Sea Dream I

ho-hum

If one has to have an "event" at sea, my DW and I have long said (and posted somewhere on this board) we would much prefer to be on SeaDream as opposed to the Behemoth of the Seas. Much better chance of snagging my very own floating lounge chair to jump overboard with....:eek::D

JES4845 - don't get me wrong - the crew on board a couple of years ago worked their you know what’s off all voyage long to make us unfortunate passengers as comfortable as possible. As I mentioned, they were so embarrassed at the "state" and condition of their vessel - and that passengers were allowed to board in the first place. My comments were in no way intended to disparage the crew... they were VERY good.

Regarding Jim's point... I'm not so sure I agree. In the event of a dangerous event, I'd much prefer to be on board as new a ship as possible - with the latest and greatest technology regarding alarm systems, fire detection systems fire protection systems, piping/plumbing, doors, water supply/pressure, general build materials etc. It's kind of like moving into a high-rise building built in the 80's vs. something that was built in the last few years. There are exceptions to everything of course, but I think a new-build would generally be a safer bet in an emergency than an older, aging building.

Just my thoughts... these ships are oldies and one definitely rolls the dice when booking - and these points are just some things that prospective travelers should assess before booking and decide what's important to them.

i went back and reread the aforementioned thread from 2014 and that individual's experience was indeed unfortunate. Thankfully we all have different tastes, interests and goals for travel and myriad choices in the marketplace to match, including for "cruising" travel (many of us still prefer "yachting"). As the 2014 thread shows by my later posting on it, this can be a gamble and there was a time we too were concerned. However, after trying bigger luxury ships, we are back home as seadreamers. This year alone we've been on both sd1 and sd2 with over a dozen voyages the past 8 years and did not encounter any of the mechanical issues in the 2014 thread this year. We daily saw hard work to keep the ships looking and working up to the standard of a luxury yachting experience. Are they perfect, no? Are there risks, yes - but there are risks on bigger ships of various kinds that are well known, even on safely run incident-free voyages (not to mention tragedies on some larger, newer ships). For example, we witnessed very long lines in the few ports where big ships could go; most of our ports were too small for the floating hotels. In sum, sd 1 and 2 are classics and do need and receive regular maintenance, from soft goods to hardware. Count us among those who gladly embark on these classic vessels, wrinkles and all, for an unforgettable experience with the best crew and enjoyable fellow passengers - all well worth the price paid, at least for us.

amen

A new ship ehh (for improved safety) ?

Ha !

Somebody hasn't been reading the news just recently (was it 4 crew killed and one entire ship's guests evacuated ? All in the last few weeks !).

No.

Give Hum:

- a small ship

- a crew who know what the heck they are doing and have been doing it for years: they could do it in their sleep

- a crew who are retained and love the ship

- where the crew know the passengers

- where the Captain and senior officers know the crew (who can be totally relied upon and who may need an extra bit of attention)

- where the crew treat guests as real guests (and even as family: no not like your family where they barely put up with you !)

- where the crew really do know their drills (Hum witnessed one crew member who didn't attend a drill sitting on the dock waiting to go home the following day and it wasn't for their vacation!)

- where there has been a successful emergency procedure undertaken (so they know what it's like for real as has happened on both ships. Hum was on SDII when there was an actual "pirate attack" ! The crew were brilliant: passengers less so until they were firmly told to comply by crew and Hum !)

- where the Captain and crew ask the guests to really pay attention at muster drill (most passengers are talking of some banality or other and not paying proper attention: Hum exaggerates listening to every word and focussing his attention on the "tannoy" in sober earnestness but there is always some idiot trying to introduce themselves to Hum, usually from Texas: Hum directs them to listen to the instructions first ! Hum also assists in doing up their lifeboat vests, if he didn't they could trip up on the long belts and break their necks ! Hmmmm....note to self: Don't help women from Texas ! Unless they are really pretty).

- where senior officers and Captains really know what they are doing (not chosen because of social performances: remember the idiot on the Costa)

- where there are a significant number of regular passengers who can assist others (in all sorts of ways such as directing people to exits even)

People save and help people.

Equipment, in and of itself is just that, useless in the wrong hands.

Having "super-duper" all knowing equipment make people complacent.

Have you never watched "Titanic".

Un-sinkable it was said.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/09/articles/fires-1/fire-breaks-out-on-seadream-i-in-italy/

In the interest of new information, I am posting the link to Cruise Law News about SeaDream 1. Scroll down to the comments section where someone who says they were on board at the time has posted their comments. Not taking sides here, just posting new info as found.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/09/articles/fires-1/fire-breaks-out-on-seadream-i-in-italy/

In the interest of new information, I am posting the link to Cruise Law News about SeaDream 1. Scroll down to the comments section where someone who says they were on board at the time has posted their comments. Not taking sides here, just posting new info as found.

Thanks for directing Hum to where the comments were to be found Jim.

Fair and reasonable is how Hum would view them.

It must have been awful and naturally upsetting.

For passengers AND crew AND management.

And we should offer opinions, all kinds.

But opinions can be challenged too.

Especially if they are just being negative with no supporting argument.

I can fully understand SD taking time to get people off the ship. First, the emergency was over, the fire was out, and the ship was still seaworthy but had no power. Take your time and have people gather their belongings and get a "rescue" ship that can take everyone to the port. It also gives you time to arrange for transportation and lodging. I am sure that it was more comfortable being on the ship than standing at a dock waiting for a bus. The comment on water is probably an overstatement in that they probably had bottled water to drink.

Bottom line is that it sounds like SD did a fantastic job of taking care of the emergency.

I can fully understand SD taking time to get people off the ship. First, the emergency was over, the fire was out, and the ship was still seaworthy but had no power. Take your time and have people gather their belongings and get a "rescue" ship that can take everyone to the port. It also gives you time to arrange for transportation and lodging. I am sure that it was more comfortable being on the ship than standing at a dock waiting for a bus. The comment on water is probably an overstatement in that they probably had bottled water to drink.

Bottom line is that it sounds like SD did a fantastic job of taking care of the emergency.

You make a whole lot of sense lovecruisingtoo.

Ho "ra-ra" Hum

Latest SeaDream Advisory today cancels SEADREAMII (!) for Sept 24 and runs SeaDream Is itinerary for that week. Assume this means SD I is still not runnable for the next week. SD II must not have been very heavily booked. As the world turns......

http://www.seadream.com/advisory/

Edited by Jim Avery

Does anyone know how much in advance these cruises have been cancelled?

I ask as we have booked on a very short taster cruise on 12th October, however we are travelling to Nice for a few days beforehand.

If the cruise is cancelled then we would not want to go to Nice and would have to cancel that as well. Luckily booked as a package with the TA so hopefully would be covered for cancellation. The whole object of the trip was to try the Seadream experience.

Does anyone know how much in advance these cruises have been cancelled?

I ask as we have booked on a very short taster cruise on 12th October, however we are travelling to Nice for a few days beforehand.

If the cruise is cancelled then we would not want to go to Nice and would have to cancel that as well. Luckily booked as a package with the TA so hopefully would be covered for cancellation. The whole object of the trip was to try the Seadream experience.

They have announced on the SeaDream website within the week before a cancel. Friends of ours were scheduled for this week and were unaware as late as the Tuesday. I called them and asked what they would do and they did not know about it. If I were booked on the one you are on, I would give the office in Oslo or Miami a call and ask for sure. Sounds to me like it is a day to day thing. Hopefully SD I will be back in action this coming weekend.

From MarineTraffic.Com data it sure looks like SD1 has been up, out and about the Bay of Naples the past few days here and there. She is now docked at a different location in the port in Naples. Let's all hope this is like when the patient is up and about walking the hospital corridor after successful surgery! We all continue to wish our many friends at SD the best and look forward to joining them all again soon. Please pass on any additional information the more knowledgeable here pick up.

From MarineTraffic.Com data it sure looks like SD1 has been up, out and about the Bay of Naples the past few days here and there. She is now docked at a different location in the port in Naples. Let's all hope this is like when the patient is up and about walking the hospital corridor after successful surgery! We all continue to wish our many friends at SD the best and look forward to joining them all again soon. Please pass on any additional information the more knowledgeable here pick up.

That sounds like good news. Thank you for sharing.

That does sound like progress. The next SD I cruise showing on their site is October 12 from Nice. Is there another charter in there somewhere? Naples to Nice is not that far so that is a good thing, time wise. We need less drama and more talk of fun and food here!:eek::D Just kidding, more info is always a good thing, right Mr. Hum???