How strict is PCL on final payment date?

LizSydney

They didn't used to be strict but they are now (at least in the US).

If final payment is due on Sunday (or maybe Saturday), they will extend it to Monday as many agents don't work on weekends.

I wouldn't test it if you really want to go on the cruise.

I have a booking for November and I have just a few hundred dollars left to pay by the 14th of September. How strict are they with payment time lines if you give them a call and ask to extend by a week?

As September 14 is a Wednesday I would expect them to cancel the booking if the deposit isn't paid in full and on time. You can always try calling and asking for an extension but...

While it's always worth calling, I don't think that will help your issue. I think you'll need to come up with the money by the 14th or hope that you are able to cancel and rebook. Crazy thought, but have you checked the current price for your cruise? If it has decreased, you might be able to rebook at the new rate.

There is supposedly a new sale to be announced on Sept. 6. At least you'll be able to see if that would give you a better price on the cruise.

Edited by moki'smommy

That's not an option. I'd lose $700 (20% because of the time before sail date) and I have only $570 left to pay. I can most likely come up with it this week but did just want to double check that my thought was right that there'd be no chance of extending. I might flick them an email anyway.

While it's always worth calling' date=' I don't think that will help your issue. I think you'll need to come up with the money by the 14th or hope that you are able to cancel and rebook. Crazy thought, but have you checked the current price for your cruise? If it has decreased, you might be able to rebook at the new rate.

There is supposedly a new sale to be announced on Sept. 6. At least you'll be able to see if that would give you a better price on the cruise.[/quote']

From any pre-info I've seen, not sure that 3 For Free is available everywhere, and likely not in Australia.

That's not an option. I'd lose $700 (20% because of the time before sail date) and I have only $570 left to pay. I can most likely come up with it this week but did just want to double check that my thought was right that there'd be no chance of extending. I might flick them an email anyway.

It's always a good idea to get "cancel for any reason" insurance. IMHO

You spend a little more for the cruise, but if something comes up you get all your $$ back, except for the cost of the insurance.

You did buy insurance, didn't you? :eek:

Don't e-mail them. CALL them and if they say that you can delay payment, ask them to confirm that in writing. A verbal promise is not a promise.

DON

While it's always worth calling' date=' I don't think that will help your issue. I think you'll need to come up with the money by the 14th or hope that you are able to cancel and rebook. Crazy thought, but have you checked the current price for your cruise? If it has decreased, you might be able to rebook at the new rate.

There is supposedly a new sale to be announced on Sept. 6. At least you'll be able to see if that would give you a better price on the cruise.[/quote']

Based on the terms & conditions for the 3 for Free promotion it's only valid for "residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda and the District of Columbia".

And as others have posted the final payment date has been rigidly enforced for several years. Their computer system is probably programmed to automatically cancel cruises after that date & it appears that there's no way to argue with the computer.

Use a credit card. That way you don't actually have to make a payment until the credit card bill arrives.

It's always a good idea to get "cancel for any reason" insurance. IMHO

You spend a little more for the cruise, but if something comes up you get all your $$ back, except for the cost of the insurance.

You did buy insurance, didn't you? :eek:[/font

Cancel for any reason does not refund all your money. If you use Princess insurance, you get cruise credit, which is a goodwill gesture by the cruise line, not really insurance because you do not get cash back. The cruise credit must be used in one year.

If you buy third-party insurance, the cancel for any reason benefit usually pays 75% to 90% cash reimbursement, but I have not seen one that pays 100%. Maybe I just haven't found that one yet.

Edited by Babr

Cancel for any reason does not refund all your money. If you use Princess insurance, you get cruise credit, which is a goodwill gesture by the cruise line, not really insurance because you do not get cash back. The cruise credit must be used in one year.

If you buy third-party insurance, the cancel for any reason benefit usually pays 75% to 90% cash reimbursement, but I have not seen one that pays 100%. Maybe I just haven't found that one yet.

Whenever I've checked 3rd party insurance for cancel for any reason coverage it was considerably more expensive than through Princess. But as you said the 3rd party insurance provides a cash refund & Princess only a cruise credit but up to 100% of the cruise fare. Also Princess coverage includes airfare when purchased using EZAir without paying extra.

I haven't needed to use the cancel for any reason...when you say that the credit must be used within a year does that mean booking a future cruise within a year & not sailing within a year?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Whenever I've checked 3rd party insurance for cancel for any reason coverage it was considerably more expensive than through Princess. But as you said the 3rd party insurance provides a cash refund & Princess only a cruise credit but up to 100% of the cruise fare. Also Princess coverage includes airfare when purchased using EZAir without paying extra.

I haven't needed to use the cancel for any reason...when you say that the credit must be used within a year does that mean booking a future cruise within a year & not sailing within a year?

I don't think I asked that question. The rep said it had to be used in one year, but I do not remember asking for clarification. What struck me is that you cannot insure the cruise credit for cancellation on the next cruise. You can get medical and evacuation, but an insurance company - or Princess, for that matter - will not cover the cruise credits because they have no cash value. You may argue that you paid cash for them, but they are not redeemabble for cash - hence, no coverage.

I have a booking for November and I have just a few hundred dollars left to pay by the 14th of September. How strict are they with payment time lines if you give them a call and ask to extend by a week?

There could be risk of cancellation. Better to pay on due date.

My understand is that they are very firm, here in the US anyway. That is why many TAs actually want payment ahead of Princess' date to ensure there are no issues.

If you (or someone you know) has no credit card you can use, you might want to ask Princess if you can be switched to a lower-fare cabin that the amount you have already paid would cover in full. Not sure if they will go for it, but it is worth a try!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

The suggestion of paying Princess with a credit card is the best for delaying the actual time of having to pay the cash. If you're not opposed to paying interest you can spread out the payments over a longer period of time. I wouldn't take a chance on having my cruise canceled when it is nearly paid for.

Yup, that's why I document the date and time of the call, the full name or rep number of anyone I speak with that make any guarantees, so it can be reviewed if necessary.

What you do it all well and good but you should also get a confirmation in writing. Even with all the information that you have documented, it still come down to an unproveable he-said, she-said argument. Are you going to tape the call which is illegal or demand that they pull up their tapes of the call which they will not do.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The suggestion of paying Princess with a credit card is the best for delaying the actual time of having to pay the cash. If you're not opposed to paying interest you can spread out the payments over a longer period of time. I wouldn't take a chance on having my cruise canceled when it is nearly paid for.

I think this is your best option if you can't get Princess to give you a few extra days to pay. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.!!

Tony

The best suggestion is to pay by credit card.:)

A few people mentioned "cancel for any reason insurance". From what I see, Princess insurance is not available on cruises out of Australia. It is not mentioned in the brochure. I do not think commercial travel insurance companies here offer "cancel for any reason insurance" either.