Viking - Bamberg walk or opt Countryside?

Riversanddale

Hi. We're looking for comments or help in choosing between the Bamberg Walking Tour (4.5 hrs demanding; cathedral, townhall, free time) and the Franconian Countryside Tour (5 hrs moderate; stops in Zeil for a beer and church and in Memmelsdorf for a castle). We'll be on the Grand European Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in late October (cool? wet?). We're especially looking to see just how strenuous the Bamberg one is and whether the sights are worthwhile on either. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Stay on the ship and sail during the daylight. We did it and really enjoyed the ride. There were several people that stayed on the ship. Bamberg was designated as demanding. I don't do any demanding tours. Amazingly after a week of on the go tours, a day off was a welcome treat. I did plenty of cute towns on my trip. All are nice. Most have similar stuff. Also, in some places, we did our own thing instead of the tour. We met lots of people on our ship while we were strolling through the pedestrian area in Koblenz. We had a terrific afternoon.

both choices would be pleasant. Bamberg is a lovely place to walk around. have a look at some vision on line. whatever you chose if tired you can always find a place to rest in a café.

difficult choices. yes it will be cool but perhaps less crowded too.

I thought the walk up to the cathedral and residenz was the only demanding part of the walk I was on in August. I had to catch my breath when we got up to it. If you wanted to see the town but not take the walk to the cathedral, you could always ask your guide the time and place for meeting to go back to the ship (if you didn't already know). And don't forget to try the smoke beer.

Bamberg is a nice little town and well worth seeing up close. I don't think it is any more strenuous than most of the other places the cruise takes you to. Lots of really interesting churches and other religious sights. Make sure you keep looking up and on the sides of the buildings. If you go, make sure you try the smoked beer.

Bamberg: Walking tour in one the amazing medieval towns, well worth it if you can walk.

The countryside tour sounds like a bus tour.

We visited Bamberg while living in Germany several years ago. It is a wonderful city to visit. I would not miss that opportunity.

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. Sorry to take so long to respond but we were hoping that someone who had taken the new countryside optional tour might pop in with more info.

For now, we will probably do the Bamberg tour itself and just go as far as we can with it. I've looked up taxis and worst case we can always have a shop call a cab and head back to the bus meeting location if it's too much for us. We can hang out in a pub or cafe where we can sit down. After all, we have to try some of that smokey beer. We will consider each option again when we get on the boat and, hopefully, find out more details. Weather will also be a consideration.

Staying on the boat is always an option but we did that last cruise (same cruise other direction) and would like to see some of Bamberg if we can. We save those on-board days for when we really need them and aren't feeling up to a big walk. This cruise already has many built-in cruise mornings and afternoons so we would like to see and experience as much as we can.

We're excited (down to under 30 days!) and we'll certainly be happy to let you all know what we find out. We do note that Viking has added several new optional tours that were not offered last time, all with additional charges. With the change in the cruise direction we will make a few new stops. And, we have more time in Vienna. I believe folks still have the option of going to Bratislava which we enjoyed but Vienna just needs the extra time. Last trip we hit a Catholic holiday with all shops closed and cold, wet, windy weather so we'll appreciate the new opportunity. BTW - we hung out in Demel's. Do go in if you ever have the chance. It was wonderful and we'll return on our own again this trip.

We did the Franconian Countryside Tour this past June.

After a short bus ride from the ship, our first stop was the Schloss Seehof Palace. Schloss Seehof was the summer residence for the Bamberg Prince-Bishops. From the parking lot to the palace is around 1200 feet distance going slightly uphill. The tour of the residence requires climbing and descending stairs. Big stairs.

From the palace we went a very short distance to Brauerei & Gasthof Drei Kronen in Memmelsdorf for a brew and a pretzel. The bus dropped us off and picked us up 30 feet from the front door of the pub.

From the pub we went to a truly beautiful Baroque Catholic Church in Eltmann. I believe the name is Maria Limbach. The bus dropped us off and picked us up at the front door.

Next stop was free time in the town of Zeil am Main. The bus parked on Krumer ?Strabe? and it was down hill to the old market place and then back uphill to get the bus. It was quite steep and made of cobblestone.

Then back to the Alsvin.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks so much for the additional information about the countryside option. This gives us the specifics to mull over. We will enjoy our cruise as we always do but it really helps to have the right information at hand when many decisions have to be made last minute to be flexible.

Our concern now is shifting to water levels. This is the usual time we travel (half of our nine cruises; other half have been spring) and it is the first time we have had to worry about the water. We are seeing many two-boat trips on Viking's site right now. Fingers crossed as a "bus" trip might not be doable for us.

Safe and joyous travels to all.