Disney Wonder on Webcam showing her being stripped

Ex techie

"A stateroom refers to a private cabin on board a ship with one or more berths and with a private bath. Originally the rooms on ships were all shared accommodation/baths and any private cabins were rare. How the use of the term stateroom came about is not certain however in the steamboat era private rooms were sometimes named after the states rather than given numbers so they were referred to as "state" rooms. The other explanation is that private cabins were reserved only for high ranking officials, senior officers, and people with wealth. Since heads of state would only travel in private rooms they became known as staterooms."

I didn't know how to word it right, so this works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now you didn't look that up did you travis???...lol

Not to many people now about rooms on the river steamers being named after the states!

I will add that*cabins* go back to sailing ships when they were starting to carry more and more passengers. The passengers wanted better accommodations then to lay on a mid deck.

The ship owners started building small houses on the decks for passenger rooms and they were generally rectangular and looked like *cabins*

AKK

Now you didn't look that up did you travis???...lol

Not to many people now about rooms on the river steamers being named after the states!

I will add that*cabins* go back to sailing ships when they were starting to carry more and more passengers. The passengers wanted better accommodations then to lay on a mid deck.

The ship owners started building small houses on the decks for passenger rooms and they were generally rectangular and looked like *cabins*

AKK

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't...lol I knew about the river steamers being named after states for sure, that was just a fancy way of wording it lol I did not however know that about the small houses on decks. Cool info!

What is the difference between helm commands and Tiller commands?

I have to run' date=' but Ill follow up later Buddy

AKK[/quote']

The tiller is a handle on the rudder of a boat used to steer, while a helm is a steering wheel. The tiller would sit at the back of the boat and push the handle left to right to steer to starboard or port, and the helmsman stands at the wheel on the bridge to steer the ship.

AKK[/quote']

A tiller command is opposite to the direction you wish to turn. To turn to port, you call "right tiller" and you push the tiller to starboard and the rudder moves to port. A helm command is in the same direction as the desired turn. "Left 10" requires the wheel to be turned to port, and the rudder also turns to port. US helm commands are "right" and "left" while other countries, especially the UK uses "port" and "starboard" for helm commands.

AKK[/quote']

Tiller commands are given in port/starboard of the direction that you want the tiller to move. The boat will move in the opposite direction.

Helm (wheel) commands are given in Right and Left or the direction that you want the wheel and the ship to turn.

In the movie Titanic, when the iceberg was sighted, the Officer of the Deck gave the helm command Hard to Starboard and the helmsman turned the wheel to the left. Many caught this as an error but at the time, that's how it was done on many ships. It took a long time and a lot of maritime casualties before the Left/Right was standardized. In the Coast Guard rules for Small Vessels carrying passengers for hire (Subchapter T, for those following along at home) there's a rule that requires signage showing <--- Left and Right ---> to be displayed, visible to the helmsman.

Edited by Host Mick

Hey there!

Well the *commands* thing was a bit of a trick question......the Chief and Mick knew where I was heading.....However what you posted was correct.

AKK

Tricky tricky Skipper! Lol either way, quiz day was fun! I'm officially under a year till my next DCL cruise! Can't wait! Hoping to see more of the Wonder soon. Not too much new stuff coming out of the woodwork!

No update pics, but I found a great picture of the Wonder in a foggy drydock

wdrfog.png

How the Imagineers stay inspired and motivated :rolleyes:

wdi.png

And some trivia. Do you know which horn plays which note?

horns.png

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

No update pics, but I found a great picture of the Wonder in a foggy drydock

ex techie

That is a technical superintendent's worst nitemare, because there will be no painting that day. Especially on the flat bottom, the condensation from a foggy morning like that can linger well into the afternoon. Since hull painting is usually a critical path item for the time in drydock, that is going to eat into any "sleeve" time they may have put into the schedule.

Edited by chengkp75

That is a technical superintendent's worst nitemare, because there will be no painting that day. Especially on the flat bottom, the condensation from a foggy morning like that can linger well into the afternoon. Since hull painting is usually a critical path item for the time in drydock, that is going to eat into any "sleeve" time they may have put into the schedule.

Hey Chief,

I don't know when that picture was taken, just when it was uploaded to instagram.

It makes absolute sense that you can't paint the hull when it has condensation on it and need to be dry.

The Magic's hull painting was delayed on one of her dry docks and never fully dried before she set sail again, resulting in a lot of the paint not adhering properly and being washed off.

But here is another shot of her, and she is coming along nicely!

The new paint looks great!

Sadly you can see deck 7 Aft is gone and a cover matching the rest of the ships lines added :(

Also, the Jumbotron/FunnelVision LED screen has been removed if you zoom in, so either was taken down for maintenance or upgraded! Probably upgraded to a higher definition screen with a higher resolution hopefully!

wdrpaint.png

ex techie

Yes, I've seen the "manta ray wings" of paint trailing beside the ship a couple of times, too. Bottom paint needs about 48 hours to dry before immersion, and that sometimes gets tricky if there are delays. The flat bottom of the ship never sees sunlight in drydock, so it can be a totally different ecosystem from the sides and there are lots of times where they can paint the sides but not the bottom. In one German drydock in winter, we had to have blast heaters put under the ship to "change the climate".

Hi guys.

One thing I don't see yet is a new water ride/slide ?

AKK

I believe they are in the process of installing the new Twist and Spout, and Aqua lab, but there won't be an Aqua Dunk, cuz who wants to use a water slide in Alaska? Lol

I believe they are in the process of installing the new Twist and Spout, and Aqua lab, but there won't be an Aqua Dunk, cuz who wants to use a water slide in Alaska? Lol

While that's a good point, it's only in Alaska for four months, the other 8 is ususally spent in Mexico and the Caribbean. And quite honestly, Alaska can have warm days, especially in July and August. Don't know if I would be brave enough try it while in Tracy Arm though.

Assuming you mean NYC, I would LOVE that!!!!!

Sorry typo......yes NYC. So would I enjoy NYC cruises, being here in CT.

I was just thinking that you figure 5-6 months in Alaska and Panama Canal re positioning trips and then another 4 or 5 months, fall, winter and spring out of NYC...That almost fills the year and they would not need the dunk slide.

From my understanding the Galveston cruises never sell well, but the NYC ones do!

Just a Thought.

AKK

Sorry typo......yes NYC. So would I enjoy NYC cruises' date=' being here in CT.

I was just thinking that you figure 5-6 months in Alaska and Panama Canal re positioning trips and then another 4 or 5 months, fall, winter and spring out of NYC...That almost fills the year and they would not need the dunk slide.

From my understanding the Galveston cruises never sell well, but the NYC ones do!

Just a Thought.

AKK[/quote']

I know I would do a winter/spring cruise on a Disney ship out of NYC without blinking an eye! Winter break AND spring break!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums