B2B X Cruises for 2017

snowlight

On the Summit last winter, i was quite envious of those who got to stay the extra week for B2B cruises. I have a more flexible vacation schedule this year, and would love to do it, but I can't seem to find any B2B options in Jan/Feb.

Am I looking incorrectly? Does X have any warm destination itineraries that would work for B2B in Jan/Feb 2017?

Thanks!

If you have 14 days to cruise, look at the ships that do 7 day cruises. We are on Silhouette in December on a B2B cruise. As was pointed out, menus will repeat but you can vary them with specialty dining. We don't worry about entertainment repeating. Silhouette does an alternating eastern and western Caribbean cruise so the ports are different.

My preference would be for 14-day cruises as opposed to 2 7-day B2B. The 14-day is usually less expensive and you don't waste a turnaround day in port.

It depends on the port.

To us, a turnaround day in a port like Vancouver or Seward is not a "waste" at all, but a big plus. :D

Either a 14 day cruise or 2 seven day cruises are fine with us.

We have enjoyed both, especially doing two different fourteen day South America cruises back-to-back.

Our choice each time depends on a number of factors: itinerary and price and dates, and whether family or friends will be joining us.

Sometimes they can only join us for 7 days, so that makes the decision for us.

An advantage of booking the longer cruises.....(or disadvantage, depending upon your point of view ;))

is that there are likely to be fewer children on board.

Captain's Club members each get two sets of coupons when they take 2 seven day cruises,

but only get one set of coupons when they take a 14 day cruise. :confused:

Sometimes the Hotel Director will give B2B passengers extra laundry coupons on the turnaround day, but that is not done consistently.

Edited by fleckle

It depends on the port.

To us, a turnaround day in a port like Vancouver or Seward is not a "waste" at all, but a big plus. :D

Either a 14 day cruise or 2 seven day cruises are fine with us.

We have enjoyed both, especially doing two different fourteen day South America cruises back-to-back.

Our choice each time depends on a number of factors: itinerary and price and dates, and whether family or friends will be joining us.

Sometimes they can only join us for 7 days, so that makes the decision for us.

An advantage of booking the longer cruises.....(or disadvantage, depending upon your point of view ;))

is that there are likely to be fewer children on board.

Captain's Club members each get two sets of coupons when they take 2 seven day cruises,

but only get one set of coupons when they take a 14 day cruise. :confused:

Sometimes the Hotel Director will give B2B passengers extra laundry coupons on the turnaround day, but that is not done consistently.

If you are sailing with family or friends that can only sail one week that would make a difference, but that is not usually the case for most cruisers. I'll still suggest that the turnaround day is mostly a wasted day. Many of the ships facilities are closed most of the day and if you want to explore the port city you can always do that before or after the cruise. I would rather have a different port or a sea day. The 14 day trip is just more relaxing for us.

However, I will admit it is a nice feeling to see others get off the ship and know you are going for another cruise. :D

If you are sailing with family or friends that can only sail one week that would make a difference, but that is not usually the case for most cruisers. I'll still suggest that the turnaround day is mostly a wasted day. Many of the ships facilities are closed most of the day and if you want to explore the port city you can always do that before or after the cruise. I would rather have a different port or a sea day. The 14 day trip is just more relaxing for us.

However, I will admit it is a nice feeling to see others get off the ship and know you are going for another cruise. :D

I agree the 14 day is more relaxing on our last 7 day I felt like it was over before it started. We are doing our first B2B in March. South America (Buenos Aires, around the horn, Panama Canal,to Miami) on the Infinity. We have a tour scheduled for the turnaround day with a group from the ship. Really excited about this cruise.

On every Celebrity MDR there are 5 entrees offered daily plus 3 standard entrees. That's 8 options. Plus if you don't really like that you can go to the Oceanview Cafe which among other things has a grill open where they can cook your choice of cuts to order.

In addition to that as was mentioned there are the specialty restaurants.

As DW just said reading over my shoulder, all the nay-sayers should realize how lucky they are to even be able to think about a B2B. We did it in 2010 on RCI Serenade OTS with a turnaround day in San Juan. We stayed on the ship and it was funny how possessive we became about the ship like "why are all these people getting in our pool"!!! We had a blast. BTW, we did alternating southern Carribean cruises which stopped on different islands. We ended up seeing 10 islands in 14 days. I would bet RCI still has that (don't be cruise snobs Celebrity people).

I echo the sentiment that to me a 7 day cruise is just too short once you get used to a longer one. Plus there's the transportation factor. You get more bang for your buck for your airfare and hotel costs for a longer cruise than for a shorter one.

One last thought: Can you take me with you?

Enjoy your cruise.

Just be careful you don't fall foul of the Jones Law.

We booked B2B Alaska from Seattle ending in Vancouver. Then Vancouver to Hawaii. Our TA called a couple of days later to say we couldn't start a cruise in one state and end in another so had to cancel one of them!

I'd never heard of this Law until now :mad:

We booked B2B Alaska from Seattle ending in Vancouver. Then Vancouver to Hawaii. Our TA called a couple of days later to say we couldn't start a cruise in one state and end in another so had to cancel one of them!

Perhaps another solution would be to make it a B2B2B and go to Australia:D

It is actually the PVSA that is the problem here (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

There have been many threads about it here on Cruise Critic through the years, as different passengers become disappointed and upset when they encounter it for the first time. :eek:

If you really want to take an Alaska cruise before your Hawaii cruise, you can just do them on 2 different ships and you will be fine.

There are lots of Alaska round trip cruises from Vancouver that you could take before your Hawaii cruise, but it would require the inconvenience of needing to change ships in Vancouver.

(We have done that, and it really was no big deal, aside from our grumbling about needing to pack everything up, and then unpack again on the next ship.)

If the dates don't align, you miay need to spend an extra night or two at a hotel in Vancouver in between the cruises, but Vancouver is a wonderful city so any extra time there is always a bonus to us.

Three years ago we did a B2B2B 48 day cruise from LA around the horn to NYC. Was that legal just because it was segmented? :confused:

It was legal because the ship stopped at some "distant" foreign ports.

Actually, only one "distant" foreign port stop (anywhere between your original embarkation port and your final disembarkation port)

is all that is necessary to make it legal, regardless of the number of segments.

The South American ports qualify as "distant" foreign ports but the Canadian ports are classified as "nearby" foreign ports.

That is why the B2B that Vegcurry wanted to do was illegal.

When we leave Alaska we generally leave for 2+ weeks. A couple of years ago, we wanted to travel over Thanksgiving. At the time of booking, we weren't able to find a long cruise. So, we opted for 2 different 7-Day Cruises on 2 different lines. Had a fabulous trip - one was Eastern Caribbean & one was Western. We were lucky to add on a few days in Florida b/4 & after the cruise. If we're lucky someday we'll be able to do B2B on 14-Day or longer cruises - hopefully w/ different ending points :)