No fresh squeezed OJ in N.A. Lido?

fann1sh

Demand is down though as more and more people stop drinking orange juice.

Count me in that group. Love the taste - can't deal with the carbs. Glass of OJ, even fresh, has almost as much sugar as a can of Coke. Yes, nutrients (potassium and Vitamin C for example) but not enough to justify the sugars. With the number of people returning to low-carb diet plans the avoidance level is high.

Ppppppssssttttt .........I know the REAL story on how to find "fresh squeezed orange juice" on a HAL ship !!!! :eek:

(whispering....) you have to have a Smart Phone with the POKEMON GO app installed ... find the right Pokemon and he'll reward you with a cold glass of OJ with lots, and lots, of little pieces of orange pulp .... be sure those little pieces of pulp aren't really baby Pokemons in disguise !!!! :D

Just thought ya'll would want to know "the rest of the story" :D

• 4 months later...

When another line stopped using the machine to make fresh O.J. it was supposed to be based on a legal problem where the machine was spreading bacteria. A quick search shows that some university in Spain claims that 43% of fresh squeezed orange juice had bacterial contamination?

O.J. and other juices are all pasteurized to kill off any bacteria that may have been introduced in the process.

I loved getting the fresh O.J. and never had a problem with any from those machines whether on a ship or at a roadside diner.

Who knows for sure?

bosco

I believe the machines are now "behind the scenes" where you don't see them.

That was on the case on the P'dam, Westerdam & Maasdam if memory serves.

I asked and they said it was easier for the staff by putting them behind the scenes and not taking up space in the main public working area.

And if you believe this, then I've got this bridge here I'd like to sell you...

And if you believe this, then I've got this bridge here I'd like to sell you...

Ummm, you do realize that post was from September, 2016, right?;):rolleyes::p

And based on experiences at the time.

And I know the difference between fresh squeezed and the other. Fresh squeezed which I do is a treat here. Otherewise we do the "not from concentrate" which is not bad but not the same. ;)

Edited by kazu

Just finished re-reading this thread.. Instead of squeezing oranges we've graduated to Cranberry Orange Juice Cocktail in the morning..

One of our Friends works for a local Citrus company & they make their own & very tasty Cranberry Orange drink.. It's 52% Fresh squeezed Florida Orange Juice mixed with Cranberry Juice Cocktail.. Agree that Orange Juice is very high in sugar & so is Cranberry Juice but we have a small glass of this every morning after our a.m. Coffee.. The rest of the day we normally drink Arizona Diet Green Tea with Ginsing...But when entertaining Friends, I'll mix 1/2 Green Tea with 1/2 Cranberry Orange drink & a shot of Capt. Morgan's spiced rum.. I enjoy this concoction (sp?) but will not have more than one of those or will end up asleep..LOL :D;)

I am not sure why a poster elected to treat rka's post so harshly, but I can confirm what rka said as I was also on the VoV last summer/fall (2016). They definitely had fresh squeezed OJ on the Lido at breakfast. In my experience you had to request it and voila - a pitcher was brought out from below the counter, stirred (due to massive separation) and poured. Now this was early in the serving time and I don't know how long the supply lasted. They also had non-separating OJ out all the time.

In terms of the doubts of it ever being fresh squeezed, I was on many ships in the past where the machine was being the serving counter and visible to all. On a long cruise in 2014 or 2015 - don't remember which, one steward, George, was responsible for preparing the fresh squeezed OJ. I am usually on the lido looking at the sunrise and scenery by 6:00 am at the latest. Every morning he was there squeezing oranges - I forgot how many per day he told me, but the number was very high.

Just an update on the OJ issue. Celebrity Cruise Lines also stopped with fresh squeezed OJ around the same time as this happened on HAL. It actually made us think there was a health related issue...or new PHS warning...which has turned out not to be the case. On our recent (last month) Celebrity Eclipse cruise we were pleasantly surprised to find that fresh squeezed OJ had again appeared in Blu (a special restaurant for Aqua Class) and we heard it was also being served in the small restaurant dedicated to the suites. We asked the Maitre'd in Blu about the situation and he told us there had been many complaints when they stopped with the fresh OJ...so the company responded. We also noticed that Fresh Squeezed OJ was available (this past August) in the MDR on the Zuiderdam....but still not available in the Lido.

So now, we are keeping our fingers crossed that HAL will also bring back Fresh Squeezed OJ in the Lido. We are booked on this year's VOV....and will try to report back here....if the fresh stuff can be requested in the Lido.

Hank