How to SUCCESSFULLY Make a 7:50A Flight on Disembark Day - Allure/Port Everglades

Nado44

Night Before: Pack Standard Sized Carry-On Bags

5:30A - Mobile Check-In via phone

6:00A - Line up for Self-Disembark

6:30A - Disembark

6:40A - Global Entry/Passport Control

6:45A - Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL Airport

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05A - Proceed to Gate

7:20A - Boarding

7:40A - Doors close

7:50A - Take off

I can only wish you the best of luck on your very tight timeline.

Really had nothing to do with a short transfer from cruise ship to a flight, but after my last cruise (different port, different airport, and the day after my cruise returned) I arrived at the airport well over an hour before my flight (I'm spoiled flying out of Burbank Airport where you can still usually arrive 20 minutes before your flight and have no problems at all), and got onto the plane after the ramp doors closed and they had called my name on the PA a couple of times. What happened? Well, besides the long TSA lines, I also had several busloads of High School band members arrive about one minute before me. All that to say that even with all of your perfect planning you just never know when something like that will happen. I think I'll leave about 10 minutes earlier next time lol

Edited by Geeocacher

On our Serenade cruise this past March, we were the ONLY ship docking at Port Everglades the morning we returned...it was a Monday. We were doing self-debarkation because we had a 12:10 flight home from MIA.

We arrived at the pier by 5:30 am...but the first passengers didn't start walking off the ship until almost 7:30am. Why? Two medical debarkations appeared to need to occur first; there were two ambulances alongside us while we waiting in line to disembark (we were in line outside by 6:45am).

No one on our ship would have made that flight.

Do you have a backup plan?

Have a plan B.

Plan B is to simply catch the next departing flight. This would mean missing an important, recently-scheduled dinner event back home, something we'd really prefer to not do. Should this happen, it'll be a case of - "it is what it is."

Thanks for the replies. We'll definitely say a prayer and hope for the best. :)

We would skip breakfast and be in the self-disembarkation queue by 05:00.

Me too. Something I learned on my last X cruise: room service will take orders up to 11 p.m. night before disembarkation. Order cold breakfast for 11 p.m. and have b'fast in your cabin before you leave for airport. Unfortunately, this means you won't get any coffee until you get to the airport but Starbucks is right inside the entrance! :D

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

DON'T see it happening... Why would you stress yourself out the entire cruise, worrying about this. I would not do this in a million years.. I wish you the best of luck...

hope you have global entry....we got it especially for this reason. Our serenade cruise in February was delayed disembarking and we had a 1040 am flight....changed while at sea by good old american airlines. was originally 1155am. long lines at disembark with walk offs...an hour and a half to go thru customs....crazy...one agent and one for global entry....no one using global entry lane...hubby said thats it...so we finally got our cards a few weeks ago...flying has been great as we get tsa....but phillie is a crap shoot for having a line open for that in each terminal... Good luck.

hope you have global entry....we got it especially for this reason. Our serenade cruise in February was delayed disembarking and we had a 1040 am flight....changed while at sea by good old american airlines. was originally 1155am. long lines at disembark with walk offs...an hour and a half to go thru customs....crazy...one agent and one for global entry....no one using global entry lane...hubby said thats it...so we finally got our cards a few weeks ago...flying has been great as we get tsa....but phillie is a crap shoot for having a line open for that in each terminal... Good luck.

I've got the Global Emtry card. Hoping it helps get us through passport control quickly.

Edited by Nado44
  • Like 1

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one, but everything would have to line up perfectly for those times to work for you. I really hope it does, but wow... I have gotten off ships early before and only once do I think I could have made a flight like this.

Last winter on Allure I was one of the first off, and there were only 2 agents clearing the ship at first (Which increased to 3) and global entry wasn't even open yet for the morning. Again, that was last winter but I hope for you customs goes faster than it did for me!

As others said I would speak with guest services and explain the situation to hopefully help you out on debarkation morning as that is all that you will be able to do... Also since it sounds like your bags are carryons, I'd plan on just skipping the airport check in lines and heading straight for security.

GOOD LUCK! AND DON'T LET THE END OF THE CRUISE RUIN YOUR WHOLE CRUISE WORRYING ABOUT IT!

Edited by Firefighterhoop

Understanding the point of your post, what is the financial/logistical consequences if something happens and you missed the flight? I use to fly heavily pre 9/11 and missing a flight was no big deal in many cases. My only experience at this airport after a cruise was taking a 2pm flight and getting to the airport in time to make a noon flight. They wanted $75 ea to switch us.

Do I understand you are putting this much stress on yourself for a dinner event?

I do wish you luck. Please tell us if you make it because you are not the first person to try something like this.

I do hope the stars a line, everything runs smooth and you make it.

What I don't understand is why you want to push your luck and worry your whole trip about making a flight home.

I know for our next cruise we cant book our air yet but it looks like we have the choice of a 7AM OR 7 PM flight. Stinks but I don't want to ruin our last memories of vacation by rushing and stressing. So we will take the 7pm flight.

My plan B and C would be to get a refundable tickets from another airline if money is not an issue and then cancel that flight if i made it to the early flight or cut my cruise short and leave from a previous port paying the Jones act fee.

A helicopter was suggested but that would probably take more time as they connot land close enough to the terminal and you would have set up transportation from the fbo and would also have to get a special customs clearence to disembark the ship which would be a wild card and not reliable enough for your timing.

I hope it all works out for you.

What's the odds of us getting off the harmony and catching a flight at 9:15am?

If Harmony is arriving at Port Everglades from a closed-loop cruise, and your flight is out of FLL, and you are close to the front of the self-assist line, I'd say your odds are not bad.

Do you always cruise with just one carry-on each? I am working on reducing what I pack but I can't get down to just a carry-on for a cruise. Will doing so effect your whole cruise? You obviously will be adding 2 days of stress to your cruise for this dinner event but will you also be changing the whole cruise by what you are able to pack?

It is definitely doable. For the past two Allure/Oasis cruises we have been sitting at the gate at FLL by 6:50am. That's without being first in line for self-assist. We now have TSE Pre check, so maybe we can be even earlier in October. This applies only to the Oasis class ships doing a closed loop from Port Everglades. If flying Southwest, they have told us their policy is that if you miss the flight, as long as you are there within 2 hours after the flight was scheduled, they will put you on a later flight (I'm assuming stand-by). I haven't had to try out this policy (yet) ;).

That said, my most impressive early flight achievement was being at the gate at Hobby at 8:40am for a 10:40am flight after our last Galveston/Liberty cruise. That one took some luck.

It is definitely doable. For the past two Allure/Oasis cruises we have been sitting at the gate at FLL by 6:50am. That's without being first in line for self-assist. We now have TSE Pre check, so maybe we can be even earlier in October. This applies only to the Oasis class ships doing a closed loop from Port Everglades. If flying Southwest, they have told us their policy is that if you miss the flight, as long as you are there within 2 hours after the flight was scheduled, they will put you on a later flight (I'm assuming stand-by). I haven't had to try out this policy (yet) ;).

That said, my most impressive early flight achievement was being at the gate at Hobby at 8:40am for a 10:40am flight after our last Galveston/Liberty cruise. That one took some luck.

That Southwest Airlines policy is correct. I can tell you first hand! They do put you on standby for next flight for free!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This seems very doable. Stressful and zero room for error or delays, but doable.

We didn't even leave our cabin until 6:45 for self, walked all the way out with 2 kids and plenty of luggage. All the way through the parking lot, loading up kids, and drove home (20 - 25 minutes from port). We were home before 7:20. If you are one of the first off, taxi straight to airport, straight to security (because you have boarding pass on phone), etc.... I see this as totally doable.

Do you always cruise with just one carry-on each? I am working on reducing what I pack but I can't get down to just a carry-on for a cruise. Will doing so effect your whole cruise? You obviously will be adding 2 days of stress to your cruise for this dinner event but will you also be changing the whole cruise by what you are able to pack?

We normally would take 2 large suitcases for a 7-day cruise. However, given it's a warm-weather cruise and the aforementioned circumstances, we'll make do with just two carry-ons.

Instead of stressing ourselves out, we're going to look at it as an adventure. And hope for the best and that the stars align on disembarkation morning!

Edited by Nado44

My plan B and C would be to get a refundable tickets from another airline if money is not an issue and then cancel that flight if i made it to the early flight or cut my cruise short and leave from a previous port paying the Jones act fee.

A helicopter was suggested but that would probably take more time as they connot land close enough to the terminal and you would have set up transportation from the fbo and would also have to get a special customs clearence to disembark the ship which would be a wild card and not reliable enough for your timing.

I hope it all works out for you.

That's a potentially good idea. Plan B for us is to simply pay the change fee and miss the dinner event.