are in Monaco. Also have luggage shipped ahead that is in limbo. SD says we have to work it out thru luggage free who says "don't worry. We'll take care of it" which translates to worry!worry! worry! In the meantime SDl purser is also working on it. Next will turn hotel concierge lose on it. Wonderful hotel, really impressed! Best $100 continental btrakfast we've ever had.

Never heard back from luggage free, but lovely Brenda and other staff on SD1 took over and assure me that all is well and the bags will be transferred tomorrow. This is why I love SD. The vessel may be older but the crew and staff is spot on!

JoAnne

With the sailing of SDI again, why don't we send a short message of support to the SDI crew by emailing them at:

sd1-concierge@seadream.com

Hum did one a few moments ago.

OK he got a little carried away and "gushed" away possibly because he is cognisant that with the exception of the good chums here, very few have sent ANY messages of support !

Hum suggested it was mentioned here onboard (SDII) but perhaps wise counsel suggested it may cause a tad concern to new passengers in the same manner as "don't mention the US election" thinking we all become crazed and terrified of either candidate be elected !!!

SD forum chums are made of sterner stuff (well mostly they are and definitely all those that read "idle jottings" are, having become brutalised by Hum's posts and those of a few other regulars........yee-haw !).

But we happy band of despots, baddies, despicables, we shall not be silenced by authority.

So don't just sit there, send a note of support no matter how long, short flowery or circumspect but please do it.

You don't have to be a poster here.

Hum's not saying they need us but it would be jolly nice, wouldn't it ?

Well, the good news is that we boarded and left port. Only to sit off Nice until about 3:00 today when we finally got clearance. The problem was fixed last night but red tape kept us here. Missed st tropez. Would have gone on to cassis, but... Cassis refused to let us stop for some unknown reason. No fear, Capt. Lund found another stop for tomorrow. Just not Cassis. Of course being a hardy lot it was taken in stride. Along with another glass or so of wine.

Regarding crew, I was told that staff and crew stayed aboard and was well cared for. No loss of wages and flexible work schedules and good food. They were totally rested up for this totally well behaved (how did that happen) roster and greeted us with lots of hugs!. Sadly Capt S will not be aboard for the crossing, but will join in the Caribbean the following cruise.

If you go to this website and click on the Panoramique Video today, you will see SeaDream I at anchor off Collioure on the French/Spanish border. Keep watching for the webcam to pan to the right in order to see the yacht.

http://www.collioure.com/decouvrir/webcam

If you watch long enough, you will see the tenders coming and going to the port.

Enjoy,

Simon :)

Understandable mistake, Oliveau. Octopus is owned by Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. We've seen it a couple times in St. Barts, and most recently in Cannes during the film festival this year, when it was at anchor near us. Tom Cruise was rumored to be aboard, but we did not see him. Of course, he would have gone ashore in one of the two helicopters she carries. Just one of the differences between Octopus and SeaDream. She's also 80 feet longer than "our" yacht.