Is it possible to upgrade after Final Payment?

zaknzoey

If there are price drops AFTER final payment, and you see, for example, that a balcony cabin is now only $50 pp higher than you paid for an Ocean View, can you call and pay the difference and upgrade to the balcony?

Or is that considered a new reservation? :confused::(

Thanks CC!!!

You might, but it depends on if you are willing to exchange the promotion of your existing booking with the promotion associated with the one you are considering.

Read the following recent thread of another's frustration in a similar situation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401516

Once you are after final payment, modifying your booking can be disappointing if you don't understand the terms of your original reservation and those associated with the current pricing.

Contact NCL and ask specific questions regarding what will change to get the lower fare and request they provide the answers in writing before you make the change. Good luck!

Once you are after final payment, modifying your booking can be disappointing if you don't understand the terms of your original reservation and those associated with the current pricing.

And the terms of the cancellation policy. According to recent reports, NCL is currently waiving cancellation fees for upgrade requests after final payment, but it is not an entitlement. NCL is under no obligation to do this, and at any moment they could decide to apply the cancellation policy strictly.

I don't believe the situation the OP describes would be handled as a cancel/rebook. It never was when we have upgraded ourselves after final payment in the past. We always retained the same booking number and perks we had when we booked originally. If there was a price drop and you were wanting to simply get the lower fare, that is an entirely different situation. That definately would require a cancel/rebook to current rate and promo.

I agree with you that the current (unstated) policy seems to be that paid upgrades after final payment are not cancellations/rebookings. I'm just saying that this has not always been the case in the past, and that NCL could switch back at any time and with no warning to a strict interpretation of their published cancellation policy. Since the OP is asking hypothetically about a situation that might come up far in the future, I think they should know this.

I disagree that paid category upgrades and price drops within the same category after final payment are entirely different situations. In both cases, people are trying to take advantage of last-minute pricing that was not available when they were still outside of the cancellation penalty phase. In both cases, allowing already booked customers to modify their bookings to their own advantage undermines the whole point of having a cancellation policy, and the whole point of last-minute pricing (which is to get new customers onto the ship).

I agree with you that the current (unstated) policy seems to be that paid upgrades after final payment are not cancellations/rebookings. I'm just saying that this has not always been the case in the past, and that NCL could switch back at any time and with no warning to a strict interpretation of their published cancellation policy. Since the OP is asking hypothetically about a situation that might come up far in the future, I think they should know this.

I disagree that paid category upgrades and price drops within the same category after final payment are entirely different situations. In both cases, people are trying to take advantage of last-minute pricing that was not available when they were still outside of the cancellation penalty phase. In both cases, allowing already booked customers to modify their bookings to their own advantage undermines the whole point of having a cancellation policy, and the whole point of last-minute pricing (which is to get new customers onto the ship).

Yes, I agree, NCL 'can' change any policy at any time. Goes without saying. But the OP should also know that the answer to his hypothetical question is that current experience shows that NCL will allow a passenger to upgrade or upsell themselves with no penalty after final payment. Apparently this has been their policy for at least a few years and maybe much longer.

And let's not forget that not only is this an advantage to the passenger, it is also probably an advantage for NCL, (which is probably why they allow it ) who extracts additional cruise fare from the original passenger and then is able to resell that lower category cabin, likely more easily than the one upgraded to. Those higher priced cabins are harder to sell, which is why they love it when I upsell/upgrade from a balcony to a suite, or an inside to a balcony. Those suites are harder to sell, which is why they dropped the price in the first place, and they are much more likely to sell the balcony I vacated.

If OP finds himself in this situation after final, obviously he should call NCL, ask the questions and consider all the angles before making the move.

Edited by punkincc

Just did this last week. I made my final payment a few weeks ago on my balcony cabin and now prices have dropped and a mini suite is $50 less than what I paid for my balcony. I called NCL and asked to upgrade at no charge and after being on hold for about 5 minutes, she came back and said yes.

I specifically asked about keeping my promos and there was no problem with that either.

The only thing I didn't like was that she picked the cabin for me and I already had one picked out that I wanted.(this was NOT a guarantee price)

When I told her I wanted another cabin she pretty much said too bad.

And let's not forget that not only is this an advantage to the passenger, it is also probably an advantage for NCL, (which is probably why they allow it ) who extracts additional cruise fare from the original passenger and then is able to resell that lower category cabin, likely more easily than the one upgraded to.

It's a guaranteed advantage to the customer; it may or may not be good for NCL. They could just as easily lose money by letting you upgrade, for example when they have to sell your vacated cabin for much less than what you paid for it. In other words, in order to sell one leftover cabin, they end up dumping two cabins at a deep discount. That makes no sense financially for NCL.

Yes, there are other situations where it's a good idea for NCL to let you upgrade. Each sailing and each person's case is a little bit different, and it would make sense for them to look at upgrade requests on a case by case basis. But they don't seem to do this; they seem to just let everyone upgrade. That's good news for passengers, but I don't think you can pat yourself on the back like you're doing them some kind of favor.

I was able to upgrade from an aft balcony to a suite and just pay the difference. Suite price had dropped dramatically to just over $200 more than the aft balcony. I also got the upgraded suite perks. Getting the upgrade for nothing might be a different story.

Keep your eyes open for price drops.

They could move me to a mid ship mini suite and add on a promo....we selected the UBP, mainly for him since I don't drink. The rep said the total would be $512. Ummm.... no. The price difference for the room change was $40 before adding the UBP gratuities on. What the hell happened?

You both have to have the UBP and so both of you have to pay the 18% service charge.

It's a guaranteed advantage to the customer; it may or may not be good for NCL. They could just as easily lose money by letting you upgrade, for example when they have to sell your vacated cabin for much less than what you paid for it. In other words, in order to sell one leftover cabin, they end up dumping two cabins at a deep discount. That makes no sense financially for NCL.

Yes, there are other situations where it's a good idea for NCL to let you upgrade. Each sailing and each person's case is a little bit different, and it would make sense for them to look at upgrade requests on a case by case basis. But they don't seem to do this; they seem to just let everyone upgrade. That's good news for passengers, but I don't think you can pat yourself on the back like you're doing them some kind of favor.

I have to assume that NCL knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to cabin pricing, upgrades and upsells. They have been in this business for a long time, and I'm sure they have this down to a science. They certainly don't need me to look out for them. I would never feel like I was doing them a favor, but neither would I feel like I am taking advantage. No one is coercing them to allow these upsells, and I have to believe that if they did not get some benefit from them, they certainly would not do it. If you look at all the changes NCL has made over the last several months, all of them directly related to revenue enhancement, it is clear that they will do what they need to.

Just did this last week. I made my final payment a few weeks ago on my balcony cabin and now prices have dropped and a mini suite is $50 less than what I paid for my balcony. I called NCL and asked to upgrade at no charge and after being on hold for about 5 minutes, she came back and said yes.

I specifically asked about keeping my promos and there was no problem with that either.

The only thing I didn't like was that she picked the cabin for me and I already had one picked out that I wanted.(this was NOT a guarantee price)

When I told her I wanted another cabin she pretty much said too bad.

You did very well, getting upgraded at no cost. Apparently their condition for the upgrade required they assign you a cabin. I hope they didn't give you an awful location!

You did very well, getting upgraded at no cost. Apparently their condition for the upgrade required they assign you a cabin. I hope they didn't give you an awful location!

I would say that, like the Guarantee system, upgrades are to cabins that have not sold for some reason. The most likely reason is that people don't like them, TA's don't like them and NCL knows they might have a problem so don't fill them first.

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I can see a glimmer of hope that a paid upgrade, after final payment, could happen. I am currently in an OV, but would definitely be looking to upgrade to balcony, Mini, or full suite!

Checking prices everyday! :p

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I can see a glimmer of hope that a paid upgrade, after final payment, could happen. I am currently in an OV, but would definitely be looking to upgrade to balcony, Mini, or full suite!

Checking prices everyday! :p

Please let us know how you make out.

April 17 on BREAKAWAY upgraded from deck 5 oceanview to deck 12 mid ship balcony for $54 then on April 13 Upsell department upgrade to H4 2 bedroom villa for $2000 more 1000 each worth every penny. For $1000 more could have had H1 owners suite but I waited too long and it was gone. Also my promotion never changed and my reservations all carried over! It depends on supply and demand = deals if there are empty cabins.