Anyone Ever NOT Gotten Seasick The First Cruises, Then Did On Another?

NewAddict

We were on our 4th cruise with no problems before. On this cruise, our cabin's bed was sideways -- foot toward the balcony and head toward the hall.

Wife woke up the second day and had to go to medical to get some 'sea sick' pills. Slept off and on the rest of the day.

Third day on, no problems. And no problems on the last 25 cruises. (On all, the beds were parallel to the balcony.) We still pack Meclizine just in case. :)

Aside from cruising through a storm or rough seas... Anyone ever been through a whole cruise or cruises without getting seasick, then got seasick on another cruise?

My daughter has been on 8-10 cruises. She is in college and a few cruises ago she had a paper due while we were on the ship. She spent the day in our balcony cabin on the computer and she was sick for about 30 hours. One of our cruises was even during a hurricane and we did not get sick. I think it was just being stuck in the room all day. As for me...I have cruised 16 times and I have never been sick until cruise 15 when we were in our first inside cabin. I had to leave the cabin many times while getting ready to get some air. However, cruise 16 we also had an inside and I was fine. Every once in a while we would run up for a minute to make sure we weren't sick.

My first was 12 years ago but I don't recall feeling anything at all. I do recall feeling impressed because I get motion sickness easily from all forms of transportation.

My second I got so seasick one night I made a ship to shore call to my mom while lying face down on the desk trying to convince her that sending a helicopter for me was feasible. Granted, we were speeding out of a hurricane situation so I wasn't alone. I was better the next day.

In 4 subsequent cruises I've had several moments of "whoa there I think we just hit a tsunami..." where the motion makes me briefly dizzy & disoriented, but my 2nd cruise remains the only time I've not managed to keep dinner where it belonged. I'm sensitive to the motion but fortunately not quick to illness.

I have never felt sick to my stomach, but I do occasionally feel light headed and sleepy the first day. Last time we cruised for 14 days and I didn't have any problems. I usually take one ginger capsule per day starting at lunch when we get on board, and continue for the rest of the trip. Motion sickness meds don't really work once you get sick

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After more than a dozen cruises without ever experiencing being seasick, I got very overheated during the muster drill. We hadn't even left the port. Once we left the muster drill, I was barely able to make it to a restroom. I'm sure the heat and being packed in with so many people and no breeze didn't help, but we were STILL DOCKED. I was dizzy and nauseous and had a slight headache but no more throwing up. I missed dinner the first night, which I had never had happen before. I took a Bonine, which my daughter takes because she has felt seasick before. I fell asleep and by morning I was fine. I now take the Bonine, starting the night before the cruise. I no longer take any chances.

My DW got sick on our first cruise (1200 passenger NCL Crown) and I felt a little queasy on the last day. I attribute it to rough seas and very small ship. However we take Bonine before we board and each day since then and have had no issues... Knock on wood we leave in 8 days for our next.

Happy Cruising

Our first ten cruises, from 7 to 34 days, Caribbean, Med, transatlantic ... different weather patterns, some rough seas here & there ... I had no problems.

Next cruise ... 74 days Grand Asia & Australia ... woke up on the second morning out of Seattle crossing the Pacific ... I was horribly seasick for the first time ever. I had always sailed with ginger tablets but they didn't even begin to touch it. Mr. Chew went to the Med Center to get some pills, and found out that dozens of people were seasick everywhere, including crew, and they were handing out the pills like candy. Apparently it had something to do with the motion of the ship on the long swells from side to side ... Fortunately one dose of the meds and sleeping most of the rest of the day took care of the problem and I had no further seasickness ...

They had given Mr. Chew about a dozen of the pill packets, and I carried them with us for a few years until they reached their expiration dates.

That was in 2012 ... this winter, 11 cruises later, the same thing happened while we were on the Zuiderdam on our way to the Panama Canal. No idea why this time, but Mr. Chew went back downstairs and one dose of the meds was again enough to cure my seasickness.

I hope it will be another 10 or 11 cruises before I have another bout!

Edited by Lady Chew

I could completely see the 1st being OK and 2nd a sick situation if the first cruise was on calm Inside Passage Alaska and the next a Transatlantic. Actually that's how we started cruising but neither of us have gotten sick so we seem to have put that issue to rest (insert wood knocking sound here). Actually we've both been a lot more affected after the cruise when we were back on land from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome.