Have only sailed NCL, considering Carnival or Celebrity,with kids?

a2stylist

I'm looking for opinions. We've only cruised twice and only as a couple on the NCL breakaway out of NYC.

We are looking at cruises out of Baltimore(Carnival Pride) or out of Miami(Celebrity Reflection) over spring break with our girls (13&9)

I'm nervous with it being their first cruise and also a new to us ship.. We could take the NCL Breakaway that week too but the other have better choices for rooms etc.

Can anyone experienced help me?

Thanks!

Amy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Amy. This is a tough one! I have been on the Breakaway and we loved it too. The Pride is a great ship and we enjoyed it, but keep in mind that it is a much older and smaller ship than the Breakaway. Carnival does however, gear towards families and I think your kids should like it.

On Celebrity, the Reflection is a much newer ship and I would say the demographics is a more mature crowd, but you are going on spring break and I am sure there will be tons of kids. We love the service and food on Celebrity a lot!!! It is also about the same size as the Breakaway. Either way, I think you will be fine.

Edited by champagne123
ggggg

Hi Amy. This is a tough one! I have been on the Breakaway and we loved it too. The Pride is a great ship and we enjoyed it, but keep in mind that it is a much older and smaller ship than the Breakaway. Carnival does however, gear towards families and I think your kids should like it.

On Celebrity, the Reflection is a much newer ship and I would say the demographics is a more mature crowd, but you are going on spring break and I am sure there will be tons of kids. We love the service and food on Celebrity a lot!!! It is also about the same size as the Breakaway. Either way, I think you will be fine.

Thank you

We had a great time on the Pride and overall I thought it compared favorably with the Gem even if it is a little older. Won't have all the bells and whistles of the BA of course but it is much easier to get around and see everything.

Thank you! Weve been told the rooms are bigger than NCL so that's a plus!

How is the dress code for dinner? I liked that about the breakaway, we could dress in a sundress or skirt and no hauling fancy clothes!

Thank you! Weve been told the rooms are bigger than NCL so that's a plus!

How is the dress code for dinner? I liked that about the breakaway, we could dress in a sundress or skirt and no hauling fancy clothes!

The dress codes on both lines are very similar. CCL does have elegant nights where you have the opportunity to dress up if you want to (for pictures, etc.) but if you are dressed cruise casual you'll fit in. We did find the rooms to be a bit bigger on CCL. We are looking at booking for 2/18 and the Pride is $1300 less than the BA so for us that's a no brainer.:)

Definitely Carnival with kids!!! There are always lots of kids on Carnival but with their kid's program you hardly ever see them. Carnival also has baby sitting from 9 or 10 pm until 3AM- but you have to pay for that. They are known for the fantastic kid's club!

Carnival no longer has a true formal night. It is now called 'cruse elegant' night so not everyone is really dressed up, not as many tuxes. Some don't dress up at all, don't have to on Carnival now- have even seen shorts on that night.

When we were on Celebrity we didn't think they had a kid's program or if they do there are not a lot of kids on Celebrity. And Celebrity is a lot more formal than Carnival. A friend on his 1st cruise on Celebrity was turned away from the dining room because he wasn't wearing a jacket! (He went and put one on.)

Ask here about programs for kids on Carnival and Celebrity and see the difference.

Edited by Bonnie J.