Organized Cabin Tips/Hacks

amberry

Packing is an art, not a science. So is keeping the cabin tidy. Read the 'what to pack' lists with a critical eye. Much of the stuff on them most do not need. ie we've never brought a highlighter.

After each trip figure out what worked, and (more importantly) what didn't work for you.

One cruise we brought a pop-up hamper. Notice I said one cruise? Never brought one on any other trip.

Packing is an art, not a science. So is keeping the cabin tidy. Read the 'what to pack' lists with a critical eye. Much of the stuff on them most do not need. ie we've never brought a highlighter.

After each trip figure out what worked, and (more importantly) what didn't work for you.

One cruise we brought a pop-up hamper. Notice I said one cruise? Never brought one on any other trip.

Every year we make our own packing list ahead of time. We take it with us and any thing additional that we wish we had, we write it down. Anything we didn't need, we cross it off when we get home. We reuse the same list as a guideline every year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I bring lots of clothes, but can pack and unpack in about 15 minutes. I use ebags packing cubes. I use small ones for underclothes, the medium ones for shorts and tops, sundresses, thats 4 cubes. They fit nicely in my suitcase. I then use the same suitcase that has a hanging area, from top to bottom two hang my dresses for dinner, and after dinner dresses, about 10 to 12 dresses. Beach hat rolled up in pockets along with formal dinner purses. 4 pair shoes in corners. Extra totebag, goes in outside pocket. Carryon bag has ebags, flat toiletry bag , sundress, swimsuit , paperwork and jewerly. When i get on board I put packing cubes in drawers and hang dresses in closet. I put toiletry bag on shelf in closet. shoes on second shelf, done.. I love to dress and would be stressed, with only a few items. You can bring alot and and best of all , UNpack quickly and Pack just as quickly. I have my clothes washed on day 5 so i have almost no dirty clothes to take home. I have done this 15 times out of 21 cruises.. It a Breeze....LOL

When my kids were young I'd have them pick out outfits with tshirt, shorts, undies etc and roll them then pack. Unpacking was easy and they didn't need to try to find a shirt to match the shorts. Just grab the roll and put it on.

I just cruised and didn't take an evening purse or evening shoes. I wore 3 different shorts on a 5 day cruise and had about 7 tshirts. Also a pair of slacks, nice blouses for evening and one elegant top. Loaded my 2 zippable organziers which are much, much smaller than the over the door thingie. I also pack the shirts and slacks on hangers so when it's time to unpack it only takes about 6 minutes.

It was sad to see that suit case cloth across the bed the last sea day.

One of the reasons I like Carnival is the roomy shelves in the closet. I've never had to use the drawers other than that top middle one where I'll put "stuff" as in junk drawer!

The hairdryer provided works fine for me.

I have a clear 8X10 zipper bag that I take toiletries/makeup in so I'll stick that on the bathroom counter and pull out stuff as needed. My shampoo and bar soap go right into the shower and stay there.

I've found that packing light reduces stress (lol) so I mix and match everything I bring and keep the colors neutral and I'm down to packing no more than 3 pair of shoes (that all match every piece of clothing!) I only take a carry on and still come home with 1 or 2 things I didn't wear.

What do people put in those over the door holders? It seems to me they would get in the way and I can't imagine what I'd put in one....

The organizer has all kinds of stuff from a yellow marker to tape, personal hygiene things, emergency medical box (small), sun screen, binoculars, wine opener and on and on.

OK I get it...LOL

Those are things that go in the junk drawer!

I usually travel with three teenagers in one cabin and me and DH in the other. In our cabin, we put our dirty clothes in the suitcase, but for theirs, I bring a pop up laundry bin. It stores flat in the bottom of the suitcase. No way am I keeping teen age boys' dirty laundry in a suitcase for a week.

I am a huge fan of Ziplock bags. Everyone has one labeled for socks and underwear. Plus, each kid has one for their deodorant, face cleaning stuff, toothbrush, etc. They are each assigned a drawer /mcloset shelf and their bags go in it unless in use. All of their random items go back in their backpacks or a closet shelf when we leave the cabin. (Depends on the cabin...on our Allure cruise they had to use their backpacks. Not enough storage space.) I am not going to have us be "those people" for our stewards.

Since my boys wear mostly tshirts and shorts other than for dinner, I bring one of those hanging shelf closet things. They are fabric and just collapse flat. They do better with those than the shelves.

For the parent cabin, things are much simpler. We keep electronics when not in use in the top drawer along with the Chargers. I have one small bag for my make up and a Thirty One case for my jewelry. They both go in the next drawer down with our medications. Papers we want to keep get slipped into the front pocket of the suitcase. We also use the ziplock bags for socks and undies.

What do people put in those over the door holders? It seems to me they would get in the way and I can't imagine what I'd put in one....

I don't use them on Carnival, but we had three women in a pretty small cabin on NCL for a week. No counter space. Deodorant, lotion, sunscreen, make up, sandals in the bottom row, sail and sign cards, cameras, high lighters. Depends on the cabin and who you are sailing with.

Oh this is something I obsess over. I usually pack very light. But I think less or a lot it doesn't matter as long as you keep it put away. I take nothing special except this time I took a collapsible hamper. That is something I thought was ridiculous but for some reason I seen one and saw how small they got down to and decided to try it. It worked great and I will take one on all my trips. I either do laundry or send it to be done. I hate having laundry to do when I get home and I usually don't have enough nice clothes for a whole trip so end up doing laundry. Having the hamper makes it easy. I never put my suitcase under the bed. (my kids always do) I always think that is where bedbugs will be and it grosses me out. - Yes I know bed bugs can be anywhere even in the closet.

I usually empty the shelves of the coffee pot etc. and stash that stuff on the way top shelf as I would never use it then I have more room to sit cameras, phone etc.

We always use an over the door shoe organizer. One for shoes and one for toiletries, hairbrush, ect. Keeps everything organized but still accessible. Have never had a problem using them.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Our last cruise we used this and it was definitely a space saver!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of good reminders here.

I used to start the trip with suits, slacks, etc., fresh from the Cleaners. Now I pack my suit, dress shirt and don't worry about wrinkles. I unpack the very first thing and send the suit, etc., out to be laundered. Everything arrives fresh and on hangers the next day.

I have found on sea days where I had packed shorts and shirts, I often ended up spending all day in swim shorts and a t-shirt. My swim shorts are chosen to not draw attention to the fact that they are not shorts. They have pockets, etc and work fine; cuts down on shorts. I may have a casual button sport shirt I've worn to dinner, and then dedicate it to wearing with the swim shorts the rest of the cruise.

If I wear a Polo shirt one day, or for dinner, I save it to wear for a excursion day with more exertion (sweat) expected.

I carry a solid color sweater vest. Wear a dress shirt, and then wear the same dress shirt with the vest another day... sometimes two. But it's different!

Things like underwear, socks, belts, (things not worried about wrinkles) get shoved in empty spaces. Even shoes, sandals, etc. are stuffed into sides after using the inside straps.

Packing cubes, (mine are Eagle Creek) are used for shirts and pants I am concerned over getting wrinkles, and they work. I roll things like Levis, and often they fit in those empty spaces.

I still pack too much and often come home with unused shirts! But I'm getting better, and more likely to use the cleaners rather than stress over what to bring. But no washing machines for me.

I pack one larger suitcase that I can put out the night before. I have one smaller, wheeled case that I handle myself for disembarkation. Easier than stressing over what to pack, not pack, etc.

Ehhh....lots of extreme examples here. We keep it pretty simple.

Unpack completely. Hang as appropriate, drawers for the rest, shoes on the closet floor.

Use suitcase under bed as laundry hamper.

One over the door shoe organizer holds all toiletries, spare charging cables, sunscreen and most any other 'clutter' that would be on the counters.

Every morning purge any unnecessary flyers or receipts.

All dirty clothes gets folded up and put in our luggage when we are done with them. Not only does is keep the room tidy, when it's time to leave we have very minimal packing that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I like this tip!

I am usually an overpacker, but I am trying to do better. I go to the Dollar store and get the empty travel size containers to downsize shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. I also put back the trial size foundations, make-up, etc that I get as a gift with purchase and take those instead of full size products.

We put our luggage under the bed, but keep the lid folded back on one so that we can slide it out easily and use it as our hamper.

I have a roll up cosmetic type bag with several zipped compartments that I put on the bathroom door to keep everything off of the counter. No where near the size of a shoe holder and holds all of the smaller items.

I do the exact things you do and it makes a tremendous difference in cabin life :D Got my roll-up bag at Walmart.

We also never leave the cabin for breakfast or for dinner without picking up any "rubble" laying around. Only takes a few seconds that way.

I also pack my "everyday items" like pills, make-up, and cream in a small attractive basket. I pack the basket at home and drop it right into my carry-on bag. When I unpack the already filled basket goes right onto the shelf and keeps that stuff all in a neat place where I can find it.

I have my clothes on hangers packed covered with dry cleaner bags. When I unpack, I just hang them up which makes for easy unpacking.

I have a fold up mesh hamper from Dollar Tree that goes into the bottom of the suitcase at home and when I unpack, it goes into the closet for dirty clothes. I use one drawer for makeup, deodorant, hair care etc.

I also have travel sizes of shampoo, shower gel and face cleanser that I leave in the shower. Purses, tee shirts, husband's shorts all went on the shelves of the closet.

The only things on the bathroom shelves near the mirror are toothbrushes (in cases) as well as toothpaste and mouthwash. Dental floss goes in the makeup drawer.

I also throw away the ads etc daily, and the Funtimes the next day. I don't need to save them for any reason.

When it comes time to pack to go home, I just put the things left on the hangers and the fold up hamper into one suitcase and all dirty clothes into the other. Works well for us and our cabin is always neat

Packing cubes: Move them from suitcase to drawer - underwear, t shirts, bathing suits, etc. Cubes to hang: shirts, pants, dresses, etc. Take to closet & hang. Bathroom cubes: toothbrushes, hair stuff, shave stuff, etc - leave in cube on counter. Bring hotel laundry bag from pre-cruise night for dirty clothes. Use cruise laundry for laundering before leaving ship, come home with clean clothes (1 bag for (I think) $15 special) - watch your flyers. Bring only a non-surge protecter power bar for plug ins. Store flyers and assorted daily paper ads on a shelf for disposal after cruise (or throw out daily). Top drawer in dressing table for change & receipts during cruise. Have plenty of singles for AM room service coffee & extra tips for bar/drink waiter staff. Our cruise travel tips, YMMV.:D

• 8 months later...

I am a kind of women who doesn't like to go messy. I felt like the most difficult thing to pack and organize is the shower products. It is pretty difficult to organize it. I use toiletry bags for packing the accessories. It helps to keep the things organized. The toiletry bag has a hook that can be hung in the bathroom. It will help in adding space to your bathroom. toiletry-bag-organized-1024x1024.jpg

Likewise, there are many bath and shower accessories available in the market which will help in organizing the bathroom. I take shower pocket organizer and wave toilet caddies wherever I go. They are easy to carry and can keep the shower products in it without any mess.

I try to keep to a carryon size bag for a week.

Roll most items, only bring two pairs of shoes, forget about the suit, slacks, tie and dress shoes (yes I wear a polo or button down for dinner on cruise elegant night, sorry if anyone is offended) Wear shorts and pants more than once etc.

Another fan of travel cubes. Also use hanging organizer in bath for small items. Another tip I learned years ago from travelling for work alot. Always have basics packed to go and kept in carry-on; put several days outfits in packing cube, back into suitcase when done; base color for big pieces a couple of accessory colors for smaller pieces.

DH and I both get free bag check, we split up half and half of each other's clothes in each checked bag in case one doesn't make it and yup gas happened more than once.

We are very simple packers. Carry on and backpack each. Carry on gets tablet meds change if clothes and toiletries - one for liquids and one for dry goods.

Also a misc bag with clothes pins, lanyards, pen, sticky pad etc.

Packing is a breeze.

2 dresses

1 black pant

4 evening tops

3 shorts

7 shirts

2 swimsuits

Coverup

Underwear, socks etc

3 nighties

Water shoes

Black dressy sandals

Black flip flops

Yoga pants

Hoodie

I wear yoga pants and hoodie on (coming from VA) with tennis shoes.

Everything goes with black. This gives me dresses for elegant and slacks with a top for casual evenings. Shorts can be worn 2 days or, because they are the Columbia nylon type washed in the sink and hung up. Just need a fresh shirt each day which can become a gym shirt the next.

Everything will be worn by the end of the cruise. Pre platinum it just got tossed into the suitcase and then the washer at home. Now that I am platinum I go home with clean and folded clothes. Best perk EVER!

All the gadgets (except clothes pins) are just a waste. Minimal toiletries - I use their shampoo and soap and bring just some foundation, eye liner, mascara and one lip gloss. Simple works best for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums