Has anyone ever done this?

jewel825

My family of 6 is flying in and out of Miami but cruising out of Fort Lauderdale. Our flight after the cruise does not leave until 7:40 PM. We will be getting off the ship with all our luggage and really no where to go for several hours! I would hate to waste a day down in Florida just sitting in the airport when we could be hanging out at the pool or doing something else fun. Are there any hotels near the Miami airport that allow you book a room just for the daytime hours (approximately 10AM - 5PM)?

Also if you are flying an airline that participate in royals luggage valet program you will not have to deal with your luggage all day and can rent a car and/or Uber it to various beaches/locals to enjoy lovely south florida (renting a car you can drive to the keys)

Try looking for a hotel with a day pass, then you can hang by the pool. :cool:

That's what I'm trying to do. I thought it would be fun to spend the day at the pool and enjoy our last day on vacation that way instead of trying to kill time in an airport. It wouldn't be that hard if we didn't have all our luggage with us!

Would you be interested in taking a tour that drops you at the airport late in the afternoon? They usually have something available and they handle all your luggage for you as well. Just thought I would mention it.

The definition of "late afternoon" by RCI is 1 pm (if you´re lucky 2 pm) latest.

steamboats

Would you be interested in taking a tour that drops you at the airport late in the afternoon? They usually have something available and they handle all your luggage for you as well. Just thought I would mention it.

I was actually looking at the tours they do after the cruise and saw a fun one in the Everglades. Then I started doing the math on it (multiplying it by 6 to include everyone) and realized a day pass at a hotel might be a better option for us.

Also if you are flying an airline that participate in royals luggage valet program you will not have to deal with your luggage all day and can rent a car and/or Uber it to various beaches/locals to enjoy lovely south florida (renting a car you can drive to the keys)

We are flying American. How does that program work? I like the idea of it a lot!

Would love to see the Keys - ever since I started watching Bloodline!

Some of the "rent a car" companies allow pickup at FLL and drop at MIA.

Rent a car and see the sites with your luggage.

We like to enjoy the beaches and boardwalks. There also a number of Boat tours and the huge Sawgrass Mills outlet mall.

Enjoy your trip

We've rented a car and it has worked out very well. It was a rainy day so we went to Sawgrass Mills. It was an expensive day!

We are flying American. How does that program work? I like the idea of it a lot!

Would love to see the Keys - ever since I started watching Bloodline!

I believe American is part of the Luggage Valet program-- you get the form on board and fill it out and for 25 $ a bag they take direct to the plane and you pick up your luggage at bag claim when you arrive

Key west is about an hour and 1/2 drive from Miami I believe but there are great places to swim and snorkel well before key west. Day passes are OK at hotels but they can easily cost upwards of 75-95 pp and for 6 seems rather steep.

We have a late afternoon return when we cruise in November and will be spending the day at FT lauderdales beach area of which there are several listed on the FLL Beach website (and may places to eat as well) and best of all the beach is free!!

I believe American is part of the Luggage Valet program-- you get the form on board and fill it out and for 25 $ a bag they take direct to the plane and you pick up your luggage at bag claim when you arrive

Key west is about an hour and 1/2 drive from Miami I believe but there are great places to swim and snorkel well before key west. Day passes are OK at hotels but they can easily cost upwards of 75-95 pp and for 6 seems rather steep.

We have a late afternoon return when we cruise in November and will be spending the day at FT lauderdales beach area of which there are several listed on the FLL Beach website (and may places to eat as well) and best of all the beach is free!!

Key West is about a 5 hour drive from Miami.....it is Key Largo that is a hour and a half....it is the first Key going down into the rest of the Keys

Some of the "rent a car" companies allow pickup at FLL and drop at MIA.

Rent a car and see the sites with your luggage.

We like to enjoy the beaches and boardwalks. There also a number of Boat tours and the huge Sawgrass Mills outlet mall.

Enjoy your trip

I hadn't really thought of the rental car option but that would be fun too. There's so many things to see and do down there that it would be awesome to put together a list and hit a bunch of them.

We've rented a car and it has worked out very well. It was a rainy day so we went to Sawgrass Mills. It was an expensive day!

It's always expensive when a mall is involved! We stayed next door to the Galleria Mall last time we were there and on one of our rainy days we spent way too much money at the mall!

we have also done the one way car rental thing. we looked online and saw lots of interesting places to stop at.

I can get pretty good car rental deals through my work so I'll have to check that out. It may be a lot less money than staying at a hotel for the day. I like having all these different options. You guys are the best!

We had the same problem, late flight at 8pm back to the uk, we booked a room at the Hyatt in Orlando airport, they at least have a pool and a gym so we are going to ha g out there and chill until our flight

I saw that hotel in Orlando when we were on the Freedom last spring. I kept wondering who would ever stay at a hotel right inside the airport and now here I am looking for that exact thing!

Key West may be a little too far for what we want since will have a limited amount of time to go do something. I may do that luggage valet program though. That sounds perfect for us!

We rented a car in Miami and drove to FLL after our cruise. It was great b/c we got to go where we wanted, when we wanted. You can get good deals on rentals online.

I like the idea of going and seeing things on our own except none of our are familiar with the area at all!