To the Lady Who Boarded the Princess Airport-Ship Bus Sick as a Dog--Shame on You!

Andi2008

We were on a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago and I got sick from the tour guides! I had booked two private, independent tours in Turkey. The first exposure was to a guide who was almost whispering because of laryngitis. A few days later, another guide brought her sick 18 y/o daughter along as an "assistant."

Stupidly, I didn't speak up and half way through the cruise became ill followed by at least 6 wks of a hacking cough.

This post is a good reminder to be proactive and whenever possible, speak up, avoid such situations/exit ASAP. Thank you OP for posting.

I know there are a few chronic, non contagious conditions that can cause coughing but such persons should be mindful of others and sit away from them.

I recently attended a conference with an elderly gentleman sitting directly behind me who coughed every 10 seconds the entire day. This was very rude- I'm sure he wasn't contagious but he should've seated himself at the back or near a side entrance and not in the middle of the audience!

As the great George Costanza once said, "we're living in a society!" Look it up on Youtube. As such, we have to have some level of respect for others.

The coughing noted in the original post may not have been anything contagious. Who knows - it could have also been VERY contagious. That being said, if this were me and I had a bad cough due to something that was not contagious and I was in a confined space I would immediately tell those in close proximity that although I might sound horrible, nothing I have is going to get you sick.

Now that's just me, but at a minimum I'd say that just to ease their minds. Contagious or not though, if the cough was bad enough to the point that the sound alone was ongoing and bothersome, I would not get on the bus to begin with. We live in a society and I have a level of respect for others.

Edited by Sascol

3.) The moment someone starts coughing like that near me I move away from them. If it was on a bus and unavoidable I would have demanded the bus stop so that I could get off and find alternate transport.

Interesting strategies to avoid coughing PAX .

So, have you ever been on a cruisetour and demanded that that tour bus stop so you could get off and find alternate transportation?

Just curious, would that work, for example, if in the middle of say, an Alaska cruisetour or other, where buses are used for sightseeing excursions? Or like when you were dropped off in the middle of nowhere? How did you handle that situation? To get back to your ship? Did you have the cruise line reimburse you for your the out of pocket costs of your alternate transportation?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

"Did you say anything to this person? Did you say anything to the Princess rep? Did you self report to the ship that you had been in contact with a sick person? YOU may have infected others,and ruined their cruise! You did the very same thing this person did,you knew they were sick, yet you went on about your business,possibly infecting others on the way! How is that different? Don't mean to sound harsh but........"

As the original poster of this thread yesterday, I knew my post would likely elicit strong opinions shared by people who disagreed, as well as others who were understanding of my situation. But to be accused by this responder of doing the exact same thing as the lady on the bus, I take offense! My husband and I were both completely healthy when we arrived in Anchorage, but we brought items with us to help keep germs at bay...we understand the health issues that can abound on cruise ships. So we brought a dispenser of anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down surfaces in our cabin, we used the Purell dispensers through out the ship religiously, especially going in and OUT of the food areas. However, none of these items were at my finger tips on the bus, as our bags had been put under the bus at the airport and there were no empty seats on the bus that we could move to. (Thank you to the poster who defended me against your attack--I truly appreciate it!)

For those commenters who pointed out that there can be many different types of coughs, not all contagious, I concur with you. In May this year, my husband and I traveled to Normandy to visit the DDay Beaches. We were on a small van with 16 other people (all seats taken) and there was a woman on board who coughed frequently, but I could tell her cough (which was dry and deep and loud) was more likely related to an emphysema-type condition, and not a phlemy, bronchitis type cough as was exhibited by the lady on the bus. When I began to cough and shiver in my cabin the night I became ill (I did not have those symptoms in any public areas that day), I did everything I could to limit potential exposure to others, which is exactly what the lady on the bus did not do.

I also appreciate the suggestions folks have made on methods they use to try and ford off bad bugs while traveling. I will add those to my list. And yes, I realize there is always the possibility that I picked up a bug before we left or caught it somewhere else. I should have reported her, but by the time we had retrieved our bags from the bus, I lost track of her as several buses were unloading at the same time and the line in the arrival terminal in Whittier was long.... shoulda/coulda/woulda....next time I will act differently.

Finally, to the poster who expressed skepticism that my OP yesterday was in fact genuine, I can tell you that I have been so sick, it hasn't been my top priority to turn on my computer. I think I have turned the corner today. Thanks to all who wished me well and understood my need to share my experience.

Andi

"Did you say anything to this person? Did you say anything to the Princess rep? Did you self report to the ship that you had been in contact with a sick person? YOU may have infected others,and ruined their cruise! You did the very same thing this person did,you knew they were sick, yet you went on about your business,possibly infecting others on the way! How is that different? Don't mean to sound harsh but........"

As the original poster of this thread yesterday, I knew my post would likely elicit strong opinions shared by people who disagreed, as well as others who were understanding of my situation. But to be accused by this responder of doing the exact same thing as the lady on the bus, I take offense! My husband and I were both completely healthy when we arrived in Anchorage, but we brought items with us to help keep germs at bay...we understand the health issues that can abound on cruise ships. So we brought a dispenser of anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down surfaces in our cabin, we used the Purell dispensers through out the ship religiously, especially going in and OUT of the food areas. However, none of these items were at my finger tips on the bus, as our bags had been put under the bus at the airport and there were no empty seats on the bus that we could move to. (Thank you to the poster who defended me against your attack--I truly appreciate it!)

For those commenters who pointed out that there can be many different types of coughs, not all contagious, I concur with you. In May this year, my husband and I traveled to Normandy to visit the DDay Beaches. We were on a small van with 16 other people (all seats taken) and there was a woman on board who coughed frequently, but I could tell her cough (which was dry and deep and loud) was more likely related to an emphysema-type condition, and not a phlemy, bronchitis type cough as was exhibited by the lady on the bus. When I began to cough and shiver in my cabin the night I became ill (I did not have those symptoms in any public areas that day), I did everything I could to limit potential exposure to others, which is exactly what the lady on the bus did not do.

I also appreciate the suggestions folks have made on methods they use to try and ford off bad bugs while traveling. I will add those to my list. And yes, I realize there is always the possibility that I picked up a bug before we left or caught it somewhere else. I should have reported her, but by the time we had retrieved our bags from the bus, I lost track of her as several buses were unloading at the same time and the line in the arrival terminal in Whittier was long.... shoulda/coulda/woulda....next time I will act differently.

Finally, to the poster who expressed skepticism that my OP yesterday was in fact genuine, I can tell you that I have been so sick, it hasn't been my top priority to turn on my computer. I think I have turned the corner today. Thanks to all who wished me well and understood my need to share my experience.

Andi

First of all, I did not attack you,I am sorry if you felt that way.

I am simply pointing out that you thought this person was infectious ,yet you still got on the cruise after being in close proximity of said infected person.

You cannot call some one else out when you are doing the same thing.

You should have went home to protect your fellow cruisers.

(Yes I know ,ridiculous)

BTW: I felt your original post was an attack on a person, not here to defend themselves!

What were those terms you used? (shame on you!) (Did not have the common decency).... should I go on?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

First of all, I did not attack you,I am sorry if you felt that way.

I am simply pointing out that you thought this person was infectious ,yet you still got on the cruise after being in close proximity of said infected person.

You cannot call some one else out when you are doing the same thing.

You should have went home to protect your fellow cruisers.

(Yes I know ,ridiculous)

BTW: I felt your original post was an attack on a person, not here to defend themselves!

Reader

She didn't do the "same thing." That is she boarded while not symptomatic of any illness. Even if the gal on the bus indeed had something infectious merely being next to her does not make you infected too. This is likely a viral URI, not Ebola!

I think the OP was venting and also notes the possibility she could have got the "bug" from another source other than that lady on the bus. Pretty reasonable to me.

Edited by jacketwatch

She didn't do the "same thing." That is she boarded while not symptomatic of any illness. Even if the gal on the bus indeed had something infectious merely being next to her does not make you infected too. This is likely a viral URI, not Ebola!

Understood hence my ("Ridiculous" comment)

Exactly ,so why is she blaming this other woman for getting her sick?

We do not know that the other woman was sick,could have had allergies.

Edited by Reader0108598

Understood hence my ("Ridiculous" comment)

Exactly ,so why is she blaming this other woman for getting her sick?

Read it again. See this part; "And yes, I realize there is always the possibility that I picked up a bug before we left or caught it somewhere else." She concedes the bug could have come from another source.

Edited by jacketwatch

Devil's advocate here--the sick person was probably on her trip of a lifetime, too, and she had paid for the cruise before she got sick. I'm sorry you got sick, but this kind of thing can happen in any situation, so avoiding cruising might not be a guarantee. My daughter teaches the first grade, and every fall she catches at least three colds.

I understand your point BUT if the original hacking cough person was going on a "trip of a lifetime" when she became sick....that is what travel insurance is for ......so you can reschedule.

And I wouldn't have had a problem with a sick person BUT a sick person coughing on the back of my neck with NO covering her mouth etc., she's spreading way more than germs, she's spreading bad karma

I understand your point BUT if the original hacking cough person was going on a "trip of a lifetime" when she became sick....that is what travel insurance is for ......so you can reschedule.

And I wouldn't have had a problem with a sick person BUT a sick person coughing on the back of my neck with NO covering her mouth etc., she's spreading way more than germs, she's spreading bad karma

Always take out travel insurance!!:)

You are right she did ,after she trashed the poor person!

I think saying someone not having common decency isn't off when a person wth a bad, hacking cough in an enclosed area doesn't take basic precautions like covering her mouth. Saying lacking in common sense might be better. I understand she was upset and why. I would be upset too under these circumstances. And now she is ready to concede maybe it wasn't her after all and she is moving on. Good enough for me.

And yes always get travel insurance!!

Cheers, Larry.

Edited by jacketwatch

I think saying someone not having common decency isn't off when a person wth a bad, hacking cough in an enclosed area doesn't take basic precautions like covering her mouth. Saying lacking in common sense might be better. I understand she was upset and why. I would be upset too under these circumstances. And now she is ready to concede maybe it wasn't her after all and she is moving on. Good enough for me.

And yes always get travel insurance!!

Cheers, Larry.

I am bowing out also ,no ill will meant toward anyone! Happy healthy sails to all!

Reader

I was thinking the same thing as the OP as I watched Hillary Clinton coughing on those courageous news people today. I am sure at least some of these people who were stuck in that confined space were infected and will be unable to continue their insightful election coverage.

I was thinking the same thing as the OP as I watched Hillary Clinton coughing on those courageous news people today. I am sure at least some of these people who were stuck in that confined space were infected and will be unable to continue their insightful election coverage.

Make America Sick Again, and Mexico Also... :confused:

Am I confusing my political memes?

And that is exactly the way I cough when dehydrated. Not sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always travel with a mask. Get pneumonia SHOTS.

The pneumonia shot will protect you from one type of pneumonia (I believe it is viral pneumonia). It does protect you from the pneumonia that can follow a cold that turns to bronchitis. That is the type of pneumonia I have to prevent by taking antibiotics as soon as I develop bronchitis. Of course, I do have a flu shot and I try to protect myself from catching a cold.:)

I think there's a point made by the OP that has gotten lost....

That is - The sick person did nothing to protect those around them like cover mouth, wear a mask themselves, etc... THAT is what would make me very VERY angry if I found myself in that same situation.

I want to add...because we all know that there are those out there who not only will lie on their health questionnaire...but will also refuse to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze or wear a mask when they are infectious, there are things the rest of us can do to decrease our chances of catching something. (It may not GUARANTEE health...but may help our chances...)

1. Begin taking high doses of Vitamin C prior to the cruise (14 days) I like a powdered form I buy at health food store and for the life of me I can't remember the name.....:o:o but it's usually right by the register and comes in individual packets. sorry....

2. Bring our OWN mask and when in the presence of someone who should be wearing one and isn't, wear our own....

3. Make sure we're fortifying our immune system with healthy diet choices rather than sabotaging it (with those unhealthy diet choices)....yeah, I know that's a long shot - when we're on a cruise we want to eat like there's no tomorrow....but smart people know that those choices have consequences....just sayin'

4. Last but not least...unless the illness passed on by this ill passenger was BACTERIAL, the anti-bacterial stuff will not to anything to deter it...and to be perfectly honest, most germs of this nature are viral - so they aren't phased by an anti-bacterial....which is what is in the containers all over the ship. They require passengers to use it, probably more to put people at ease rather than for their health.... sorry...but true

The ill passenger did wrong...People do that ugh ugh ugh!! Our only real choice when in the presence of 'wrong-doers' is to make sure the consequences are as light as possible ON US...

just my thoughts... :)

Edited by rgmacm

The pneumonia shot will protect you from one type of pneumonia (I believe it is viral pneumonia). It does protect you from the pneumonia that can follow a cold that turns to bronchitis. That is the type of pneumonia I have to prevent by taking antibiotics as soon as I develop bronchitis. Of course, I do have a flu shot and I try to protect myself from catching a cold.:)

A pneumovax shot is for use against certain strains of bacteria.

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/pneumococcal-vaccine-schedule#1

A seasonal flu shot is for resistance to viruses.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

We get flu shots yearly. No charge here as our insurance pays for it. There has been some talk about something in this med that leads to Guillan-Barre syndrome. There is no proof but there was a guy I know at the gym, healthy as a horse who got G-B after a flu shot and never fully recovered.

Edited by jacketwatch