Disney Wonder on Webcam showing her being stripped

Ex techie

An articulated rudder specifically requested for berthing at Castaway Cay.

Nice shot of a thruster too. Those are huge.

I did not know that about the rudders :)

The thrusters are are huge, you are right.

Maybe 15' diameter given the hight of the worker below it?

ex techie

I did not know that about the rudders :)

The thrusters are are huge, you are right.

Maybe 15' diameter given the hight of the worker below it?

ex techie

Actually, virtually every cruise ship I've seen with rudders has a "trim tab" or Becker rudder. Rudders tend to lose effectiveness with ship speeds below 3 knots, which is why thrusters were introduced. Thrusters on the other hand, tend to lose effectiveness when ship speeds are above 3 knots. Becker rudders were introduced to bridge that zone and provide redundancy. These rudders will act like airplane ailerons and provide sideways "lift", even at slow forward ahead or astern speeds, because the water flow from the propeller is enough to create the lift. Our Captains and Staff Captains would practice making dockings and undockings with various systems "out of order" (still running but not used), like not having stern thrusters and using the propellers ("splitting" them, or putting one ahead and the other astern) and rudders only. When trained, performance was nearly identical.

Actually, virtually every cruise ship I've seen with rudders has a "trim tab" or Becker rudder. Rudders tend to lose effectiveness with ship speeds below 3 knots, which is why thrusters were introduced. Thrusters on the other hand, tend to lose effectiveness when ship speeds are above 3 knots. Becker rudders were introduced to bridge that zone and provide redundancy. These rudders will act like airplane ailerons and provide sideways "lift", even at slow forward ahead or astern speeds, because the water flow from the propeller is enough to create the lift. Our Captains and Staff Captains would practice making dockings and undockings with various systems "out of order" (still running but not used), like not having stern thrusters and using the propellers ("splitting" them, or putting one ahead and the other astern) and rudders only. When trained, performance was nearly identical.

Cool facts Chief!

ex techie

I was surprised when I saw this as the chandelier for the Wonder as it is obviously very different from the horrible piece they chose for the Magic.

Although it is more in keeping with the Dream and Fantasy, I can't say I'm wow'd by it.

What are others opinions and thoughts?

ex techie

WDR%20Chandelier%20closeup.png

Edited by Ex techie

Hi Chief,

I just wondered about your opinion on this shot.

Assuming this is not a bad artefact of the picture upload, and since you mentioned that the prop blades are not replaceable as the whole prop is one piece, what happens if one blade is damaged? Do you just live with it and accept less efficiency?

Could damage like that be repaired with new metal?

That is, as above, if that is damage and not a photo defect.

Prop24.png

Prop%20CU.png

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I suspect that what you see is a defect in the photo image, as any "sawtooth" damage like that would at least have been "faired" smooth. As that is on the trailing edge of the blade, it isn't as critical, but it would affect balance.

For a one piece wheel like this, if there is a bent or cracked blade, they will shape a new piece ( large yards like this typically have a propeller manufacturer shop on site (subcontractor)), cut out the damage and weld in the new piece. They do this all the time, and do it so well, that unless the prop is newly polished, like this one, you won't notice the repair, and even when polished, you'll just see a line of different color where the weld metal is slightly different chemically than the base metal. Bronze wheels, the most common by far, are quite easy to weld repair like this. Stainless wheels, most common on smaller thrusters, are real specialty jobs, and frequently have to have that particular propeller's manufacturer do the repair, and even then they don't always warrantee the work.

Sometimes, when a one piece prop is damaged, the damage isn't too bad, and the ship isn't scheduled for drydocking for a couple of years, they will have divers cut away the damaged part, and then cut away the corresponding area of the opposite blade. Sometimes this requires a few attempts by divers over several ports to get the balance nearly right. It ain't a great solution, but it saves on emergency drydockings.

I was surprised when I saw this as the chandelier for the Wonder as it is obviously very different from the horrible piece they chose for the Magic.

Although it is more in keeping with the Dream and Fantasy, I can't say I'm wow'd by it.

What are others opinions and thoughts?

ex techie

I still don't understand why they replaced the Chilhuly chandeliers on both ships, unless perhaps they were "on loan" to DCL for a set number of years. And I wonder what became of them when they were removed.

I agree 100% that the new "ice cream cone" chandelier on Magic is just flat out ugly. This new one for Wonder isn't quite as bad, IMHO.

Edited by PopFla

I still don't understand why they replaced the Chilhuly chandeliers on both ships, unless perhaps they were "on loan" to DCL for a set number of years. And I wonder what became of them when they were removed.

I agree 100% that the new "ice cream cone" chandelier on Magic is just flat out ugly. This new one for Wonder isn't quite as bad, IMHO.

Hi Popfla.

Both chandeliers, due to the vessels motions and movements, could actually be seen to sway and were showing signs of Fatigue. DCL was worried that they could come apart and fall into the lower lobby area. Hence the much smaller replacements.

I was told the one off the Magic is going to, at some point, be put into the PC Terminal. The one off the Wonder I have not heard anything.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I was told the one off the Magic is going to' date=' at some point, be put into the PC Terminal. The one off the Wonder I have not heard anything.

AKK[/quote']

They did tend to sway a bit depending on the motion of the ship. The terminal would seem to be a fitting location. That's better than having them end up in a landfill.

One thing I've heard over the years is that the originals, designed by world-famous glass artist Dale Chihuly, were actually made of plastic. Anyone know for certain ?

The originals were owned by DCL. There is a story about how Chihuly had to develop a plexiglass material that he could work like glass because real glass was too heavy for a ship.

I've also heard stories about them being too heavy, too dangerous (after 15 years???), too hard to clean, etc. Then there was the story about making all the ship lobbies look "similar" which was used to justify the destruction of the Magic's beautiful double staircase, the ugly light fixture, etc. The staging they could do with that double staircase was super!

The one on the Wonder, IMHO is weird. It is better than the piece of junk they put on the Magic, but still--an odd choice. However, the Imagineers didn't confer with me before they allowed their quirkiness to run wild.

Edited by moki'smommy

I suspect that what you see is a defect in the photo image, as any "sawtooth" damage like that would at least have been "faired" smooth. As that is on the trailing edge of the blade, it isn't as critical, but it would affect balance.

For a one piece wheel like this, if there is a bent or cracked blade, they will shape a new piece ( large yards like this typically have a propeller manufacturer shop on site (subcontractor)), cut out the damage and weld in the new piece. They do this all the time, and do it so well, that unless the prop is newly polished, like this one, you won't notice the repair, and even when polished, you'll just see a line of different color where the weld metal is slightly different chemically than the base metal. Bronze wheels, the most common by far, are quite easy to weld repair like this. Stainless wheels, most common on smaller thrusters, are real specialty jobs, and frequently have to have that particular propeller's manufacturer do the repair, and even then they don't always warrantee the work.

Sometimes, when a one piece prop is damaged, the damage isn't too bad, and the ship isn't scheduled for drydocking for a couple of years, they will have divers cut away the damaged part, and then cut away the corresponding area of the opposite blade. Sometimes this requires a few attempts by divers over several ports to get the balance nearly right. It ain't a great solution, but it saves on emergency drydockings.

Thanks for the great info as always Chief!

ex techie