Hobart and Adelaide - starboard or port side

Miamia65

I dont think it really matters. You can plan to be on one side and then the Captain decides or is directed to "park" the other way.

Adelaide the ship enters the Outer Harbour and then usually turns to dock with the port side to the terminal.It can then head staight out on leaving.

Hobart - Usually the ship will head in bow first, and dock with the starboard side to the wharf, and then back out.

Agree. Doesn't matter. I would recommend being out on a high, open deck. You know you aren't locked in your cabin, right?

Even if you were locked in your cabin, you would see one side sailing in, and the other sailing out.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree. Doesn't matter. I would recommend being out on a high, open deck. You know you aren't locked in your cabin, right?

Even if you were locked in your cabin, you would see one side sailing in, and the other sailing out.

"

Unless one was locked in an interior cabin.;)

As Kiwi Kruzer says, in Hobart it is often Stdb side to dock.

Therefore, if I had a balcony and a chioce I would pick port side of the ship for Hobart.

Hobart harbour can be busy with all sorts of small vessels, as well as float planes landing and taking off right by the ship.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Thanks for the responses and the laughs, based on availability of cabins (I am booking 2 cabins and because we are doing B2B - this cruise and the 3 nighter straight after) I ended up booking starboard side.

I agree that we can be on any open deck but when the ship comes into the port early in the morning I like to get out on the balcony with my PJs/robe on and a cuppa.

Any tips on what to do in Hobart and Adelaide very welcome. I have only been to Hobart and Adelaide once separate work trips (overnight) so haven't seen much other than the airport and CBD.

The 3 night cruise to nowhere is just for fun!!!

In Hobart we did the hop on hop off bus with Cascade brewery tour added on. Fascinating tour and sample beers were included, as were Cascade soft drinks for those who do not drink. Had lunch in the brewerey restaurant which was very pleasant. You can book this online but the numbers for the brewery are limited so get in early.

It so depends on what you like and what day you are there.

Adelaide

Barossa Valley

Tram to Glenelg

A trip to the Markets

Hobart

Port Arthur and Wildlife reserve(too much in one day if you ask me, but if your not docking at Port Arthur and your only visit well worth it)

If Saturday Salamanca Markets

Mt Wellington

Trip to Ross and Richmond (could probably include Mt Wellington too)

A visit to MONA

A walk through historic Battery Point area

Just a few suggestions.

In Adelaide, I recommend a visit to Haighs chocolates. There are 2 stores in the city but just on the edge of the city is the factory where you can do a free tour (need to pre book) as well as taste and purchase - they are very generous with their samples :) a bit pricey but they are worth every cent!

http://www.haighschocolates.com.au/faqs/visitor-centre-tours/#faq-1

you will be able to catch a train into the city from Outer Harbour and then a quick cab ride to Parkside to Haighs

In Adelaide, I recommend a visit to Haighs chocolates. There are 2 stores in the city but just on the edge of the city is the factory where you can do a free tour (need to pre book) as well as taste and purchase - they are very generous with their samples :) a bit pricey but they are worth every cent!

http://www.haighschocolates.com.au/faqs/visitor-centre-tours/#faq-1

you will be able to catch a train into the city from Outer Harbour and then a quick cab ride to Parkside to Haighs

Hairs are in a lot of cities here now.

We are cruising to Hobart in October and arrive on a Saturday. I want to visit the Salamanca markets, can anyone tell me if the Hop on, Hop off bus goes there? Any other suggestions for our day in Hobart would be greatly appreciated. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app