Sea Dream I

ho-hum

Yes, it is me! This will be my fifth time on board SeaDream and the 2nd this year!

Really loving SeaDream and so was very sorry to hear about the fire on board a few days ago. I hope all the wonderful crew are being well looked after.

I'm still trying to find an excuse (as if I need one) to get back on the Hebridean Princess!

Hope you are well.

Simon

I'm booked on the Christmas sailing of SeaDream I and after hearing the news about the fire in the engine room, I emailed SeaDream in Norway. This is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

SeaDream I is currently in Naples undergoing repairs and our plan is that the voyage you are booked on will go as planned.

For up to date information on SeaDream I, I recommend our advisory page: www.seadream.com/advisory

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions."

Let's hope that she is back in service very soon.

Simon

Greatly appreciative Simon.

Great news.

And SD shoreside management issued a clear update very quickly too !

Ruddy marvellous.

Blondie's parents used to live in Southwold.

Where Adnams Brewers are located and of course Adnams Wines !

Beautiful county.

Have a great trip.

Yes, it is me! This will be my fifth time on board SeaDream and the 2nd this year!

Really loving SeaDream and so was very sorry to hear about the fire on board a few days ago. I hope all the wonderful crew are being well looked after.

I'm still trying to find an excuse (as if I need one) to get back on the Hebridean Princess!

Hope you are well.

Simon

We are doing our fourth Hebridean cruise next year. It was your review that convinced me to book them the first time!

I hope to get back to SeaDream eventually. Awful to read about the fire on SeaDream I and hope she's back in commission soon!

Today's advisory at the SD website is that the Sept 17 sailing is expected to go as planned. The advisory suggests checking often for any changes. This seems to indicate the repairs are going well. Good news for SD I sailors.:D

And we applaud SD Shoreside Management for these regular updates.

Great job.

Why did the bridge lower Jim ?

The "Accident Report" could'nt be opened.

As has been famously said before: "What we have here is failure to communicate". A serious Career Limiting Move for someone. How a bridge tender can initiate closing with a rather large moving object approaching is beyond my scope of stupid. (Hopefully) When ever I made bridge passages I always had radio communication established with the bridge well in advance and repeatedly spoke on approach, during passage, and after to thank the bridge tender for not killing me. Never had a problem. I found this while looking for some detail on the SD fire and just had to post as it makes the SD issue appear rather minor which we all hope it is. What really amazed me was how sturdy the bridge appeared and just how fragile a steel ship is. The bridge, superstructure, and funnel peeled back like paper. Scary stuff but glad no one was killed. Now THAT is a ship that will miss more than a couple of voyages.

Whoa Jim, you wouldn't want ship happening like that too often. So lucky no one killed or even injured. Lucky get for the photographer.

Cheers, Millie

Hi Millie,

Yes, good that they had the good sense to run like a Dingo when they saw the bridge lowering! It is amazing what gets filmed these days with all of us carrying around cameras on our phones. Who'd a thunk it? I never had problems with bridge passages when running ships but there is this tale about ramming a mountain in the Canadian Inside Passage. Not a fit story for the good souls at Cruise Critic. Only fit for TOY Bar recounting.:eek:

Cheers,

J.

We just completed a week on SD II, had 18 passengers who had moved from their planned trip on SD I to our trip. They all spoke highly of how well SD shore staff had supported them. Many of these folks were on back to back and thus SD was not only scrambling to get them a week on SD II (this week is a charter) but also find other options for their second week of holiday).

Last night (final evening on ship), Capt Steiner gave an update on SD I and confirmed she would be back in commission for next Saturday's trip starting 17 September!!! Figured that if he would make such a public announcement, it has to be true!

We just completed a week on SD II, had 18 passengers who had moved from their planned trip on SD I to our trip. They all spoke highly of how well SD shore staff had supported them. Many of these folks were on back to back and thus SD was not only scrambling to get them a week on SD II (this week is a charter) but also find other options for their second week of holiday).

Last night (final evening on ship), Capt Steiner gave an update on SD I and confirmed she would be back in commission for next Saturday's trip starting 17 September!!! Figured that if he would make such a public announcement, it has to be true!

Fantastic news DC2 !

Thanks for letting us know.

Now just between you and 'ol Hummy, what is your relationship to DupontCruiser (who did a SDII xing back in Nov '10) ?

As others may have read, SD's advisory section on the web site, which to their credit keeps us all informed as to the status of SD1, has a new post dated today, Sept. 14, that says due to a delay receiving a spare part, this Saturday's voyage out of Nice is cancelled. While that is unfortunate, to say the least, it does sound like they are working very hard to make the necessary repairs. We can attest from our friends who were to be on last week's canceled voyage that SD is going out of its way to help those impacted by voyage cancellations. We continue to think about the crew and shoreside management as they address the situation. We all look forward to SD1's return.

As others may have read, SD's advisory section on the web site, which to their credit keeps us all informed as to the status of SD1, has a new post dated today, Sept. 14, that says due to a delay receiving a spare part, this Saturday's voyage out of Nice is cancelled. While that is unfortunate, to say the least, it does sound like they are working very hard to make the necessary repairs. We can attest from our friends who were to be on last week's canceled voyage that SD is going out of its way to help those impacted by voyage cancellations. We continue to think about the crew and shoreside management as they address the situation. We all look forward to SD1's return.

Indeed JES4845, SD shoreside management are indeed to be commended, nay HIGHLY commended for their new openness.

Naturally they will all be doing their very best to get SDI up and running.

The crew are "holed up" in a very nice hotel in Naples; again well done SD shoreside management for looking after them so very well.

So very glad to read that no one was seriously injured in this incident. This whole thread reminds me of the worst experience I've ever had on 30 cruises. It was a couple of years ago aboard SD I. It is detailed somewhat in this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2138509 - beginning in Post #6. Just an awful experience! Aside from the fantastic food, this ship was a joke then and ready to be retired 2 years ago, especially given the price point. Definitely not worth the gamble.

I went back and reread the aforementioned thread from 2014 and that individual's experience was indeed unfortunate. Thankfully we all have different tastes, interests and goals for travel and myriad choices in the marketplace to match, including for "cruising" travel (many of us still prefer "yachting"). As the 2014 thread shows by my later posting on it, this can be a gamble and there was a time we too were concerned. However, after trying bigger luxury ships, we are back home as SeaDreamers. This year alone we've been on both SD1 and SD2 with over a dozen voyages the past 8 years and did not encounter ANY of the mechanical issues in the 2014 thread this year. We daily saw hard work to keep the ships looking and working up to the standard of a luxury yachting experience. Are they perfect, no? Are there risks, yes - but there are risks on bigger ships of various kinds that are well known, even on safely run incident-free voyages (not to mention tragedies on some larger, newer ships). For example, we witnessed very long lines in the few ports where big ships could go; most of our ports were too small for the floating hotels. In sum, SD 1 and 2 are classics and do need and receive regular maintenance, from soft goods to hardware. Count us among those who gladly embark on these classic vessels, wrinkles and all, for an unforgettable experience with the best crew and enjoyable fellow passengers - all well worth the price paid, at least for us.

Edited by JES4845