NCL approach -second thoughts

chisoxfan

I doubt they'll have independent owners. According to this Miami Herald article:

" Five dining and bar outlets including a two-story Landshark Bar & Grill (with swim-up pool bar) that is an expansion of Norwegian’s partnership with Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. Other a la carte dining options: casual street-style dining in the shopping village, the Laughing Bird Bar & Grill on the beach, the Manatee Marina Bar & Grill in the marina, and the Horse-Eye Jack Bar & Grill by the pool."

Considering Regent and Oceania will be using, also, along with excursions/activities exclusivity their ROI should be swift and huge :-)

As far as any "price breaks", even if they charge the ship's bar prices, it will be over priced. IMO, they have increased their bar prices to unreasonable heights. Of course, I don't have to buy them; all about choices<g>

Not sure how true it is, but someone posted that the bars are owned by local independent owners, thus that is the reason they weren't included in UBP. Again, not sure how accurate the information is from that poster.

If the UBP is not able to be used (which I hope it is), I would hope that NCL would at least make an agreement with the bars where they subsidized some of the cost, so that the cost of drinks are really low priced for the passengers with the UBP, but they really should be free for anyone with the drink package.

As far as any "price breaks", even if they charge the ship's bar prices, it will be over priced. IMO, they have increased their bar prices to unreasonable heights. Of course, I don't have to buy them; all about choices<g>

Then do what I'll do, don't go on the island, as you can stay on the ship and if you have the UBP, drinks are included. Yes, there are always choices.

I can't remember for sure, but I thought I recently read someone reserved a cabana for $450 (maybe Sisaaaa?) I don't know what size, but I was surprised at the cost. I guess you get a $50 food/bev credit, but still.....

I don't do private island, but this one sounded good to me, but now not so sure. I would have purchased a cabana, but now if the drinks and food aren't included in that purchase, I'll probably just stay on the ship.

I can't remember for sure, but I thought I recently read someone reserved a cabana for $450 (maybe Sisaaaa?) I don't know what size, but I was surprised at the cost. I guess you get a $50 food/bev credit, but still.....
That would fall within my budget, so if there is the $50 food/beverage credit, I'd probably do it, as I hopefully wouldn't drink or eat more than than.

- we pay an 18% grat up front for UBP - Yes - No additional gratuity is required or expected

- specialty dining will incur an 18% charge - Yes - No additional gratuity is required or expected

- no bottled water included in UBP/ no water allowed to bring on board - Yes

- 7.95 charge for room service full breakfast items Not sure if this is a charge all day - Yes all day

- researching Harvest Caye it now looks questionable to me that UBP will be honored on the island and no food will be offered without charge. - Looks that way - no one knows and ther is no accurate information available to anyone. All speculation is that it will be included.

- Margaritaville will be a pay as you go experience - Yes - why would you eat there anyway?

- we will pay (if available) 100 pp for Vibe (one week) - Yes but I think its $199

My answers are in blue

I was thinking for the price of a cabana (I am not a sun gal, so would want one), it would make for a great spa day.

Those villas sound really cool, 'tho. Maybe they'll be some roll call people interested in sharing.

Then do what I'll do, don't go on the island, as you can stay on the ship and if you have the UBP, drinks are included. Yes, there are always choices.

I was thinking for the price of a cabana (I am not a sun gal, so would want one), it would make for a great spa day.

Those villas sound really cool, 'tho. Maybe they'll be some roll call people interested in sharing.

I don't do the sun either. The villas sound really cool (literally with the air conditioning), but I'm guessing they will be priced out of my budget.

Starting to read the CC postings more thoroughly with an NCL cruise coming up.

I note the general dissatisfaction with some of NCL's policies. Summing up my understanding:

- we pay an 18% grat up front for UBP

- specialty dining will incur an 18% charge

- no bottled water included in UBP/ no water allowed to bring on board

- 7.95 charge for room service full breakfast items Not sure if this is a charge all day

- researching Harvest Caye it now looks questionable to me that UBP will be honored on the island and no food will be offered without charge.

- Margaritaville will be a pay as you go experience

- we will pay (if available) 100 pp for Vibe (one week)

We are getting within a few weeks of final payment and frankly am getting a bit bothered myself with the 'nickle and diming' approach. Was aware of several of these items when I booked but not all. Bringing water on board was an option then as an example and I assumed HC had UDP included. Just learned about the room service charge. It is not so much the specific costs involved but the marketing concept behind this approach. I love cruises in part because of the minimal focus on 'spending' while on board especially with drink packages, etc.

I am not posting this to inflame but to share my thoughts as an (primarily) X cruiser who has taken 5 NCL cruises but the last was several years ago.

Yes, I know this is for the most part 'upfront' info that has to be weighed to make a purchase decision but it still causes pause none the less. Probably going to keep my eyes open to X, HAL, and Princess options in the next few weeks. JMHO

Raising the drink prices so they are no longer covered by UBP.

I'd suggest you look at OVERALL costs. Are other cruise lines offering the same prices? Are the inclusions more to your liking and acceptance? Do you FEEL better about your vacation with a another line?

Everyone is different. I highly value NCL's pricing. I get the rock bottom prices I want with guarantee cabins- I get 2 free cocktail parties a cruise, which is enough drinking for me. :) I get a free LeBistro meal- many times only one I'm eating outside of the buffet.

This suits my travel style.

I suggest you determine- the bottom line with what YOU are looking for and want from your vacation. Then go with that "choice".

I agree with this point of view. I've cruised with Norwegian once and certainly not loyal to them. That being said, when we were looking at a Caribbean cruise for this winter, that went to islands we hadn't been to before, We looked at Norwegian, Royal, Carnival, and Celebrity. I was biased against Norwegian due to the fact that I dislike how often their policies change. But, side by side, the Norwegian cruise appeared to be the best value. For us it was the best combination of ports and price per night, plus it included the free UBP and UDP. I think the service charge is high, but since we've paid that I'm not feeling compelled to tip anything additional onboard, so from that standpoint the nickel/diming will be less. The bottled water is irrelevant, we refill bottles as we go. The room service charge is irrelevant, we never order room service. The Harvest Caye and Margaritaville are irrelevant since neither applies to our trip. So, ultimately it just comes down to which policies affect you, and whether or not the price/value of the trip compensates for it. Now, we probably will never be loyal to Norwegian due to how often their policies change, but feel like that applies across the board too.

Water is included for no charge for all passengers. Bring your own refillable bottles.

Vibe isn't nickel and diming. Only 75-80 out of 4000 passengers can even spend the $100 if they want, so that's hardly a nickel and dime situation. It's not like charging for a pillow, or some other necessity.

I've paid a gratuity on drinks since my first cruise. This is nothing new. Now I pay it on the package instead of on each drink on the ship. Personally, I found this to be pretty convenient. I guess if it's nickel and diming, you can go back to the beginning of time when ships started charging gratuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I note the general dissatisfaction with some of NCL's policies. Summing up my understanding:

- 7.95 charge for room service full breakfast items Not sure if this is a charge all day

- researching Harvest Caye it now looks questionable to me that UBP will be honored on the island and no food will be offered without charge.

We are getting within a few weeks of final payment and frankly am getting a bit bothered myself with the 'nickle and diming' approach. Was aware of several of these items when I booked but not all. Bringing water on board was an option then as an example and I assumed HC had UDP included. Just learned about the room service charge. It is not so much the specific costs involved but the marketing concept behind this approach. I love cruises in part because of the minimal focus on 'spending' while on board especially with drink packages, etc.

I am not posting this to inflame but to share my thoughts as an (primarily) X cruiser who has taken 5 NCL cruises but the last was several years ago.

Yes, I know this is for the most part 'upfront' info that has to be weighed to make a purchase decision but it still causes pause none the less. Probably going to keep my eyes open to X, HAL, and Princess options in the next few weeks. JMHO

I have to say that I did know about all of these charges and booked my cruise with NCL anyway, after considering the whole price of the vacation, and comparing to the competition. Having said that, each of these things bother me as well, having cruised other lines. I had considered with each cruise in the past, booking with NCL and decided against it due to all of the annoying policies that NCL seems to have with up charges and policy changes. Specifically the Vibe pass, Room service charge, lack of complimentary dining experiences, (and now another with them replacing the complimentary Uptown Grill with an up- charge Margaritaville) and no bottled water with UBP or having to pay for bottled water bothers me. It's not really about the money for me either, it's just being in sales/marketing myself all of the nickel and diming annoys me personally.

Not having to fly, and already having sailed out of Baltimore on the Pride last year, we decided to go ahead with the Breakaway and keep an open mind. I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise, and I will definitely compare NCL to our previous cruises, and if we are overly annoyed with the charges or not. That will determine whether or not we sail them again. But I completely agree with you that it's NOT necessarily about the money, it's about feeling like they are making you pay for things that I personally feel should be included in a $3200 cruise, that would be on other lines. The tipping charges I have to say do not bother me.

Edited by jetta8300

If these various things are a big concern for you I would definitely comparison shop and make sure you are getting what you feel like you are paying for. If you're getting close to final payment this is the time to do that. All of the water on board a ship is filtered so I get around the water bottle problem by just bringing an empty water bottle to fill up to take with me ashore. Since they charge about $149 to $299 per person more for rooms other than guarantees I take this into account when booking. Since they charge about $100 more for gratuities for the packages than for the balcony guarantee without the packages, it ends up costing $249 to $399 more if I choose the non guarantee room. My general cut off is for the price of the packages not to exceed $299 more than a balcony guarantee without the packages.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Much has changed in NCL world in the last couple of years. Whatever you decide, make sure you check out the current fare. Most of NCL fall cruises fares are down. Don't pay more than you have to. Have fun where ever you end up!

We, like you, have been away from NCL for a while, we tried X a few years ago and have loved it. That being said, we had a fcc that was set to expire in November, so we are sailing on the Escape just before it does. Not having water included in the UBP seems so silly, but that is their policy. Price wise our cruise on NCL is about $500 less per person than an X cruise, so with the price difference that will certainly pay for any water not included in the UBP. We keep seeing wonderful reviews for the Escape and are excited to try them again :)

So happy to see someone going in to this with an open mind!

I am certainly not loyal to any cruise line but since 2011 have been on 3 NCL cruises and just got off the Anthem of the Seas on Thursday. Sadly, this seems to be trend among all the lines. When booking a cruise, I have always looked for the best price and itinerary. The biggest reason I enjoy cruising is going to different ports. The on board experience is more alike than different on the different lines. I wanted to try the Anthem last year, but there was a similar cruise on the Gem that was about half the price and I liked the ports better.

It seems like they are offering a very low 'base' rate and then upcharging for most items. The good news is that it is possible to have a very cheap vacation if you don't drink much and just eat in the main dining rooms. The bad part is anything above that is going to cost extra money. The same thing is happening with the airlines. Pretty good airfare, but then $25 or more for each bag, a fee to reserve a specific seat, etc.

Bottom line is you now need to try to figure out how much you will drink, where you will dine, if internet is needed, etc and add all that on top of the base fare to see what it will cost. Then do the same for the other lines and you should come up with close to an apples to apples comparison.

I have to say that I did know about all of these charges and booked my cruise with NCL anyway, after considering the whole price of the vacation, and comparing to the competition. Having said that, each of these things bother me as well, having cruised other lines. I had considered with each cruise in the past, booking with NCL and decided against it due to all of the annoying policies that NCL seems to have with up charges and policy changes. Specifically the Vibe pass, Room service charge, lack of complimentary dining experiences, (and now another with them replacing the complimentary Uptown Grill with an up- charge Margaritaville) and no bottled water with UBP or having to pay for bottled water bothers me. It's not really about the money for me either, it's just being in sales/marketing myself all of the nickel and diming annoys me personally.

Not having to fly, and already having sailed out of Baltimore on the Pride last year, we decided to go ahead with the Breakaway and keep an open mind. I'm sure we will have a wonderful cruise, and I will definitely compare NCL to our previous cruises, and if we are overly annoyed with the charges or not. That will determine whether or not we sail them again. But I completely agree with you that it's NOT necessarily about the money, it's about feeling like they are making you pay for things that I personally feel should be included in a $3200 cruise, that would be on other lines. The tipping charges I have to say do not bother me.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion so I'm not going to try to convince you that if you are paying upcharges, it's because you're making the choice to do that. But, lack of complimentary dining? There's plenty of dining included in your fare between multiple MDRs, O'Sheehan's, Asian restaurant, Garden Buffet, etc. A lot of cruisers don't pay a dime for dining and others eat in the specialties. I'm one of those who chooses to eat most of my meals in the specialty restaurants--they are why I tried NCL to begin with. Personally, I would much rather get to choose what I pay for instead of everything being included in my fare if it means fares are lower when I get to choose.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion so I'm not going to try to convince you that if you are paying upcharges, it's because you're making the choice to do that. But, lack of complimentary dining? There's plenty of dining included in your fare between multiple MDRs, O'Sheehan's, Asian restaurant, Garden Buffet, etc. A lot of cruisers don't pay a dime for dining and others eat in the specialties. I'm one of those who chooses to eat most of my meals in the specialty restaurants--they are why I tried NCL to begin with. Personally, I would much rather get to choose what I pay for instead of everything being included in my fare if it means fares are lower when I get to choose.

Each line has a MDR, (multiple with the same menu, so listing all of the MDRs isn't really accurate) and a buffet. O'sheehans is definitely a nice addition, kind of like the 24 hour venues on the other lines (Sorrento's, etc.). We like Royal, but our last cruise with Carnival had a really nice complimentary Blue Iguana Cantina with lots of Mexican choices, and Guy's Burgers which was DELICIOUS. In addition to the MDR and buffet. We LOVED the Park Cafe, on Royal, which was almost like a Panera at sea. But it had lots of fresh and healthy choices, salad bar, etc. This is what I was looking forward to with the Uptown Grill on the Breakaway, and they are getting rid of that right before our sailing, and now adding another "for fee" Margaritaville. If the Uptown Grill was still around, I probably would not be saying there was a lack of complimentary options. I've heard to not even try to get to the noodle bar, that it's packed 24,7?

Like I said, I'm SURE we will have an amazing time. We will just have to see what our feeling are after the cruise is done! But we are really looking forward to our cruise. I am excited that the MDR seems to actually be open for lunch more often! Like for lunch the day we board. That's nice.

Edited by jetta8300

I have to say that I did know about all of these charges and booked my cruise with NCL anyway, after considering the whole price of the vacation, and comparing to the competition. Having said that, each of these things bother me as well, having cruised other lines. I had considered with each cruise in the past, booking with NCL and decided against it due to all of the annoying policies that NCL seems to have with up charges and policy changes. Specifically the Vibe pass, Room service charge, lack of complimentary dining experiences, (and now another with them replacing the complimentary Uptown Grill with an up- charge Margaritaville) and no bottled water with UBP or having to pay for bottled water bothers me. It's not really about the money for me either, it's just being in sales/marketing myself all of the nickel and dining annoys me personally..... .

On the Escape, which we just got off of 2 weeks ago,there are plenty of complimentary dining choices:

Garden Cafe Buffet - I generally dislike buffets at home and thought this was fabulous. lots of choices, views, plenty of seating and friendly staff.

Manhattan Room

O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill

Savor

Taste

Continental Breakfast Room Service is free and very plentiful. You only pay the service charge if you want something hot. We ordered this for 6:30 each morning and if we were still hungry we had a second breakfast a couple hours later up at the buffet. I didn't realize till we got off the boat that we could have gone to Taste or Savor as well. For two of us we'd have fresh fruit plate, a banana, bran muffins, danish or some other pastry and 2 pots of coffee. if you're a big coffee drinker order 3 or 4. All included. No $7.95 charge.

I think there was a package where you could buy 5 quart bottles of water for $15.

Edited by TrickyRicky_n_JoJo

Looks like you really like the all inclusive sort of package and that NCL to keep base prices low is charging for more and more things. And that you would need to pay extra for perks you care about and really enjoy. If that bugs you definitely comparison shop and pick what looks best to you and what you are most comfortable with. (I understand how you feel. It's similar to how I feel when I am at a four star hotel or onsite at Disney. I want some extras that are just so high priced, and it just makes me mad. I feel like a captive audience and it is very inconvenient for me to avoid the outrageous prices (sometime I go out of my way to avoid them and sometimes I just pay the price.) I tend to avoid these kinds of places because the high prices irritate me so much and stay at three star places and offsite in Orlando to be a happier person on vacation (I do have a bit of a bean counter personality and that kind of stuff and being a captive audience bugs be a lot). Just saying I totally get how you probably feel about some of that.

I think I'll be fine with NCL (am booking the Escape in March - family trip), as for me and my family we wouldn't be using those things they are charging extra for very much even if they were included. And at least they are clear about what they all are up front.

The only thing I will be drinking on our next cruise will be tap water. I'll be getting the gratuity perk and the specialty dining perk - for the 18% it will actually be fun to try two or three specialty restaurants. I'm happy to be unwired - not have internet, as I work in IT and love to be out of contact with as much as possible on vacation. I'm very happy doing most meals in the non upcharge dining places and would pick that even if there were no upcharges actually, mostly because DS is sort of a picky eater and I don't want more than two or three longer dinner during the week either.

Happy cruising to you whether it's NCL or another line. Do you think you'd like an all inclusive resort better than a cruise?? -- They seem to be more one price for everything than many of the mainline cruises seem to be these day?? NCL though does seem to have more upcharges than some of the other lines, but the other lines it seems are going this route a bit too, as other posters mentioned. My brother really likes all inclusive resorts and has found some really incredible deals in Mexico on these kind of places (high quality resort, amenities, dining, drinks, and entertainment) all for a very reasonable all inclusive price. I also really like the house rental / condo rental vacation sometimes when you bring as much of your own food and drink as you like and only dine out if you want to (you really have control over what you are spending big time.)

Thank you for your post and your balanced approach. I am trying to do the same in my cruise selections. I did not need to be chastised that 'if I don't like it don't open your wallet or choose another cruise line'. I have cruised NCL previously and would not have booked another cruise with them if I thought they were a terrible line. I do think they have carried the pay as you go concept too far and TO ME it does seem like nickle and diming. That said there are certainly values that NCL offers.

Not that anyone cares but I will list my thoughts as I selected my Jan 2017 Getaway Cruise:

-to start, the only reason we did not book X is that we have been on Reflection and Eclipse several times and the itinerary they offered was one we have done frequently We have upcoming longer cruises booked with X and Princess.

-we wanted a 'bonus' drink package. Outside of X only NCL and HAL offered these for our dates. Excluding water is cheap but the 15 buck drink limit is generous more so than HAL or X even with premium package. 18% grat added as extra cost is cheap approach IMHO better to have a lower drink limit and offer a premium upgrade including bottled water(for those who like the pay for what you want approach) while including grats.

-Vibe at 99 week is not a bad deal and clearly an extra option above and beyond what a cruise passenger should expect. Sanctuary on Princess (the only thing I can compare to) is twice as much money

-7.95 room service charge- kind of a money grab that other lines do not follow as far as I know. That said others are charging for pizza and hot selection of breakfast is not always the norm- I will reserve judgement until seeing room service in action

-private isle Harvest Caye- would be disappointed if drinks from UBP not included but who knows at this point. A new destination especially with pool is very welcome

- not sure frankly how much specialty dining is but I plan to try it and I believe it competitively priced with Princess and HAL. While good X specialty dining is very expensive 35-50pp. Adding grat as extra is again

questionable in my mind. Why not include it in extra charge- you have to pay it anyway.

-we have spa balcony and am looking forward to spa use. Aqua class on X is similar but the spas are frankly somewhat limited in features

-my main concerns on NCL are- more crowded ships especially pool areas

small balcony and cabin ( we will see when we get there). Longer dining wait times if we do not make resv, (we experienced on Jade and Epic

-positives -new itinerary, newer ship, hopefully a more exciting spa experience than X, better entertainment options?

So much of this has to be experienced to make a 'final' judgement.

At the end of the day we booked our cruise with the positives in mind. The

'nickle and dime' comments I started this post with are certainly concerns

but not to imply that cost of bottled water or room service charges blind us assessing the overall value of NCL.

My HAL CC is contacting me with pricing for a cruise on their latest ship leaving the same days and we will make a decision on which represents the greatest value for us. I can say if it was not for the 'additional cost' issues I identified in my post as concerns, I would have not have looked at alternative options before final payment. Happy cruising to everyone.

-

We are the opposite that is why we like the big NCL ships as the choice of restaurants is excellent. We normally buy a dining package for most nights.

We did RCL some years ago with family and hated the same table dinner every night in the same place.

Other lines are copying NCL, we went on the Harmony of the Seas out of Southampton and the choices of restaurants etc was a reason for giving it a try. We paid for the drinks package and dining package on there!

Happy to drink tap water and luckily in the UK we don't have to pay the 18% gratuity on the UBP when we get it for free!

Different people like different things..... :-)