What would you do, getting to the post options?

JAMESCC

I would like some input on just which option you would use to get to the port. Leaving Oct. 2nd on Breakaway, our first NCL cruise. Anyway we have two options for getting to the port. I have a friend that will drive us for free, yes free, but he is a terrible driver. Quite honestly he makes me nervous, he is one of these guys that constantly plays with the radio, the GPS unit, the phone.

Now we could go car service for 100 bucks one way, so 200 bucks round trip.

The question is free and scared to death or 200 bucks and piece of mind. I am in the pay and be safe, but my wife is on the free side. What would you do?

If it is more than a 30 minute drive I would go with the car service, but not because the guy is a bad driver, but because it will be a better ride and you will be waited on hand and foot. You will get help with your bags, both ways. There will likely be cold water in the car for your, etc. In addition on the return you know the guy will be where he is supposed to be and will be there when he says he will.

I would definitely pay the 200 bucks. I'm pretty much nervous with anyone driving because I don't have control of the car. When I absolutely have to ride with someone you describe, I bury my face in a puzzle book like sudodu so I don't have to watch the road or what the driver is doing.

Can you take Amtrak from where you live to NYC? From Penn Station it is a short cab ride to the terminal?

Look into mass transportation options.

Enjoy

Yeah we live in NJ and could take NJ Transit in. That actually seems like a decent option. I'll look into that. A can ride from the train station to the pier, short distance? We have our 3 year old son with us, hows that work safety wise? Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd pay, but I'm a nervous passenger (and prefer to drive myself - I drove to the pier for our last cruise). How about uber?

Yeah the 200 bucks would be Uber. I have another friend that does Uber and we'd just pay him directly instead of going through Uber, that way he gets more profit on the deal. The Uber friend is an excellent driver that would plan everything out, he is just like that.

Yeah we live in NJ and could take NJ Transit in. That actually seems like a decent option. I'll look into that. A can ride from the train station to the pier, short distance? We have our 3 year old son with us, hows that work safety wise? Thanks for the suggestion.

The Breakaway will be berthed at Pier 86 which by my map is between W 47th and W 45th.

Not sure whether you would be using Grand Central Station or Penn Station but neither is very far from the pier.

The Breakaway will be berthed at Pier 86 which by my map is between W 47th and W 45th.

Not sure whether you would be using Grand Central Station or Penn Station but neither is very far from the pier.

Penn Station, I thought Breakaway was at pier 88?

Save your money.

For all you know, the car service driver could be just as bad.

Instead, buckle-up in the back seat and don't watch the road.

Remember to buy your friend something nice, for the favor.

My husband (who is a crazy driver and does not cruise) always drives us down to Pier 88. I sit in the back with my head down trying not to throw up. But once we go over that little rise in the West Side Highway and we see the ship, I am fine. It was worth the 15-20 minutes of car sickness just to see and board Breakaway!

I hope you find the easiest, most comfortable way to the pier ;)

Have a great cruise!