Ferry over to Playa del Carmen - what to do?

CruzieSue

Considering taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, just for something different to do (May 2017). Without reserving a specific excursion in advance, and not looking for a day at the beach, what is there to do in that area that might be interesting? your favorite place to spend time? or just not worth the bother? Our group consists of 3 adults and one 17 yr old. (P.S. I have looked at the Playa del Carmen threads, and I know about the rough waters crossing over)

Edited by CruzieSue

Don't get me wrong, I like Playa, it's shops, its' restaurants, its bars. There nice beaches north and south--look up the sea turtle snorkeling excursions. Good area to stay if on a mainland vacay. But to take a ferry there just to go to Playa for a few hours, I'm not sure you'll see anything truly unique or different than what you'll find on Cozumel. Shops are similar, restaurants have similar food, bars similar drinks. I think it's the ferry ride over and back that makes it something different to do. if you've never been, might be worth doing to say you were there.

Considering taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, just for something different to do (May 2017). Without reserving a specific excursion in advance, and not looking for a day at the beach, what is there to do in that area that might be interesting? your favorite place to spend time? or just not worth the bother? Our group consists of 3 adults and one 17 yr old. (P.S. I have looked at the Playa del Carmen threads, and I know about the rough waters crossing over)

It's not really worth it. Mainly a lot of shops selling the same stuff you can buy in Cozumel. I took a trip there from an all inclusive on the mainland, they had a shuttle, and the shop at the resort had the same goods for less than in Playa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do an excursion! There are lots of cool things to do over on the Mainland, but doing an excursion through your ship is the best way.

1. Ships will have a ferry meet at your pier to pick you up, take you over, then bring you back to the ship afterwards. If you do it on your own, you have to go into town and ride the regular ferry which only runs every hour, and sometimes skips an hour, so your day could be ruined.

2. Sometimes the seas can be bouncy, all the way over and back. I have done the ferry numerous times and only once have I seen a person get sick. The rumors of everyone barfing are greatly exaggerated.

3. Cozumel is all about beaches, scuba, snorkeling, and shopping. Playa has cenotes, ruins, and jungle adventures. Both are great, pick what suits YOU.

There actually are different restaurants in Playa though that we're looking at doing. Is it really that difficult/long to get over there?

You can do it but keep in mind its a 45 minute ride each way. The ferry runs hourly. Don't forget unless your ship is docked at the downtown dock, you will have to take a taxi to the ferry dock and back to your ship dock. When you get to Playa, it is not a small town. It is a city. The main street Fifth Avenue runs for many blocks and is packed full of tourists from the Rivera Maya resorts. Playa is all tourist activity. The shops and restaurants are all tourist facilities. Every where they will be pleading with you to enter their shop or restaurant. It is not authentic Mexico if that is what you are thinking. There is nothing special there but hey if you want to see for yourself, go for it....

Edited by Charles4515

Do an excursion! There are lots of cool things to do over on the Mainland, but doing an excursion through your ship is the best way. ... Playa has cenotes, ruins, and jungle adventures. Both are great, pick what suits YOU.

What are some things or excursions you have done and enjoyed? My group is not too big into ruins but the cenotes and jungle might be interesting. We like to experience the land, water and culture of different ports more than shopping, bar hopping, beach days etc.

What are some things or excursions you have done and enjoyed? My group is not too big into ruins but the cenotes and jungle might be interesting. We like to experience the land, water and culture of different ports more than shopping, bar hopping, beach days etc.

If you are interested in the cenotes, I highly recommend the Underground River & 5th Ave shopping excursions....

My video:

they give you life vests to wear, so you don't have to be a good swimmer, but you are in the dark much of the time, in water over your head at times, and need to be able to hold a flashlight and tread water. We loved it, very cool and though the water was chilly, your body got used to it pretty quickly. Guide was fantastic, too. Shopping afterwards in PDC was only about an hour. Then we took ferry back over to our ship. All DAY tour.

• 3 weeks later...