How strict is PCL on final payment date?

LizSydney

I don't think I asked that question. The rep said it had to be used in one year, but I do not remember asking for clarification. What struck me is that you cannot insure the cruise credit for cabncellation on the next cruise. You can get medical and evacuation, but an insurance company - or Princess, for that matter - will not cover the cruise credits because they have no cash value. You may argue that you paid cash for them, but they are not redeemabble for cash - hence, no coverage.

FYI: Future Cruise credits are indeed redeemable for cash. :)

Does that mean if you cancel for any reason you can trade your cruise credits for cash instead of applying them to another cruise? I have never had to cancel, but I'm having a hard time making sense of this.

The rep told me the credits could not be insured, but she never said that I could get cash instead. What is the procedure for doing that?

Edited by Babr

Does that mean if you cancel for any reason you can trade your cruise credits for cash instead of applying them to another cruise? I have never had to cancel, but I'm having a hard time making sense of this.

The rep told me the credits could not be insured, but she never said that I could get cash instead. What is the procedure for doing that?

Are you referring to a Future Cruise Deposit you bought or a cruise credit you were given?

I'm talking about cruise credits issued under the cancel-for-any reason provision of Princess Travel Protection. They are given as a goodwill gesture by the cruise line when you have to cancel for a reason not covered by standard provisions of the policy, therefore not reimburseable in cash.

Technically, you did not purchase them like a Future Cruise Deposit. You did pay for the cruise, but the credits were given in place of forfeiting the money by cancelling for an uncovered reason.

I have read the provisions of several third-party policies that do not recognize cruise credits, points, or gift cards as forms of payment and, therefore, do not reimburse them. That is why I asked the Princess rep about insuring a cruise booked with credits. She said Princess will not cover for cancellation, just the medical and evacuation part. She did not give the options of cash or of depositing them to my account for future use.

The difficult part is that I can't find the actual certificate of coverage for the Princess policy, only a summary of coverage on the Princess website that does not go into a lot of detail about how it is actually handled.

My take away was that you use the credits for another cruise within a year or you lose them. If anybody knows how it works from actual experience, I'd like to hear from you.

Not sure but I would think the FCC would go back into your account if you cancelled. Maybe that is why you cannot insure it? I do know that you can turn your FCCs back in for full value if you don't use them.

You're talking about apples & oranges.

A Future Cruise Credit would be given if you cancel the cruise when you have "cancel for any reason" insurance. The credit can be used to book a future cruise, but not cashed for $$.

A Future Cruise Deposit is the money ($100) that you buy a future deposit for a future cruise with your own cash. That one IS refundable if not used.

If you look at the form you use to purchase a FCD, you will see it's called Future Cruise Deposit.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Even if your have a credit card on file with Princess for automatic payment or - if you call Princess before the Final Payment Date to make payment - make absolutely certain that the amount Princess charges to your credit card, etc., is the exact amount that is due. A while back I called Princess a week before the final payment date - made final payment only to find the Princess Rep made an entering error of a mere 10 cents. Fortunately I checked my on-line Princess Personalizer soon after the phone call - saw the error, called Princess, made the additional 10 cent payment -and- asked what would have happened if I did not detect that billing error before the final payment date - I was told our British Isles cruise would have been cancelled. Yes - I know it's hard to believe and certainly you would think that someone from Princess would have done a double check - not so. Per Princess - it is the customers responsibility to make sure all booking detail are correct. Same thing can happen when booking through a TA or on-line cruise website. Do not assume all is well with your booking - stuff happens.

Just a couple of things for the original poster - As you can see I am from Sydney also and I don't quite understand your comment that you would ring Princess but their hours are so restricted - I have never had any problems ringing them. Secondly why don't you pay be credit card? Depending on your statement date you could have up to aprrox. month to pay it.:)