Have you been in Venice in early November?

anteaters

Hi! We will be spending two pre-cruise overnights in Venice in early November. I would be very interested to hear others' experiences, especially anything involving getting from the airport to the hotel and later from hotel (ours is near the Piazzale Roma) to the cruise port (we're on Princess) if the weather was cold/rainy....We will each have a big suitcase to pull and there's no way to avoid that. When we booked this cruise, we definitely wanted to spend at least a little time in Venice once again but we hadn't considered the possibility of rain/possible flooding for the above situations or even for general exploration for our day and a half of actual touristing before boarding the ship. We also hadn't realized that Venice is a city where there's no way to go from airport to hotel and hotel to airport without some walking/pulling luggage (we do only have one small bridge to walk over but there will still be a walk.) So, any tips you could provide or just information about your experiences in early November would be appreciated. Thanks!

One of our first trips into Venice was taking a train from Rome so I can't help you with airport info. We stayed for a night on the Grand Canal before walking to where we boarded the ship which took us back to Rome. That was when we were young and dumb and had so much luggage with us, making that walk more difficult but not too far. With only a wheeled piece each you should be one to walk.

A week later when we returned to the city on a Trafalgar tour , the Shirocco (sp?) winds from Africa created a lot of flooding in the city. So much so that St Mark's Square had scaffolding for people to walk on since the water was thigh deep. And the stench from raw sewerage was horrible. I refused to walk around so I went back to our hotel in Mastere. We have been back in the same time frame years later with no problems. I hope that your experience is the better of the two.

Hi

Cruised from Venice last year early November. I cannot remember the exact date. It was really warm on the day and sunny too. We returned after some very warm days all over the eastern Med to much cooler weather on 16/11. We stayed three days post cruise at the Hilton.

It was not freezing and there was a little drizzle at times. You needed a jacket or coat though.

I packed for cooler weather and only needed my warm clothes back in Venice. I was longing for sandles in Malta. It was 25 degrees Celsius and the sun shone all day.

Have a great cruise. We're doing 8d Western Med on the Costa Fascinosa and I cannot wait.

Regards

Sorry, did not give any info re airports.

There are 2 airports so it depends which one you're going to. Marco Polo is closer to Venice I think than Treviso.

The first time we went to Venice we flew into Marco Polo and got a "bus boat" to St.Marks. It was an absolute pain. Jam packed and VERY slow. It was full of locals and stopped many times. It was cheap though.We took a water taxi back which was great fune but it cost an arm and a leg. This was years ago and I think we pain 130 euros.

We tend to fly to Treviso because we use Ryanair from Stansted which is 40minutes from out house. Then there is a reasonably priced coach that drops you off on Piazzale Roma. You get get off the stop before if you goo directly to the port.

Hope this helps.

I somehow did not manage to post my further info.

There are 2 airports near Venice, Treviso and Marco Polo. It depends which one you go to for further transport into Venice.

From Marco Polo we used a "waterbus". It was a long time ago. It was cheap but crowded and uncomfortable and very slow. It stopped at many of the islands in the lagoon. On our return we used a water taxi which cost and arm and a leg. 130 euros if I recall. It was fun though and very fast.

If you fly into Treviso there is a very reasonable coach which stops at Piazzale Roma.There is no train connection from Treviso.

Depending how far your hotel is from P.Roma it might not be too bad dragging the cases. The only problem would be if you have to cross any canals. That will mean carrying the cases up on one side of a bridge and down on the other. If there is a waterbus stop close to your hotel you might just as well get a pass for a few days and get on one of them and get off close to the hotel.

Hi! We will be spending two pre-cruise overnights in Venice in early November. I would be very interested to hear others' experiences, especially anything involving getting from the airport to the hotel and later from hotel (ours is near the Piazzale Roma) to the cruise port (we're on Princess) if the weather was cold/rainy

If your hotel is near Piazzale Roma it makes no sense to take a boat from the airport, either a taxi or the express bus is the better route. Yes, you will still have a short walk but the area around Piazzale Roma is newer and higher, even in heavy rain it does not flood like San Marco.

My first trip to Venice was the first week of November several years ago. I'd been in Rome for a month prior where it had been sunny and hot (unusually so that year) and the change to Venice was startling as it was full on fall. We did have some rain and flooding that year but it was only one day and they are prepared for it, the water doesn't really impede anything.

Bus from the airport info: http://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_dal_1.05.2016_al_29.10.2016.pdf

I've spent a long weekend in Venice one January. Rain and cold. Did not "dampen" my experience. My hotel was one that needed dragging my roller bag across lots of cobblestone and a few bridges. I always carry a garbage bag to put over my bag when I travel (unless it has it's own rain bag - some of my Osprey bags have that). I mean, it's not like I'm going to be walking hours in a deluge with the bags - a garbage bag (and a little Scotchguarding the exterior fabric) is more than enough and my items have never gotten wet. Came to Venice via train. Walked down to the canal front from the station and hopped on a water bus. I bring appropriate rain gear so I will go about my wanderings without a care.

Edited by slidergirl

It would be helpful if the OP would tell us the name of their hotel :).

Hank

I'm sorry! We will be at the Hotel Arlecchino (next to the Best Western Olimpia which is said to be its nicer sister hotel) and is supposed to be convenient to both the cruise terminal and the Piazza Roma (still some walking but only crossing one small bridge.) Thanks those of you who have already written for your info! DH and I do appreciate all we can learn--to me it is also part of the fun and excitement of the cruise.

I'm sorry! We will be at the Hotel Arlecchino (next to the Best Western Olimpia which is said to be its nicer sister hotel) and is supposed to be convenient to both the cruise terminal and the Piazza Roma (still some walking but only crossing one small bridge.) Thanks those of you who have already written for your info! DH and I do appreciate all we can learn--to me it is also part of the fun and excitement of the cruise.

In that case, we would take the ATVO (Express) bus from the airport to the P. Roma and walk. Choosing a hotel at or near the P. Roma is a wise choice for most cruisers, so you have done well.

Hank:)

Agree with Hank ; the ATVO airport express bus is a convenient option for you. For most of the day buses leave every 20 minutes, 8e pp, for the 15-20 minute ride.

You board the bus just outside the main doors of the airport. The blue greyhound-style buses are hard to miss.

You'll be dropped at Piazzale Roma, which is basically a large parking lot. Once you know where to look, you can even see the Arlecchino from PRoma! Just walk towards the trees then take a right. You see the Olimpia first.its maybe the equivalent of 2 blocks.

The People Mover ( monorail) to the pier is also accessed at PRoma.

This link provides walking directions, and a map showing the location of the hotel, bus drop off, and people mover.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/arlecchino.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for all the info that has been coming. When I first wrote, I pictured my DH and me holding up our umbrella in one hand, lugging our one big suitcase each in the other, and walking down flooded streets to our hotel after getting off the bus. But I'm feeling much more confident now that all will be fine and quite an adventure. But I'm still hoping for a no-rain arrival day ;) .