A bunch of quick NCL questions

Judy32

I am considering a last-minute NCL cruise (like, maybe next weekend). This will be my first time on a traditional cruise line. I have lots of questions, but most of them are quick, factual questions. So, I’m combining them into one post. If you can answer even one of the questions, please do so. Thanks in advance for your help!

Is it a problem to use a travel agent for a last-minute cruise? Is the reservation more likely to get messed up with a TA than if made directly with the cruise line?

The cruises I am considering leave from Miami. Does NCL have a ticket office at the port there, similar to the airline ticket counters at airports? (I won't try to book on the day of departure, but it would be good to speak to someone in person if I show up and there's a problem with my reservation.)

I have heard there are porters at the Miami cruise port to help with luggage. If a taxi drops me off at the cruise port, are porters available very close to the drop-off point, similar to the “curbside skycaps” at an airport?

I’m considering a cruise that doesn’t embark until 7 pm. How early can I board?

While flying to the port, I need to bring a CPAP and some other fragile things in my carry-on. If my room isn’t ready when I get to the ship, do I have to drag the carry-on with me to the buffet and everywhere else? Or, is there any place to store things (say, similar to a coat check room)?

I’ve heard both that a power strip will be essential (Dear Husband and I both use CPAP machines), and that power strips are forbidden. So, should I put the power strip in my carry on so it doesn’t get confiscated? (OK, maybe this one is an opinion, not factual, question!)

Does the ship keep track of how many meals you eat? I’m a vegetarian, and my DH is a steak-and-potatoes guy. If we go to, say, the steakhouse, there may only be a salad or something else very light I can eat. Can I later go to the buffet that evening if I’m still hungry, or order room service? Or will that be denied because I’ve already eaten dinner? Does NCL even keep track of who is eating in the MDR or buffet? And, is there a limit to the amount of times you can order room service, or the amount of items you can request in one order? (I know about the $7.95 charge for each room service delivery.)

I’m confused by some specialty restaurants that are listed as “a la carte” in the list of restaurants but also say on their menu that they have a cover charge (and list few or no prices for individual items other than drinks.) Is there a cover charge *and* an “a la carte” fee for everything you order? Or is the cover charge all you pay for most dinners, with an extra “a la carte” item only for lobster and a few other high-end items?

How do you contact other people on the ship – say, a friend who is staying on another deck, or a family member who is off getting a snack while you are in the room? Are there phones in the staterooms that can be used to phone other stateroom? What about when you are not in a stateroom – is there a way to use a cell phone to contact someone in another part of the ship, without a huge charge? Or, are you basically unable to communicate with the rest of your party when you are walking around the ship?

My flight home will leave FLL in the afternoon. I've heard there are "post-shore" excursions one can take, rather than just sitting at the airport. Are these only offered by the cruise lines, or are there third-party suppliers who charge less? Anywhere I can find out more about this?

By the way, hello, all! This is my first post on Cruise Critic.

Edited by Judy32

Welcome!

Who you choose is up to you when booking a cruise. We may not share TA information on CC. Since you are nervous call NCL and book unless you have your own agent.

You check-in and your reservation will be there. There should not be an issue. You print your luggage tags at home. There will be someone to take your luggage including your you CAPA machine. Just make sure your machine has a tag on on the bag.

You can board around 12pm. Speak to your TA about time to board and power strip. We always bring a power strip as we have quite a few electronic that need charging - Apple folk no blowing up phones.

Yo may eat 24 hours a day. Room service has a charge except for Suite/Haven cabin. Specialty restaurants have a la carte charges by the item the "higher end' and larger cuts of steak are an extra charge. When you book tell your TA that you are vegetarian. There are plenty of choices for vegetarians at every meal and every restaurant. You won't have to eat just salads.

All staterooms have a phone. You can always leave messages for others.

Good try but no you will have to leave the ship.

Wow, quick reply. Thanks, Linda. :)

Welcome!

Who you choose is up to you when booking a cruise. We may not share TA information on CC. Since you are nervous call NCL and book unless you have your own agent....

I actually have a travel agency in mind -- I just wasn't sure if it is risky to use a travel agent at the last minute.

Good try but no you will have to leave the ship.

Oops, what I had asked here was if I could stay a little later in my cabin if I tipped the steward. Right after I posted, I realized the answer was no, so I deleted the question. I wasn't expecting such a quick reply -- I should have left the question in!

{Snipped}

My flight home will leave FLL in the afternoon. I've heard there are "post-shore" excursions one can take, rather than just sitting at the airport. Are these only offered by the cruise lines, or are there third-party suppliers who charge less? Anywhere I can find out more about this?

NCL usually offers a post cruise tour that arrives at FLL at a specific time. Check the Shorex available at Miami on the final day.

Does the ship keep track of how many meals you eat? No. I’m a vegetarian, and my DH is a steak-and-potatoes guy. If we go to, say, the steakhouse, there may only be a salad or something else very light I can eat. Can I later go to the buffet that evening if I’m still hungry, or order room service? Yes Or will that be denied because I’ve already eaten dinner? Does NCL even keep track of who is eating in the MDR They do swipe ONE room card in the MDR so they don't know who eats what.or buffet? And, is there a limit to the amount of times you can order room service, or the amount of items you can request in one order? Never used RS but I don't see there would be a limit to either. (I know about the $7.95 charge for each room service delivery.)

I’m confused by some specialty restaurants that are listed as “a la carte” in the list of restaurants but also say on their menu that they have a cover charge (and list few or no prices for individual items other than drinks.) Is there a cover charge *and* an “a la carte” fee for everything you order? Or is the cover charge all you pay for most dinners, with an extra “a la carte” item only for lobster and a few other high-end items?

In Teppanyaki and Moderno there is a cover charge. In le Bistro, la Cucina and Cagneys the charges are a la carte. We have only cruised on the smaller ships!! In the MDR there are only a very small number of a la carte items. Nothing in the buffet is charged.

Hi -

I have never seen a NCL ticket office at the port.

There are porters/baggage handlers very close to the drop off location. They will tag your bag and take care of getting them on the ship. (they expect a tip for their service).

They keep track of meals in the MDR and specialty restaurants. They do not track at the buffet at all.

During our last trip on the Escape, we dropped our carry-ons with a hostess at one of the restaurants. I'm not sure if it's always available or how secure it is. But we did it, without incident. However many people, lug there carry-ons around with them until rooms are ready.

Enjoy your cruise.

They don't keep track of how many times you eat at the MDR or the 24-hour restaurants (O'Sheehan's, Blue Lagoon, etc.). They simply swipe your room key to: 1) see if you have any dietary restrictions that the server needs to be aware of; 2) give your name to your server so that they can greet you by name.

If NCL kept track of how often we ate at restaurants, they would never let us book again. We eat in the free restaurants all day/night long, even going back separately for dessert!

Download the iConcierge app PRIOR to boarding the ship. For a set fee per device you can text others on the ship. I do not know the price right now.

You can also use it to schedule entertainment and dining.

Enjoy your cruise!

Miami is a very easy port to debarkation from. Porters can be surly but you will be dropped off right at their curb and woosh off to the ship.

There is no room service fee for continental breakfast

Edited by Annmeat

I am considering a last-minute NCL cruise (like, maybe next weekend). This will be my first time on a traditional cruise line. I have lots of questions, but most of them are quick, factual questions. So, I’m combining them into one post. If you can answer even one of the questions, please do so. Thanks in advance for your help!

Is it a problem to use a travel agent for a last-minute cruise? Is the reservation more likely to get messed up with a TA than if made directly with the cruise line? No problem, but this close to the cruise you probably won't get any perks from your TA as by now they most likely have given back their room blocks

The cruises I am considering leave from Miami. Does NCL have a ticket office at the port there, similar to the airline ticket counters at airports? (I won't try to book on the day of departure, but it would be good to speak to someone in person if I show up and there's a problem with my reservation.)

Not that I've seen or heard of. Once you have a confirmation number you are good to go.

I have heard there are porters at the Miami cruise port to help with luggage. If a taxi drops me off at the cruise port, are porters available very close to the drop-off point, similar to the “curbside skycaps” at an airport? Hmm, they are across the street or over a parking island and then across the street. You may be able to flag one over to your cab or tip the cabby extra and he/she may help you with your bags. The porters will want a tip too once they get a hold of them.

I’m considering a cruise that doesn’t embark until 7 pm. How early can I board? Generally boarding starts around 11ish, with a question further down you wanted immediate access to your room though and that generally doesn't happen until 1ish.

While flying to the port, I need to bring a CPAP and some other fragile things in my carry-on. If my room isn’t ready when I get to the ship, do I have to drag the carry-on with me to the buffet and everywhere else? Or, is there any place to store things (say, similar to a coat check room)? There may be, but I've never checked. Just board after 1pm and rooms will be open when you arrive.

I’ve heard both that a power strip will be essential (Dear Husband and I both use CPAP machines), and that power strips are forbidden. So, should I put the power strip in my carry on so it doesn’t get confiscated? (OK, maybe this one is an opinion, not factual, question!) Yes,and a make sure it is a power strip only with no surge protection. It is the surge protection that makes them a bit unsafe using ships power.

Does the ship keep track of how many meals you eat? I’m a vegetarian, and my DH is a steak-and-potatoes guy. If we go to, say, the steakhouse, there may only be a salad or something else very light I can eat. Can I later go to the buffet that evening if I’m still hungry, or order room service? Or will that be denied because I’ve already eaten dinner? Does NCL even keep track of who is eating in the MDR or buffet? And, is there a limit to the amount of times you can order room service, or the amount of items you can request in one order? (I know about the $7.95 charge for each room service delivery.) In theory for every meal you could visit every restaurant one after the other, then go back to your room and order room service.

I’m confused by some specialty restaurants that are listed as “a la carte” in the list of restaurants but also say on their menu that they have a cover charge (and list few or no prices for individual items other than drinks.) Is there a cover charge *and* an “a la carte” fee for everything you order? Or is the cover charge all you pay for most dinners, with an extra “a la carte” item only for lobster and a few other high-end items? Some are free, some have a cover and are a la carte for high-end items, some are 100% a la carte.

How do you contact other people on the ship – say, a friend who is staying on another deck, or a family member who is off getting a snack while you are in the room? Are there phones in the staterooms that can be used to phone other stateroom? What about when you are not in a stateroom – is there a way to use a cell phone to contact someone in another part of the ship, without a huge charge? Or, are you basically unable to communicate with the rest of your party when you are walking around the ship? State room phones can be used cabin to cabin for free, cabin to cell phone to incredibly high price. Cell phones can be used for huge charge, or download iConcierge app and you can text for a reasonable charge. Check your cell phone carrier also, AT&T has a plan for Royal Caribbean but not for NCL. Other carriers may have a plan for NCL ships.

My flight home will leave FLL in the afternoon. I've heard there are "post-shore" excursions one can take, rather than just sitting at the airport. Are these only offered by the cruise lines, or are there third-party suppliers who charge less? Anywhere I can find out more about this?I assume yes there are third party suppliers. I have never done this though as we generally stay a day after in a hotel when we cruise.

By the way, hello, all! This is my first post on Cruise Critic.

Hopefully those answer your questions

i've heard 9.95 up to 12.95 for the phone app so if you assume 13 you will be safe. if it's cheaper even better. also i believe its not on all ships so make sure its on yours

https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

if you do have to call shore i believe 79 cents a minute which is a lot cheaper than from state room but i've heard mixed reviews on quality. you wouldnt want to do a job interview over that phone basically :)

i've seen on a daily that calls from cabin to shore are 5/minute

Edited by luckyinpa

The cruises I am considering leave from Miami. Does NCL have a ticket office at the port there' date=' similar to the airline ticket counters at airports? (I won't try to book on the day of departure, but it would be good to speak to someone in person if I show up and there's a problem with my reservation.)

[/quote']

There isn't a ticket office, but they do have NCL people on hand to help with any issues last minute. The people checking you in are really contract employees with the port (usually), but they can help you find the right person to solve any issue.

While flying to the port' date=' I need to bring a CPAP and some other fragile things in my carry-on. If my room isn’t ready when I get to the ship, do I have to drag the carry-on with me to the buffet and everywhere else? Or, is there any place to store things (say, similar to a coat check room)?

I’ve heard both that a power strip will be essential (Dear Husband and I both use CPAP machines), and that power strips are forbidden. So, should I put the power strip in my carry on so it doesn’t get confiscated? (OK, maybe this one is an opinion, not factual, question!)

[/quote']

Typically there are not a lot of outlets near the bed. Usually there are outlets across the room at the mirror / make up desk. NCL allows regular extension cords, even multi-tap ones. They do not allow "surge protectors" .... they typically have a reset button and a light on them. If you don't have a 6' extension cord that is NOT a surge protector then go to Home Depot and buy one. It shouldn't have any lights or reset buttons. Ask for help if you need it.

NCL does not allow you to bring on water for your CPAP machine without prior arrangement (the port workers will not know it's medically necessary unless it is on your record), but if you contact the special needs department (or ask your room steward) they will provide the distilled water you need for the machines. The tap water is chlorinated so you will probably not want to use it for the machines.

My flight home will leave FLL in the afternoon. I've heard there are "post-shore" excursions one can take' date=' rather than just sitting at the airport. Are these only offered by the cruise lines, or are there third-party suppliers who charge less? Anywhere I can find out more about this?

[/quote']

One option you can use is to rent a car from National Car Rental. They have a bus that picks you up at the port and delivers you to the rental counter at Miami International. You grab the car and can then explore Miami at your leisure, with your bags safely in the trunk. We were out of the rental center at the airport at 10 AM when we did this. Check with them to make sure, but a few years ago we were able to drop the car off at FLL without any extra charge. The only caveat is that you must have the car rental reservation made in advance, and be able to show the bus driver that you have a reservation.

We did this a few years ago and had a great time driving down to the first couple islands on the highway to the Florida Keys.

You should have a blast!

Lots of great information here! Thanks so much to everyone who answered my questions! :)

I never would have figured out the "power strip" question on my own. So, multi-outlet extension cords are allowed, surge protectors are not. Got it!

Everglades Air Boat and Gator Park excursion post cruise!!! I cannot recommend this highly enough, I've done it on both my Miami cruises. You get bus transport from the port to the Air Boats and bus to FLL or MIA in your excursion fee. Plus you can leave your stuff on the bus so you don't have to worry about what to do with it. Your flight needs to leave after 3 p.m. for this to be available to you.

I haven't seen any third party post cruise offerings, but have a look on trip advisor and see what is reviewed over there.

Carry your cpap machine on board with the rest of your carryons -the same as if you were on a flight -you can have a power strip --as long as it is not a surge protector -I do bring an extension cord as my cabin on the breakaway last year did not have electrical outlets by the bed ( cpap user 2[emoji41] )-have a great time -

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to clarify, room service continental breakfast is free but only until 10:30 a.m. There's no limit on how many times you order room service or how much you order at one time. It's customary, but not mandatory, to tip the person who delivers room service, so you may want to bring some $1s with you. I just booked last minute also, and I opted for booking directly with NCL and I'm glad I did. We often get to the port around 11. I love all the vegan options. If you do a search on Goggle for menus NCL you'll have a better idea of some of the choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums