Hobart and Adelaide - starboard or port side

Miamia65

We're on the same Ovation cruise. We are in Hobart Saturday and part of Sunday.

We'll be heading to the Salamanca Markets on the Saturday - great food, products and atmosphere. Walking distance from the ship.

We have previously really enjoyed the ship's tour to the Salmon Ponds and Mt.Field National Park. A trip up to Mt Wellington is spectacular but take a jacket.

My sister really enjoyed Port Arthur (long day) but shorter visits to Botanical Gardens, Richmond and the wildlife park have also been really good days. Been to Tassie a few times - love it.

In Adelaide the train station to the city is opposite the cruise terminal.

There is a Haigh's shop at the corner near the Rundle St. Mall. The factory is on the city outskirts but they have some factory seconds there - yum.

We loved the Adelaide zoo (pandas), Hahndorf, Barossa and Glenelg.

Walking around the port historic area is also nice, quirky shops, cafes etc.

We are cruising to Hobart in October and arrive on a Saturday. I want to visit the Salamanca markets, can anyone tell me if the Hop on, Hop off bus goes there? Any other suggestions for our day in Hobart would be greatly appreciated. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is a very easy walk to the markets from the cruise dock.

We are cruising to Hobart in October and arrive on a Saturday. I want to visit the Salamanca markets, can anyone tell me if the Hop on, Hop off bus goes there? Any other suggestions for our day in Hobart would be greatly appreciated. [emoji3]

It is a very easy walk to the markets from the cruise dock.

Last time I was there, I wasn't up to the walk, but it was under $10 (Mrs a Gut thinks under $5) for a taxi, that was two years ago.

Thanks for all the great ideas, I've always wanted to go to the Salamanca markets ... If we purchase food can we take it back on the ship?

Also if we buy wine from the Barossa and because we are only visiting Australian ports is the wine classified as duty free and therefore limited when we arrive back in Sydney ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old penitentiary (The Tench) is supposed to be very good. Walking distance from the dock, too. We will be there in November on the Maasdam.

Enjoy your cruise!

Susan

The old penitentiary (The Tench) is supposed to be very good. Walking distance from the dock, too. We will be there in November on the Maasdam.

Enjoy your cruise!

Susan

Thanks Susan, we will certainly check it out [emoji3]