Not getting back on the ship for a day?

mfinley919

Is it possible to get off a cruise ship in the middle of a cruise on purpose?

Specifically we are booked on a cruise through the med, we have a port stop at Monte Carlo on one day and St Tropez the next day, the wife wants to get off at Monte Carlo, rent a car and go up to some wine country, spend the night, then catch the ship at St. Tropez the next day. My gut tells me the cruise lines probably would frown on this. We are sailing on Holland American if that matters.

You do need to check with the cruise line.

I can tell you that this is done inside the Schengen Zone. (Passengers disembarking in France instead of staying on the ship back to Amsterdam.) The potential hitch is that Monaco is not a Schengen country - it does have an open border with France, but I don't know if you need a separate visa. That is the specific question you will need to have answered by both the cruise line and the government of Monaco.

You absolutely do not need a visa for Monaco if you travel on an American passport. And even if travel on a passport that should need a visa and you're in the Schengen zone and thus have entered France, you'll be free to go in and out of Monaco as you please as both countries have an open border agreement (pretty much the same as the Schengen agreement).

Not sure what HAL's policy is on this, so your best shot is to contact them directly through their website or call them.

Specifically we are booked on a cruise through the med, we have a port stop at Monte Carlo on one day and St Tropez the next day, the wife wants to get off at Monte Carlo, rent a car and go up to some wine country, spend the night, then catch the ship at St. Tropez the next day. My gut tells me the cruise lines probably would frown on this. We are sailing on Holland American if that matters.

Hello,

We have requested this (different Med ports) on HAL. As stated above, it must be requested through the Cruise Line. If you booked thru a Travel Agent, the request to HAL must go thru the Agent.

HAL will then determine if it is doable, the request will take up to 72 business hours to be reviewed.

If you have questions, I was given the number 877-724-5425 to contact.

Once reviewed and a determination made, you (or your Agent) will receive a letter from HAL reference your request, explaining liabilities, responsibilities etc.

Hope this helps.

BBL

I can confirm that France/Monte Carlo is an open border.

And normally no problem taking a rented car across, but beware if there's a charge for dropping it in a "different country" :confused: - something I've not done there.

Not so sure it even needs actual permission from the cruise line (though best to seek it), but certainly the ship will need to know that you don't plan to re-board in Monte Carlo.

One thing to be wary of - what happens if the ship doesn't make port in St Tropez? :eek:

Weather, mechanical issues, industrial action.

You need a Plan B in case you have to catch up with the ship at the next port - where's that next port?

if it's Marseilles it's easy, if it's Barcelona or Livorno it'll be expensive, if it's Florida that's a very long swim. ;)

Low risk, but potentially significant consequences.

JB :)

We took a couple of days off the ship in India, to go to the Taj Mahal.

Yes, contact the cruise line and get it confirmed in writing that you have permission to spend a day and a night off the ship.

Take that confirmation letter with you on your ship and show it to Customer Relations, so that the ship crew are also aware which ports you will be leaving and rejoining your ship.

It wouldn't hurt to also let your cabin steward know.

You should also pick up your passports and take them on shore with you.

We have done this twice on our cruises. We contacted the office on land to check they were okay with this and then let them know on the ship. We took our passports with us. Normally for a day in port we leave them with the ship's office.

As John Bull mentioned we always had a Plan B ready if for some reason we couldn't get to the ship the next day. This was simply to have all bases covered to reduce any panic.

We enjoyed our overnight in a South African game reserve and a hotel in Moorea. It added to the adventure of the holiday.

Julie

highly frowned upon without making advance arrangements with the cruise line( so they don't waste time waiting for you to show up)

and some ports will not allow it anyway.

Thanks for the information, this is getting a little daunting, especially with the fact or renting and leaving the car in two separate countries. I think the wife is going to have to settle for saving what she wants to do for another trip.

This 24 day Med cruise has some great stops but the dogs of it really seem to be these in southern france, having a hard time finding an appealing things to do in Monte Carlo, St Tropez, Marseille and Sete.

For Marseille we are looking at the option of renting a car for the day (be in port 8am-11pm) and heading up to Avignon (and surrounding area?) for the day. Just not seeing anything too spectacularly appealing in these port locations for us.