Can we still visit Queen Mary for free

Loreni

Earlier this year someone was on a California coastal with Princess and it docked in the same harbor as the original Queen Mary. They wrote that if we show our Princess cruise card we get free admission.

However, I can't find anything about this on the Queen Mary site. Has anyone tried this recently? Is it a far walk? I don't think I'd pay to do this again, since we've been here several times before. But if it is close...and free...it could be kinda interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.

Preface by saying that I don't know the answer to your question.

Moving on to say,...a side-by-side comparison is pretty difficult to achieve given the re-build that the QM has undergone. I stayed on her several years ago and my recollection is that "hotel" guests have access to areas of the ship that touring guests do not. Touring guests don't really get to see too much of the ship in its state as a ship now that so much of it has been repurposed. So while one might be doing a side by side comparison, it would be like comparing a watermelon to turnip.

queen mary is pretty and art deco. if you haven't been, i do think it is a nice thing to do close to the port . you can walk all the way around the promenade, see some rooms, the bar, the infirmary. there are some nice restaurants. currently there is an exhibit of princess diana's dresses which is lovely.

Earlier this year someone was on a California coastal with Princess and it docked in the same harbor as the original Queen Mary. They wrote that if we show our Princess cruise card we get free admission.

However, I can't find anything about this on the Queen Mary site. Has anyone tried this recently? Is it a far walk? I don't think I'd pay to do this again, since we've been here several times before. But if it is close...and free...it could be kinda interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.

Unfortunately, the answer is 'no'. :( I had a port stop at San Pedro this past spring on the Island Princess, and wondered the same thing about free admittance. I emailed the QM staff asking if our Princess card would get free access, and got he following reply:

================

Good Afternoon Mr. xxx

Unfortunately, the free admission are for carnival cruise ships decking in the port of Long Beach not San Pedro.

Thank you

SHAWNTA’ CATTRON / GUEST SERVICES

THE QUEEN MARY HOTEL

1126 QUEENS HWY / LONG BEACH CA 90802

PHONE: (562) 435-3511 /FAX: (562) 437-4531

===============

If you're on the Star coastal out of Vancouver next month, then we are docking at Long Beach, so I wonder if the reply from the QM above still applies.

Either way, I think it's well worth the money to pay for one of the guided tours -- we did the historical tour last year and it was interesting and funny!

This year we'll have more time since the ship is docking in Long Beach (pretty much right beside the QM) so we're doing the historical tour again AND the haunted ship tour (with lots of time in between for drinks in the observation bar). :)

Was on a Princess Cruise, docked in Long Beach.

Princess card got us on Free.

If docked in San Pedro.. NO

Walked around ship, can't see cabins when free.

Other special tours cost.

Bought lunch on ship. Seeing ship and eating there

was nice. Did it once but probably wouldn't do it again.

Edited by Belle

I was there in Oct 2015 on a Princess Coastal cruise down from SF. We docked in Long Beach and it was just a short walk over to the Queen Mary. I walked on for free and headed over to the ticket office. It wasn't yet open but I talked to one of the girls setting up and she recommended just wandering around without one of the tours. I was able to see a fair amount of the ship but a lot was blocked off that day as they were filming some TV show.

It was sort of eerie wandering around the hotel area hallways, I can sure see why people say it is haunted. When I was there they were in the process of building some new exhibit in the lower stern area and the engine room area was officially closed. As I wandered around I followed a couple into the area and no body stopped us. I was able to see a lot of the stuff and we all even descended down into the engine spaces. Free was a nice bonus this time.

Overall it was very interesting as I had visited one before but that was years before I took my first cruise, I had actually gone to see the Spruce Goose. That tells you how long ago it was lol.

What part of Carnival cruise ships do you not understand? Apparently, the free admission is for Carnival cruisers only. The price of admission can't be very expensive....

I believe he used the term "Carnival" to refer to Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) ships, which would include Princess. We docked in Long Beach last Fall on Princess and were allowed free entry to the Queen Mary.

Got to go on board the RMS Queen Mary in South Hampton while the France (which we had sailed from NY) was tied up at an adjoining pier. Tells you how old I am:-). Saw the QM sail into LB back in '67 and visited it a few times again while we lived in So Cal. Glad it wasn't scuttled, unlike the SS France (later to be NCL's Norway).

49er

What part of Carnival cruise ships do you not understand? Apparently, the free admission is for Carnival cruisers only. The price of admission can't be very expensive....

Nice. :rolleyes: :p

The QM folks specified only ships docked at the Long Beach pier (which most of the time are Carnival ships) so I was simply speculating that since the Star WILL be docked there this October, the free admission may apply.

Ok so I just called the RMS Queen Mary and talked with the operator. She told me that Carnival Cruise Line will give free passes to their guests when they dock at Long Beach. It is not offered by the RMS Queen Mary. As far as she remembers it was only Carnival Cruise Line ships. Now maybe when Princess occasionally uses Long Beach as a stop on one of their cruises they might do the same thing

Ok so I just called the RMS Queen Mary and talked with the operator. She told me that Carnival Cruise Line will give free passes to their guests when they dock at Long Beach. It is not offered by the RMS Queen Mary. As far as she remembers it was only Carnival Cruise Line ships. Now maybe when Princess occasionally uses Long Beach as a stop on one of their cruises they might do the same thing

Thank you. I will check when aboard.

We visited the Queen Mary a few years back, simply by showing our Princess cruise card.

I was not very impressed... it is a good wake call on the level of luxury regardless of category we all enjoy today.

By comparison I just did a 14 day cruise on the current Queen Mary !!... simply because folks say you must experience this ocean liner. well I did and once again I was not impressed. There were some things I enjoyed... but do not really get why the QM2 is a big deal. Have cruised the Queen Victoria, same line, Cunard 2x and loved it... would go back on the Queen Victoria or the Queen Elizabeth if I found a tour wanted to do.

So yes you can visit the Queen Mary, don't expect much though.

I was there in Oct 2015 on a Princess Coastal cruise down from SF. We docked in Long Beach and it was just a short walk over to the Queen Mary. I walked on for free and headed over to the ticket office. It wasn't yet open but I talked to one of the girls setting up and she recommended just wandering around without one of the tours. I was able to see a fair amount of the ship but a lot was blocked off that day as they were filming some TV show.

It was sort of eerie wandering around the hotel area hallways, I can sure see why people say it is haunted. When I was there they were in the process of building some new exhibit in the lower stern area and the engine room area was officially closed. As I wandered around I followed a couple into the area and no body stopped us. I was able to see a lot of the stuff and we all even descended down into the engine spaces. Free was a nice bonus this time.

Overall it was very interesting as I had visited one before but that was years before I took my first cruise, I had actually gone to see the Spruce Goose. That tells you how long ago it was lol.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. Just wandering for a short time. I don't want to do any more tours of the Queen Mary.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. Just wandering for a short time. I don't want to do any more tours of the Queen Mary.

I was impressed by how much I saw just wandering around. be sure to head to the very stern open decks then go down. Some interesting areas including the quarantine hospital.

Nice. :rolleyes: :p

The QM folks specified only ships docked at the Long Beach pier (which most of the time are Carnival ships) so I was simply speculating that since the Star WILL be docked there this October, the free admission may apply.

On the Star last year, docked at Long Beach. Very short walk through the cruise terminal and through the parking lot of the QM. On reaching the admission booth, they just said to show our cruise card. No fuss whatever. Thought it was very worthwhile, even though I had visited it many years ago. My DH had not seen it, and he really enjoyed it