Bahamas in December

silverpenguin

We've just booked a 3 night to Nassau in Mid December. We've cruised before, but always in the spring. So, I'm wondering what sort of clothes to pack and if I should steer clear of any water excursions (beach, stand up paddleboard, kayaking, etc...)?

Also, is there a formal night for that short of a cruise? What night would it be?

Thanks for any input you can offer!

i went to nassau and freeport in january. it was in the middle of a 'polar vortex' so it was at least 10 degrees cooler than it normally would be, or so i am assured. we still did a beach and snorkel excursion in freeport and went about our business in nassau.

on average, it will probably be high 70s.

here's a way to check far out forecasts from the weather channel:

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Nassau+The+Bahamas+BFXX0005:1:BF

for some reason i think that's stuck on september but you can change the month.

i walked around in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Same weather as Florida...definitely warmer than the NE states, but if a far-reaching cold front swings down, it will affect the Bahamas. You'll just need to wait until a week before to finalize your packing! Florida has been known to get hard freezes!

The formal night is always night 2...always!

Edited by cb at sea

I lived in Nassau when I was a kid, one year we would go swim on Christmas, the next it was too cold - so you can't really tell. I live in SW Florida now, some days we beach, some days we don't. But some tourists from far northern areas will swim when we think it's too cold!

We lived in Miami for years and whoever said the water is warm, must be from the Pacific Northwest or Alaska. Water temp Jan-March is high 60's to low 70's. I agree many, many tourists go in the water and have a great time. I am a scuba diver and would not go in the water without a full wetsuit. Air temp can be from the 60's to 80's, so check the weather a week in advance and pack accordingly.

As a Bahamian, I can speak from experience. Usually in December the weather is the same as it would be in Oct-Nov, that means an average 70 degrees daily. The lowest would a high 60. There might be some rain and/or some cool wind, but that's it. As people have said, the weather does closely resemble Florida (like Miami or Fort Lauderdale) but I'll say a bit warmer. Just because it's December doesn't mean its going to be cold in Nassau, it'll most likely feel the same as the rest of the year just a little colder and 'windy-er'

As for the water (beaches) for swimming, it wouldn't be cold but it wouldn't be hot either, it will be around room temperature or warm. So you can do all your water excursions

But nobody can predict the weather as it could be alot colder or blazing hot (has happened lol), I'm just going off what is typically the weather thru the years. Hope you enjoy The Bahamas!

Edited by ColourTheory

We lived in Miami for years and whoever said the water is warm, must be from the Pacific Northwest or Alaska. Water temp Jan-March is high 60's to low 70's. I agree many, many tourists go in the water and have a great time. I am a scuba diver and would not go in the water without a full wetsuit. Air temp can be from the 60's to 80's, so check the weather a week in advance and pack accordingly.

Yes, I agree with this! If you're from the chilly north, it will probably feel comfortable to swim - but if you are from the south brrrrr

we're on Valor to Nassau on Dec 1st so I'll stick a toe in the water and report back.

(I'm one of those Floridians who thinks it's pretty cold when it's in the 60s and I don't swim in water that cold either lol)

Oh thanks! We're in the south and I tend to be cold natured. At least I will be able to buy appropriate attire if it is cold. Not so much if it's warm. [emoji20]