No Dynamic Dining for Ovation of the Seas

fairywren

While it can be immensely disappointing, unfortunately, the cruise contracts allow them to do all sorts of things legally without a care for the customer. However, that doesn't mean that a bit of compensation to repair the goodwill lost isn't forth coming.

I can understand your disappointment, the idea sounded wonderful but as we haven't experienced it as yet, we don't know what we have missed. As for Aussies, we represent a very small part of the market and some lines prefer to have consistency across the whole fleet, that said, some lines do change for the Aussie season and our market.:D

The difference is, this change is because of all the complaints they have had, and bad ratings due to DD.

They're making the change because DD has been viewed overall as a negative of the ships.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were to keep it here, that some would say "why do we get the cast offs, when the rest of the world has dropped Dynamic dining?" ;)

While it can be immensely disappointing, unfortunately, the cruise contracts allow them to do all sorts of things legally without a care for the customer. However, that doesn't mean that a bit of compensation to repair the goodwill lost isn't forth coming.

Perhaps, but it's not their new model.

When they introduced the substantial charge last year - with only 2 weeks notice - for ifly and northstar, there was no mention of compensation. And similar responses when complaints were made as to those posted earlier. That situation has an obvious direct financial impact, as distinct from the intangible one here.

The difference is, this change is because of all the complaints they have had, and bad ratings due to DD.

They're making the change because DD has been viewed overall as a negative of the ships.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were to keep it here, that some would say "why do we get the cast offs, when the rest of the world has dropped Dynamic dining?" ;)

They have made their decision and unless you are on a cruise on the Ovation before 23 November, I cannot see how they can be influenced in time to change their mind.

Perhaps, but it's not their new model.

When they introduced the substantial charge last year - with only 2 weeks notice - for ifly and northstar, there was no mention of compensation. And similar responses when complaints were made as to those posted earlier. That situation has an obvious direct financial impact, as distinct from the intangible one here.

My reference was to individuals not a blanket offer. They can and do change aspects of a cruise without having to do anything.

They have made their decision and unless you are on a cruise on the Ovation before 23 November, I cannot see how they can be influenced in time to change their mind.

I agree, but was referring to the likelihood of your comment of change for our market given the reasoning behind the change.

We are cruising Ovation on Feb 9 and have already been allocated a set dining time by RCI. Seems to be 6.00 pm and 8.30pm dining. We have 6.00pm and tried to change to 8.30 but it is waitlisted.

Megsie,

We have Traditional dining and have been allocated the 8.30 pm time-slot. We also tried to change but our Travel Agent advises the 6.00 pm sitting is also wait-listed. I do wish they'd sort it out.

We are cruising Ovation on Feb 9 and have already been allocated a set dining time by RCI. Seems to be 6.00 pm and 8.30pm dining. We have 6.00pm and tried to change to 8.30 but it is waitlisted.

Megsie,

We have Traditional dining and have been allocated the 8.30 pm time-slot. We also tried to change but our Travel Agent advises the 6.00 pm sitting is also wait-listed. I do wish they'd sort it out.

You too should swap seating's with each other, although it may work better if you re on the same cruise.;)

You too should swap seating's with each other, although it may work better if you re on the same cruise.;)

obviously you are in the 'wrong' business - you should be organising tables :)

RCL needs a little 'cruise app' on board : 'select your table time' each day - and get away from this rigid model.

Sure there will be some that don't care - but there will a lot that want to swap/change depending on what is on.

For those of you on a set dining time you don't like have you tried changing to My Time so at least you can eat a time that suits you?

We tried set dining for a cruise or two at the start but once we moved to My Time we could never go back.

Regards booking Ovation for DD - we didn't book her just for the food - it's a combination of things for us, but DD was a big change from the normal option & all the varied decors matched to the different cuisines was an added level of experience that really appealed to me. Since we do try out specialty restaurants we found the option to eat somewhere different each night one of the reasons to book & pay a LOT more for this cruise than normal to experience ALL they advertised.

The dumbed down menu is disappointing but the lack of option to enjoy the different restaurant settings is also a big disappointment for me, as a graphic designer I really notice how things look & if for example I'm eating in Silk that is Asian themed but not eating Asian it will feel out of context for me. I wanted to enjoy the match of menu to décor - it adds depth to the whole dining experience.

I do feel ripped off, I hope Royal finds a way to allow us to at least eat in the 4 different venues.

They should have just left DD intact for this first Australian season since we all booked based on it being that way, then changed it for the following season giving people enough notice to change their bookings if lack of DD was a game changer & new bookings would be made on the understanding DD is now defunct.

Changings things literally a few months out isn't fair. :(

The new dining system on Ovation is called Dynamc Dining Classic. Set dining times "in a preset lineup of restaurants", 6.00 and 8.30. My time dining option available as well.

But all 3 options are waitlisted on our cruise. Looks like everyone has been given an allocation and that's it. Probably changes can be made when onboard.

Not really bothering us as we're pretty easy going about dining.

The new dining system on Ovation is called Dynamc Dining Classic. Set dining times "in a preset lineup of restaurants", 6.00 and 8.30. My time dining option available as well.

But all 3 options are waitlisted on our cruise. Looks like everyone has been given an allocation and that's it. Probably changes can be made when onboard.

Not really bothering us as we're pretty easy going about dining.

Yes, first day on-board you see plenty of people wanting to change their dining arrangements.

They may open up again though once the dust settles form the DD change announcement.

We are very easy going about dining also - but that is why we love My Time, it's not conducive to easy going when you are forced to eat at a set time. Some evenings we get caught up in the Diamond Lounge talking with friends & forget the time so miss dinner altogether & have to grab a snack at the café!! :D

RCL needs a little 'cruise app' on board : 'select your table time' each day - and get away from this rigid model.

Sure there will be some that don't care - but there will a lot that want to swap/change depending on what is on.

They do have that - it's called My Time Dining.

The new dining system on Ovation is called Dynamc Dining Classic. Set dining times "in a preset lineup of restaurants", 6.00 and 8.30.

Just to clarify that is one of the old options. It will not be available on Ovation cruises in Aust.

The new option replacing that is Traditional (at 6 and 8:30). Additionally, there is My Time Dining.

So maybe our 6.00pm dining allocation by RCI is therefore not an indication of any change.

It was on our booking that now has a 6.00 sitting with the other details as quoted re Dynamic Dining Classic with 6.00, 8.30 sittings and MyTime Dining.

So I guess we have a time allocation which is a good thing but who knows where!

obviously you are in the 'wrong' business - you should be organising tables :)

There is flexibility for dining options, Traditional Dining with the two set times or 'My time Dining' which is just like Select Dining, Anytime Dining or Freestyle dining on different lines.

Megsie,

This will be a regular occurrence I am afraid due to the smaller capacity of the dinning rooms on ships designed for DD. I believe Royal thought they could flip the tables over 3 times a night or more people going to the upcharge joints with DD. Both fell short of the mark.

Didn't happen and now they are scrambling for a better (more popular) alternative by reverting to traditional and MTD.

This lack of traditional spots will push more people into MTD and the scramble to book spots in the smaller MTD spaces will be on for young and old.

So maybe our 6.00pm dining allocation by RCI is therefore not an indication of any change.

It was on our booking that now has a 6.00 sitting with the other details as quoted re Dynamic Dining Classic with 6.00, 8.30 sittings and MyTime Dining.

So I guess we have a time allocation which is a good thing but who knows where!

It'd be traditional dining in either Chic or Grande.

I believe they kept the times as was i.e. if you were down for DD classic at 6, you switched to Traditional at 6, DD classic at 8:30 becomes Traditional at 8:30, and DD becomes MTD.

It'd be traditional dining in either Chic or Grande.

I believe they kept the times as was i.e. if you were down for DD classic at 6, you switched to Traditional at 6, DD classic at 8:30 becomes Traditional at 8:30, and DD becomes MTD.

That sounds ok to us, not that we will have every meal there. I think MTD has become more popular over the years since it has been introduced.

No doubt though, we will never suffer from hunger on a cruise!