Single Share program - experiences?

shipfriend_max

Hi @all,

I am thinking about a Norway cruise in 2017 on Koningsdam - I would like to share a stateroom via the single share program - does HAL still offer it, and has anyone made recent experiences?

I heard that you do not need to pay the single supplement, if you share a stateroom with an equal-sex passenger.

i know HAL's Koningsdam has dedicated single staterooms, but I'd prefer to share a stateroom.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

I did the single share program three years in a row, for cruises of 33, 34, and 35 days. It worked out very well for two of the three, with the third giving me tales to dine out on for years! :D But that was 11 years ago, and the rules have (as I understand it) changed since then.

When I did it, I paid the per person, double occupancy rate. I have heard that now the rate is much higher, much closer to the almost double rate that solos pay to have single occupancy. Check on this before you commit, as it might not be worth it to you if the charges are close to each other.

Settling in with a roomie was easy enough, so long as the lines of communication are kept open. I think it's easier than rooming with a friend, as there's no on-going relationship to be concerned with losing. Each takes a closet, one side of the vanity and shelf, nightstand. Work out the bathroom times. It has to be done in a cooperative spirit, but I find most people are willing to work together.

I did it for Antarctica in 2013. At that time, the ship was sold out and I was wait listed (for a short time until they opened up another sailing). I paid a very hefty SS, but less than the 200% that I would have had to pay for single occupancy (so I saved about $1500). I did have to take a guarantee (IIRC it was K or better). If I was on my own I would have opted for a less expensive cabin, but in reality when I purchased my fare it was a popular, expensive cruise. (It was supposed to be the last. And having missed the cruise 2 times in previous years because we waited and it sold out, I was willing to even consider a hammock in the laundry room if they offered it.)

I did not get placed with another. I did end up in a C, handicapped, alone. The cruise I did go on went on private sale after final and the fare ( with SS) was about 1/3 what I paid. So anyone who booked through that sale for that level of cabin would have taken single occupancy.

When I booked, they told me that they would try to match me with another lady, and try for the same age category. I did check on pricing for the cruise they added, and the fare (single occupancy) was much lower. However, the single share was something like $75 ( for 3 weeks) less than the single occupancy rate. So, as Ruth said, the rate is different for each cruise apparently.

One other down side: single share rates are not published as regular double or single occupancy rates. So if a category goes on sale, you cannot get the new rate.

I tried it twice, shortly after I was divorced and rather strapped for cash. The first time was perfect: they were unable to match me, so I had a double outside cabin all to myself with zero single supplement. The second time, I was paired - we sat down for half an hour and worked out secedules and ground rules, but it made me realize that without a lucky draw, it could have been a cruise from hell, as I ran into someone who had an impossible roommate and was on the verge of quitting the cruise and flying home - he said that the only reason he didn't was that he'd be damned if he'd give that s-o-b a cabin to himself.

After that, I shopped for good deals with low single supplements - always last minute cruises booked within a week of sailing. Now, happily re-married, no problems sailing with the best roommate in the world.

Thank you very much for your help. Yesterday I asked HAL on Facebook, and they told me it is still offered, and depends on sailing and category. They let me know when you get paired with bother pax on the stateroom, you clearly pay the common double occupancy rate.

Great to read that you also might pay it, if you do not get paired.

I read on their website that it is not offered in Suite accommodations, and not on longer runs anymore... [emoji5][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Used this once with excellent results and the regular ocean view cabin rate. What really helped was the roomie had done this many times so she lead the discussion about the 'rules'.

Was lucky as she always danced before dinner so had the cabin to myself to prepare as we both had early seating, neither if us were late night people but rather early morning people so we had coffee delivered every morning. My favorite was her question about what we would do if one of us 'got lucky'; she had suggestions which never came to be. Almost fell over when on the last full day I find out she was 88 years old. We corresponded for years until she passed.

Is there any other information I need to know about the program?

You are limited in the category selection, and you will be a "guarantee" status. No picking your own cabin.

When I did this, there was one inside, one outside, and (IIRC) one balcony category from which to select. I was upgraded once.

You are limited in the category selection, and you will be a "guarantee" status. No picking your own cabin.

That's definitely ok for me, since I am only sleeping in the cabin, at least for one week.

But I think I could choose the category inside or outside, I'd prefer inside.

I do not hope the offer is limited by ship... [emoji848]

Ok, on the Hal website I did not read that some regular cruises are restricted, just the very long ones... [emoji848]

I think nearly every regular cruise has it, but I have asked HAL about Koningsdam in Norway, whether they'd offer it on that cruise. But there I think so. [emoji5]

Just one question to clarify: when you share the stateroom with another passenger of equal gender, you do just pay the regular rate per person, based on double occupancy?

Yes, you pay the regular rate per person, double occupancy - even if you do not get a roommate assigned and have the cabin to yourself!

Just one question to clarify: when you share the stateroom with another passenger of equal gender, you do just pay the regular rate per person, based on double occupancy?

No, at least not necessarily in the last several years. There has been a single supplement, although not as high as when you take the cabin for yourself alone.

As Ruth said, at least in 2013, there was still a single supplement, and it depended on the cruise. The cruise after the one I was on (Antarctica) had a single share supplement of $89 less than the full single occupancy rate. ( I just saw my notes yesterday.) IRRC the rate for the single share for my trip was set at about 175% ( and a single occupancy was 200%). That remained the rate even though I did not get a roommate.

I believe you indicated a few posts back that HAL is now saying the program is only charging for double occupancy (the per person for 2).

I looks like HAL has changed, and renamed the program:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/about-best-cruise-lines/PR_Single-Part.pdf

Edited to say- maybe not. The link above is not dated. Other hits show something similar from 2008. So not sure if this is current.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Found this document after a search of the HAL website and it is just the print out of the above reference:

Holland America Line Single Partners Program

Holland America Line offers a Single Partners Program ideal for those who are sailing solo. The program lets singles connect with each other through special events and activities onboard and creates a camaraderie that makes it easy to meet other singles. Highlights of Holland America Line’s Single Partners Program include:

 Solo travelers party for singles to meet each other early during their cruise, hosted on all Holland America Line ships

 Social Hosts to welcome single women guests to dinner and provide dancing partners on select cruises 40 days or longer, excluding Collector’s Voyages

 Mixers, cocktail parties and games to let singles connect with each other

 Dinner seating with other singles by advance request

 More than 40 activities to meet other singles such as exercise classes, computer instruction, enriching lectures (select sailings), line dance class, wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, Team Trivia contests, the daily quiz and sports challenges

Holland America Line’s Single Partners Program also provides a way for a solo guest to share a stateroom with another same-sex single, so each pay only the per-person, double occupancy (Signature Fare, Promo LI) rate.

 If a partner is not available, the guest cruises solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare

 The program applies to selected staterooms on all ships in the fleet

 Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category

 The Single Partners Program is not available on Grand Voyages (Grand World Voyage, South America & Antarctic Voyage and Mediterranean & North Africa Voyage) or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys

For media inquiries, contact PR@HollandAmerica.com or 1-800-637-5029.

All other inquiries, contact 1-877-932-4259.

Edited by take us away

That's the document I found also on the HAL website.

Interestingly, HAL reservations in Europe can offer me a stateroom with a slight surcharge higher the the regular double occupancy rate, but HAL USA wrote me I need to pay the double occupancy rate.

I have asked them for a concrete price offer, let's see what I can expect...

Please let us know what happens - strange about the difference between HAL US and Europe....

Another german travel agent told me today I just could get the Single Share program via HAL USA.

HAL USA did not tell me any concrete price yet, I replied yesterday, but HAL Europe (HQ in NL) yesterday did so, so I am awaiting HAL USA's answer - I have asked them for a concrete price on Koningsdam for the fjord cruises in August.

Edited by shipfriend_max

I could update you soon...

Via HAL USA, I cannot book as a german citizen, and for the single share program in an inside stateroom, I would reoughly need to pay roughly 1600 $.

But another german travel agent could provice me a discount of roughly 200 $, so that I roughly need to pay 1400 $.

I have asked the travel agent for confirming me the discount, and if they do so, I am going to book...

Actually I pay in €, but to make it easier for you, I have converted it into $-fares. :)

I could update you soon...

Via HAL USA, I cannot book as a german citizen, and for the single share program in an inside stateroom, I would reoughly need to pay roughly 1600 $.

But another german travel agent could provice me a discount of roughly 200 $, so that I roughly need to pay 1400 $.

I have asked the travel agent for confirming me the discount, and if they do so, I am going to book...

Actually I pay in €, but to make it easier for you, I have converted it into $-fares. :)

Is the 1600$ the one person total for double occupancy, or a bit more (meaning there is a single supplement?