Accident on Harmony

Sirkeline

Capt has just notified all passengers. One fatality 4 in hospital with none life threatening injuries. We are not sailing tonight and he can't say when. In hands of local authorities.

Thoughts with crew members family. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. Good to hear the 4 are out of danger as the news here says 2 were fighting for there lives.

Hope you can sail soon

From UK's Daily Maid news, prayers & thoughts and RIP for the deceased crew member.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3787099/One-person-killed-four-injured-lifeboat-detaches-world-s-biggest-cruise-liner.html

Recently, NCL's Breakaway had a similar accident involving crew members while docked in Bermuda. Results of the investigation pending & yet released.

I'll take your word on that, but im wondering if it was the first time that particular life boat was used, either in the drill or other reason.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Even though SOLAS only requires monthly drills, most of the lines do weekly drills. Whether or not it was the first time using the boat, unfortunately wire rope is always a dangerous thing in a marine environment. It may look fine from the outside, but have corroded inside, which is why SOLAS requires that they be renewed every 5 years, regardless of visible condition.

Even though SOLAS only requires monthly drills, most of the lines do weekly drills. Whether or not it was the first time using the boat, unfortunately wire rope is always a dangerous thing in a marine environment. It may look fine from the outside, but have corroded inside, which is why SOLAS requires that they be renewed every 5 years, regardless of visible condition.

Good information that seems to make sense, I'm only speculating as I doubt we will ever hear the cause unless someone posts a public report. Seems early for that kind of failure, but given that they intentionally rotate which lifeboat they use so that they are all tested perdiodically, its in reasonable speculation to wonder if this is the first time this vessel has been lowered since Royal took possession. That would lean toward, but not conclude a mechanical defect. Time might tell.

there is an existing thread on this Patti :(
Ok....no excuse for you. You have been here for a gazillion years and should know better. There are at LEAST 6 other threads on this. :D

I do apologize. :o I haven't been on my computer until I posted that at 1:30. I did look, but unfortunately didn't see the other 6. Hopefully the moderators will combine this with another one.

When I was on Harmony back in August, we were stuck in Mallorca for quite a few hours because there were some mechanical issues with the life boats and the engineers were investigating to fix the issue and ensure everything was OK. Regardless, this is just so incredibly sad.

Tonight's fine line show the cast dedicated to their fallen crew mate.

Crew showing great resolve and courage although some of the fellow guests I'm ashamed of as all they were concerned about was refunds for missing port excursions tomorrow! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, next for them will be compensation.

Good for the crew. Nice touch.

So sad, so sorry for all involved. When we were on Allure in Nassau this past January, we watched this exercise and thought that RCCL should offer this as a paid itinerary. We would have gone as we didn't get off the ship that first day. Guess that will never be happening now. Again, so very sad.