Old UDP and Tipping

ihopfar

(Sorry for another tipping thread)

We have the old UDP as a booking promotion, from before the time where they added the 18%.

Does our package include the gratuity? I know we won't be charged a gratuity, but will NCL provide a gratuity to the wonderful servers on our behalf?

Wondering if when determining our tips if we should start with the 18% we were not charged and go up from there.

Thanks!

Brad

We have the old UDP and all of our receipts have indicated that the gratuity is included. We usually leave a few extra $$ on the bill. Service has generally been great. Attentive enough without being too much, so we felt the extra tip was appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does our package include the gratuity? I know we won't be charged a gratuity, but will NCL provide a gratuity to the wonderful servers on our behalf?

The "gratuity" is built into the promotion.

Wondering if when determining our tips if we should start with the 18% we were not charged and go up from there.

No additional gratuity is required. It, however, is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad

Have a great cruise and eat at at least two specialty restaurants a night.

I know we won't be charged a gratuity, but will NCL provide a gratuity to the wonderful servers on our behalf?
It kind of depends on when you booked, exactly. Because the specialty dining service charge was only introduced in March 2015. If you booked before that, there was no mention of gratuities in the terms of the promo, because specialty dining staff were still covered by the general hotel charge (aka DSC) at that time.

If you booked in April 2015, the terms say explicitly "Ultimate dining option includes 18% gratuity on the package". Whether that means that NCL actually pays the 18% to the specialty restaurant staff on your behalf, no one on this forum knows. And there is nothing you can do to find out the truth, short of infiltrating NCL.

In May 2015, they did not offer the UDP perk. In June and July 2015, the terms said "Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Dining Package prior to cruise." And starting in August 2015, the UDP disappeared and the SDP took over.

So… the restaurant staff looking at your keycard that says "UDP" will not know if you paid for it yourself or got it as a perk, and they will not know if you paid the 18% on it or not. They'll be hoping for more tips, but they won't expect them. So you you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing, without feeling any pressure from the staff or from anyone on this forum. Feel free to make up your own mind.

Since when has anyone been allowed to eat at 2 specialty restaurants a night.
The old Ultimate Dining Package was counted in days, not meals, so someone could eat two meals in specialty dining restaurants under that package and it only counted as one day. Some still have reservations with the old UDP. The SDP is counted in meals, so if someone ate two meals in one day, it would count as two of their days.

The old Ultimate Dining Package was counted in days, not meals, so someone could eat two meals in specialty dining restaurants under that package and it only counted as one day. Some still have reservations with the old UDP. The SDP is counted in meals, so if someone ate two meals in one day, it would count as two of their days.

Ok so I get what your saying. We have the UDP for hawaii cruise as we booked it ages ago.

How does this affect two apps two desserts, can it still be had under the old terms?

Ok so I get what your saying. We have the UDP for hawaii cruise as we booked it ages ago.

How does this affect two apps two desserts, can it still be had under the old terms?

I didn't know that you can only have two appetizers and two desserts (I've only ever ordered one appetizer and no desserts), but the way I understand the old UDP, you can other what you want and the only thing that would be of any charge would be if you ordered a second entree.

I didn't know that you can only have two appetizers and two desserts (I've only ever ordered one appetizer and no desserts), but the way I understand the old UDP, you can other what you want and the only thing that would be of any charge would be if you ordered a second entree.

I'm pretty sure that it's been changed to one each. Maybe someone else can chime in.

My partner has been known to have 4 escargot, soup, main and one dessert.

In Cagney's I order 4 shrimp cocktail ( = only 12 shrimp) because I don't have luck with their steak's, then salmon and two desserts

Edited by FranknBeans

I'm pretty sure that it's been changed to one each. Maybe someone else can chime in.

My partner has been known to have 4 escargot, soup, main and one dessert.

In Cagney's I order 4 shrimp cocktail ( = only 12 shrimp) because I don't have luck with their steak's, then salmon and two desserts

I remember reading that the Platinum dinner is only 1 each, but haven't read that about the dining packages.

Wow, that is a lot of shrimp and escargot! I can see, if a lot of passengers order that many appetizers, that might NCL eventually limit the number of each item with the dining package.

(Sorry for another tipping thread)

We have the old UDP as a booking promotion, from before the time where they added the 18%.

Thanks!

Brad

Good news!

You are saving a fee NCL charges newer bookings which is called a "gratuity" but really isn't.

The waitstaff does NOT get that 18% service charge that nearly everyone else pays. NCL keeps it.

The waitstaff gets a fixed rate of pay. The recent addition of mandatory "gratuities" to the UDP/SDP and UBP are a way for NCL to make additional money for themselves.

So don't feel obligated to tip anything extra. Your servers are getting paid THE EXACT SAME THING as they would if you had paid the 18%.

With that said, if you have a server who gives you really exceptional service, you might want to give them a cash tip. However, I would suggest NOT charging the cash tip to your stateroom, as that gets divided amongst ALL the servers, rather than just the good one you encountered.

The waitstaff does NOT get that 18% service charge that nearly everyone else pays. NCL keeps it.

The waitstaff gets a fixed rate of pay. The recent addition of mandatory "gratuities" to the UDP/SDP and UBP are a way for NCL to make additional money for themselves.

Just because it is your opinion, doesn't make it fact. There have been parents of crew members, friends of crew members, past employees of cruise lines, industry insiders, etc., who have stated that what you are saying is totally false.

Just because it is your opinion, doesn't make it fact. There have been parents of crew members, friends of crew members, past employees of cruise lines, industry insiders, etc., who have stated that what you are saying is totally false.

NLH I have to disagree. I posted this last Jan.

We arrived home from 14 day Breakaway cruise yesterday and had attended the Q&A with the officers, the captain, hotel director and engineer attended.

Someone asked in the audience how the DSC was divided up and the reply from hotel director was correct.

Then someone asked about how the new 18% gratuity was divided up and the hotel director would not divulge the info and after a couple of attempts at pushing for the info his reply was that the info doesn't have to be divulged and that NCL is a publicly traded company and has to answer to its shareholders.

I personally find this a quite shady reply especially after he answered about the DSC. This to me explains why when you ask staff which we did a few times on the cruise that they say know nothing about it, so I don't feel that it's a situation of the staff giving that reply in order to get more tips.

I would like others to pursue this question with officers as well when sailing.

I had also asked numerous staff throughout the ship and no one knew anything about it.

So until I hear from management I will stick to this.

Frank, don't mind NLH Arizona.

He is obsessed with convincing everyone that the DSC and 18% surcharges are simply tips divided among the crew, and that NCL doesn't take any for themselves.

If you present evidence to him that these are NOT tips, and that these are simply surcharges kept by NCL, he gets very agitated and states that it's only your "opinion".

Anyway, I think the cat is finally out of the bag here at CC regarding the true destination of these surcharges. Not sure why that bothers NLH Arizona so much.

NLH I have to disagree. I posted this last Jan.

We arrived home from 14 day Breakaway cruise yesterday and had attended the Q&A with the officers, the captain, hotel director and engineer attended.

Someone asked in the audience how the DSC was divided up and the reply from hotel director was correct.

Then someone asked about how the new 18% gratuity was divided up and the hotel director would not divulge the info and after a couple of attempts at pushing for the info his reply was that the info doesn't have to be divulged and that NCL is a publicly traded company and has to answer to its shareholders.

I personally find this a quite shady reply especially after he answered about the DSC. This to me explains why when you ask staff which we did a few times on the cruise that they say know nothing about it, so I don't feel that it's a situation of the staff giving that reply in order to get more tips.

I would like others to pursue this question with officers as well when sailing.

I had also asked numerous staff throughout the ship and no one knew anything about it.

So until I hear from management I will stick to this.

And I totally disagree with you.

Why must they divulge anything to the passengers. I'll never understand why some feel that they are entitled to business practices/policies by some companies that are between them and their employees. I wonder if the passengers who ask all the personal questions of crew members regarding their compensation are also, I hope, sharing all their financial information as well. I'm sure the crew is just as interested in how passengers make their salaries and how much it is.

A number of posters have said (either parents, friends of crew members or past employees of cruise lines) that the 18% gratuities are put into a pool and divided up among the employees in that category. My feelings as to why the officer didn't address how the 18% gratuities were distributed, because knowing how many are, they would be upset that their personal bar server wouldn't be getting their 18% off their check and that the pool is divided among all.

Why would crew members discuss the way they are compensated with anyone. Not to mention "I no nothing", means a bigger cash tip from those who would naively believe them. Think about it, who has more to benefit from for not telling the truth....those that get extra tips.

You can have your opinion as to what you feel is happening and others will have their opinions.

Frank, don't mind NLH Arizona.

He is obsessed with convincing everyone that the DSC and 18% surcharges are simply tips divided among the crew, and that NCL doesn't take any for themselves.

If you present evidence to him that these are NOT tips, and that these are simply surcharges kept by NCL, he gets very agitated and states that it's only your "opinion".

Anyway, I think the cat is finally out of the bag here at CC regarding the true destination of these surcharges. Not sure why that bothers NLH Arizona so much.

Sir, I'm not obsessed with anything, just making sure that folks understand that what you post is your opinion of what you think is happening and that you have posted no facts. But I will say that you seem so obsessed in making folks think that your opinions are facts, which they are not, as they have been dispelled by many who actually know what is happening.

Since Frank has said: Someone asked in the audience how the DSC was divided up and the reply from hotel director was correct. Why not ask him what the officer said.

What evidence has anyone posted. All folks have posted is their opinions.

Why must they divulge anything to the passengers. I'll never understand why some feel that they are entitled to business practices/policies by some companies that are between them and their employees. I wonder if the passengers who ask all the personal questions of crew members regarding their compensation are also, I hope, sharing all their financial information as well. I'm sure the crew is just as interested in how passengers make their salaries and how much it is.

A number of posters have said (either parents, friends of crew members or past employees of cruise lines) that the 18% gratuities are put into a pool and divided up among the employees in that category. My feelings as to why the officer didn't address how the 18% gratuities were distributed, because knowing how many are, they would be upset that their personal bar server wouldn't be getting their 18% off their check and that the pool is divided among all.

Why would crew members discuss the way they are compensated with anyone. Not to mention "I no nothing", means a bigger cash tip from those who would naively believe them. Think about it, who has more to benefit from for not telling the truth....those that get extra tips.

You can have your opinion as to what you feel is happening and others will have their opinions.

LOL

People feel "entitled" to know where their "gratuities" are going. When you leave a tip -- even a mandatory one -- you like to know that it's going to the people you think you are tipping.

If it really was simply distributed to all of the waitstaff in full, why wouldn't NCL simply state that? It would make everyone happy to hear that.

Instead, Frank was given a rude answer that it's none of his business where the 18% goes.

You don't find that the least bit suspicious?

What about all of the crew members who PERSONALLY TOLD ME that they do not get the 18% tips, and that they are simply given a FLAT "gratuity" fund on each check? Are they all lying to me?

Why would Del Rio have slapped an obnoxious 18% mandatory charge on the UBP and specialty restaurants, thus pissing off customers (especially ones believing they were getting these benefits "free"), simply to guarantee much higher tips for the servers? Do you not realize that the waitstaff jobs are highly coveted by people in countries like the Philippines? Do you really believe Del Rio increased the price by 18% and simply handed all of the money to the servers?

Why was the DSC raised TWICE in a period of four months in 2015, FAR outpacing inflation, once again pissing off customers? All for the benefit of the crew, right?

Come on, buddy. Let's be real here for a moment. Do you have any idea how corporate America works?

Edited by pokerpro5

LOL

People feel "entitled" to know where their "gratuities" are going. When you leave a tip -- even a mandatory one -- you like to know that it's going to the people you think you are tipping.

If it really was simply distributed to all of the waitstaff in full, why wouldn't NCL simply state that? It would make everyone happy to hear that.

Instead, Frank was given a rude answer that it's none of his business where the 18% goes.

You don't find that the least bit suspicious?

What about all of the crew members who PERSONALLY TOLD ME that they do not get the 18% tips, and that they are simply given a FLAT "gratuity" fund on each check? Are they all lying to me?

Why would Del Rio have slapped an obnoxious 18% mandatory charge on the UBP and specialty restaurants, thus pissing off customers (especially ones believing they were getting these benefits "free"), simply to guarantee much higher tips for the servers? Do you not realize that the waitstaff jobs are highly coveted by people in countries like the Philippines? Do you really believe Del Rio increased the price by 18% and simply handed all of the money to the servers?

Why was the DSC raised TWICE in a period of four months in 2015, FAR outpacing inflation, once again pissing off customers? All for the benefit of the crew, right?

Come on, buddy. Let's be real here for a moment. Do you have any idea how corporate America works?

Why would anyone think a "none of your business" answer to something that is "none of your business" suspicious.

I don't know if the crew members you interrogate about their compensation are lying to you. I would bet folks they tell that to, give them extra cash tips...think about it. Or maybe they just say that to get you to stop asking them personal questions or maybe they are told not to discuss their personal compensation with passengers. Have you gone to one of their Department Officer and told him/her what they have told you and asked if it is true or not?

I think the 18% gratuity was added to specialty dining, because folks didn't tip (same reason the automatic gratuities/DSC policies were set in place) and they added the 18% gratuity and took those servers out of the DSC.

I don't know why they raised it, I also don't know why Celebrity raised theirs other than them saying they were keeping up with the competition.

I'm not your buddy, madam. I was in corporate American for over 35 years. I was responsible for $100,000,000 in business a year for my company for the last 16 years I was with them and was involved in all the management decision about pricing, policies, etc. for my company, so yes I know a thing or two, but thanks for asking. And being that I'm well versed in business practices, I understand that someone's opinion doesn't make it fact. Think what you want, you clearly have an agenda here to make folks believe you know the facts, when they have been dispelled by many, but keep up the good work, miss.

Let's face it, you are not going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine, so we will have to just agree to disagree about this subject.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Why would anyone think a "none of your business" answer to something that is "none of your business" suspicious.

I don't know if the crew members you interrogate about their compensation are lying to you. I would bet folks they tell that to, give them extra cash tips...think about it. Or maybe they just say that to get you to stop asking them personal questions or maybe they are told not to discuss their personal compensation with passengers. Have you gone to one of their Department Officer and told him/her what they have told you and asked if it is true or not?

I think the 18% gratuity was added to specialty dining, because folks didn't tip (same reason the automatic gratuities/DSC policies were set in place) and they added the 18% gratuity and took those servers out of the DSC.

I don't know why they raised it, I also don't know why Celebrity raised theirs other than them saying they were keeping up with the competition.

I'm not your buddy, madam. I was in corporate American for over 35 years. I was responsible for $100,000,000 in business a year for my company for the last 16 years I was with them and was involved in all the management decision about pricing, policies, etc. for my company, so yes I know a thing or two, but thanks for asking. And being that I'm well versed in business practices, I understand that someone's opinion doesn't make it fact. Think what you want, you clearly have an agenda here to make folks believe you know the facts, when they have been dispelled by many, but keep up the good work, miss.

Let's face it, you are not going to change your opinion and I'm not going to change mine, so we will have to just agree to disagree about this subject.

Because "none of your business" is a horrible answer for PR purposes, and a company only gives it when there's something they don't want the public to know.

If all of the 18% "gratuities" went to the crew, NCL would be shouting it from the mountaintops, as it's great PR. It makes them look like they are taking care of their hardworking crew, and it makes passengers feel better about having to pay it.

Instead, NCL is extremely cagey about where both the DSC and 18% service charges go, and you get rude non-answers when you attempt to ask management about it.

If they were simply distributing it all to the crew, they would be falling all over themselves to tell you that.

That's how corporate America works. You hit the public over the head with the good news, and obfuscate the bad news. I'm surprised you don't know that, given your claimed long history in corporate America.

You seem to be bending over backwards to avoid believing the obvious.

NCL has raised fees and surcharges on so many things over the past 20 months, calling many of them "gratuities". It makes no sense why there would be such a steep increase if it were only to benefit the crew, given that there is a line three miles long in the third world to replace the existing crew.

No company would be steeply raising its fees (and potentially alienating customers, or decreasing what they spend) simply to additionally compensate an employee base which is already satisfied with their existing pay. It makes even less sense to do this at a rate which far, far outpaces inflation.

So this would lead you to one of two conclusions:

1) NCL is the most generous publicly traded company in the world, overcompensating their employees and giving them repeated steep raises in a 20-month period.

-or-

2) NCL is keeping all or most of the money collected via these "service charges", and passing it off to the public as "gratuities", thus making it an easier pill for the customer to swallow.

Go ahead and pick #1 if you like, but I think most of us understand the reality.

Edited by pokerpro5

In short because HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

Yet, you saw the email from the HD saying that the specialty restaurant staff are paid through the DSC. You said you were angry because you'd asked elsewhere and were told a different answer.

You have also seen countless people who have reported from staff that when the 18% was added to UBP and to the specialty dining that they're flat pay rate went up, but that they don't get the tips. They are happy with their flat pay rate (most of them) but do not get anything from the %.