Old UDP and Tipping

ihopfar

<snip>

I think the 18% gratuity was added to specialty dining, because folks didn't tip (same reason the automatic gratuities/DSC policies were set in place) and they added the 18% gratuity and took those servers out of the DSC.

<snip>

But those servers don't work exclusively in the specialty restaurants.

Haven't you noticed them also in the buffet lines and other venues?

Heck, Steakhouse and then passing out frozen grapes on skewers by the pool.

gary

Frank, don't mind NLH Arizona.

He is obsessed with convincing everyone that the DSC and 18% surcharges are simply tips divided among the crew, and that NCL doesn't take any for themselves.

If you present evidence to him that these are NOT tips, and that these are simply surcharges kept by NCL, he gets very agitated and states that it's only your "opinion".

Anyway, I think the cat is finally out of the bag here at CC regarding the true destination of these surcharges. Not sure why that bothers NLH Arizona so much.

Many crew have said that is not the case. They say they get the tips. The Dsc would have to show in the bottom line of NCL reports as added income and it does not.

So go ahead and convince yourself that your tip doesn't matter and affects no one but some big corporation.... but its a crap theory.You are taking money from the crew. But by all means, tip all the extra cash you want...on top.

Many crew have said that is not the case. They say they get the tips. The Dsc would have to show in the bottom line of NCL reports as added income and it does not.

So go ahead and convince yourself that your tip doesn't matter and affects no one but some big corporation.... but its a crap theory.You are taking money from the crew. But by all means, tip all the extra cash you want...on top.

Where has "many crew" said this? I haven't seen one crew member come out here and report that they are sure they get 100% of the DSC.

On the contrary, I've had several crew members at NCL and other major lines tell me that they do NOT get the DSC. These are not crew members on ships I've said, but rather ones I befriended on social media, and therefore have no reason to lie to me. Some even went into detail that they were unhappy about this situation, and wished that passengers didn't falsely believe that they had already been "tipped".

The DSC does not have to be listed as added income on reports. There are many ways that NCL could get around having to do this.

Why are you even trying to argue this position? Even NCL's own web page does not claim that DSC goes into a tip pool which is completely distributed to crew.

Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

https://www.ncl.com/faq%2523service-charge

"Incentive programs that your service charge supports"

What does that even mean?

Does that sound like the DSC is put into a giant pool and split among the crew members, or does the above sound like corporate-speak which is intentionally ambiguous in order to hide an unpleasant truth?

Also, feel free to explain why the DSC was raised TWICE IN FOUR MONTHS last year? Was NCL just overly generous to its crew members, to the point where they had no problem pissing off their customer base over it?

Wake up.

NCL's statements are not that precise. they show ticket revenues and onboard revenues, they do not break it down.

I have a very close friend who worked at NCL up until last year and when the changes happened to switch to a flat rate of pay instead of tips, he heard from several bartenders and waiters and the majority were happy with the change, a couple weren't happy and one was looking for work elsewhere due to the change.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

So...if you have already paid the 18% gratuity on the UBP...and you get really good service...is it acceptable to leave a CASH tip for your waiter/bartender? First time cruiser here - headed out in a week - and I had a friend tell me "no cash" on the ship. Do tell and THANKS!

So...if you have already paid the 18% gratuity on the UBP...and you get really good service...is it acceptable to leave a CASH tip for your waiter/bartender? First time cruiser here - headed out in a week - and I had a friend tell me "no cash" on the ship. Do tell and THANKS!
It is fine to leave a cash tip and it would be appreciated by the crew member.