Serenade cruise cancelled

It currently shows as "sold out", which usually means it has become a charter cruise.

I would say you are correct.... We are on a Charter Cruise that we signed up for in June, but before that, we were looking at the same ship for an RCCL cruise... then when the charter was announced, the dates on RCCL didn't show anymore and were listed as sold out. I know our cruise was a full ship charter.

This is part of the email that my T/A got:

Please be advised that the following Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas sailing has been cancelled. As a result of the changes, all guests who are currently booked on the sailing will need to be reaccommodated. This memo addresses compensation for those booked on the impacted sailing.

Guests currently booked with names and money in house on Serenade of the Seas April 20, 2018:

Re-book on the select sailings below, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available cruise fare or any other Royal Caribbean sailing at prevailing rate. Price protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare items are subject to prevailing rates regardless of the sailing chosen.

Select Sailings

• Serenade of the Seas March 30, 2018

• Serenade of the Seas April 9, 2018

Receive $200 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $400 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per person, for International Flights. A faxed copy of air fees assessed must be provided for reimbursement. Guests who cancel their sailing or air are not eligible for air change fee reimbursement.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation, including air change fee reimbursement.

I'm surprised that they offered the airline change fees with the cruise so far out. Usually they only offer that for cruises that are cancelled closer to the sail date although with it being that far out I don't think anyone could have booked air anyway.

Did anyone have April 20 2018 cancelled? I was told by my TA Royal cancelled this cruise.

I got the e-mail also. I took advantage and booked 8 day Freedom and got $400.00 OBC. They first told me redeployment then they said it was chartered. Enjoy whatever you pick.

I'm surprised that they offered the airline change fees with the cruise so far out. Usually they only offer that for cruises that are cancelled closer to the sail date although with it being that far out I don't think anyone could have booked air anyway.

Nice to know that RCCL is considerate in compensation, though the cancelled sailing is still far out

Maybe they are offering the airline change fees because they know they don't have to pay at as you can't book that far out. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

To anyone that booked the March 9th Serenade sailing as a replacement - as of yesterday this sailing is now also "officially" a charter, as is the February 16, 2018 sailing.

Edited by MaritimeR&R

Have you heard anything officially about the March 9 cruise? My travel agent hadn't heard a thing and it is still showing up under my cruises

Nobody on the 9th March cruise has heard a thing from RCI. The cruise is still showing on loads of people's booked cruises and we're not happy! :mad:

The thread for Serenade on 9th March is located at -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2420640

Come and join us . . . . .

Loads of us booked 9th March as pt 2 of a B2B and are eager to hear from RCI

Stephanie

• 3 weeks later...

It's sadly official - the cruise on 9th March 2018 has been 'redeployed'! :mad:

Some passengers have received an email, but others (including us) haven't, unless it has been sent to TA's!

RCI have offered sailings on 5th or 26th January as alternatives - no use at all if you'd booked the cruise as part of a back to back, as we and others had - or OBC if you rebook an RCI sailing.

It's sadly official - the cruise on 9th March 2018 has been 'redeployed'! :mad:

Some passengers have received an email, but others (including us) haven't, unless it has been sent to TA's!

RCI have offered sailings on 5th or 26th January as alternatives - no use at all if you'd booked the cruise as part of a back to back, as we and others had - or OBC if you rebook an RCI sailing.

For those of us booked on the February 16, 2018 10 night, we received our email yesterday with the same alternative dates. As I was already booked for 4 consecutive cruises that start on January 26th, the offerings are of no use to me either as I am booked on the February 26th cruise and would have to pay additional airfare home and back from NY to take that cruise as well as pay for another hotel stay. I called them and made my objections known about the offerings but due to the incident at the FLL airport all the higher ups were in emergency meetings, so the regular redeployment person said he would check with the supervisors about an alternative in my case and get back to me on Monday.

For those of us booked on the February 16, 2018 10 night, we received our email yesterday with the same alternative dates. As I was already booked for 4 consecutive cruises that start on January 26th, the offerings are of no use to me either as I am booked on the February 26th cruise and would have to pay additional airfare home and back from NY to take that cruise as well as pay for another hotel stay. I called them and made my objections known about the offerings but due to the incident at the FLL airport all the higher ups were in emergency meetings, so the regular redeployment person said he would check with the supervisors about an alternative in my case and get back to me on Monday.

That is a bummer... We were on the Feb 16th cruise. We looked up available cabins on the Jan 26th cruise and found one on the back of the ship on Deck 7. Not quite as good as the one we had for Feb 16th, but we can live with it and the $200 OBC.

If RCL does not call you early on Monday, you call them. If the person who answers can not come up with a satisfactory work-around, ask to talk to a supervisor and continue escalating until you are satisfied.

BTW, I do like your concept to taking four 10-11 night cruises B2B. The most B2B we have taken is two for a total of 22 nights. Maybe in a future year will go like you do....

Any update on the status of RCL canceling the middle cruise of a four cruise B2B? Please update us about how RCL handled this.

Any update on the status of RCL canceling the middle cruise of a four cruise B2B? Please update us about how RCL handled this.

First off, the redeployment person who I spoke to when I called on Friday, Dec. 6th and was supposed to call me back on Monday, Dec 9th never did. On Wednesday, I received another phone from a completely different redeployment person, who stated that there were no notations on my account from whatever agent I had originally spoke to. She stated that the agent in all likelihood had probably left a note on his desk to himself to contact me and that the note was likely misplaced.

After explaining everything to her regarding the disruption of a continuous 42 night booking and the fact that one of the replacement offerings were for a sailing I was already booked on. She said needed to check with a supervisor to see how they were going to handle this case.

I asked if I could remain on the ship during the charter (as I have known this to be the case of other passengers, for example, Mario Salcedo) and was told she would check that out.

I also mentioned that all bookings that would fit into that ten day period out of Florida were now also either removed from inventory or would involve my flying to Tampa and back along with a hotel for one night.

She is supposed to get back to me sometime next week.

I hope that they can come up with something to satisfy you. We are looking to take a multiple B2B cruise in 2019. Since one never knows when RCL will charter the ship and cancel all the existing reservations, how they handle your case will definitely have a impact whether we do it or not.

Please keep us informed as to how they treat you and come up with a satisfactory solution.

I hope that they can come up with something to satisfy you. We are looking to take a multiple B2B cruise in 2019. Since one never knows when RCL will charter the ship and cancel all the existing reservations, how they handle your case will definitely have a impact whether we do it or not.

Please keep us informed as to how they treat you and come up with a satisfactory solution.

Will do.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here is the resolution. I replaced the last two Serenade cruises on Feb. 16th and 26th with a B2B on Freedom 2/17 and 2/25.

It will mean another hotel for the night of the 16th when I get my Serenade sailings of Jan. 26th and Feb. 3. They offered me an E3 on both Freedom sailings, I upgraded to a JS.

Since I am getting OBC for each Freedom sailing, my out of pocket is around 350. total for the cabin upgrade and of course, my hotel bill for the night of the 16th when I get off Serenade.

Is it satisfactory? Hmm. Not entirely, but given that basically everything around the 16th is chartered or a ship I don't like sailing on, its ok. Given that I will be in a JS for the Freedom sailings, the loyalty points I will accrue are the same, (working on my turning-Pinnacle plan), so I will live with it.