Oosterdam - Gala Attire Dress Code

HoutBayCruiser

Just off the Oosterdam in the Mediterranean last week and actually witnessed one of these with suspenders added for a dressier effect in the dining room on Gala Night :eek:

On all other non-gala nights, t-shirts, shorts, windbreakers, dirty jeans and baseball hats were regularly seen in the MDR. Although HAL staff was present at the door every night, no attempt was ever made to turn away anyone.

1212547135_tuxedot-shirt.jpg.04156a6d5dced29d1d4506a1c431cadf.jpg

I've completely given up caring what others are wearing in the MDR. My vacation is too precious to waste valuable time judging my fellow passengers. I used to love dress-up evenings, but as dress codes have gradually become so relaxed, so have I.

As long as people's attire is clean and not offensive (graphic t-shirts, etc.) then I'm fine. My husband and I will continue to look our best, because that's just us.

• Like 1

Just off the Oosterdam in the Mediterranean last week and actually witnessed one of these with suspenders added for a dressier effect in the dining room on Gala Night :eek:

So much for Smart Casual being the minimal acceptable level. Some people can never reach the bar, no matter how low it's set. :rolleyes:

So much for Smart Casual being the minimal acceptable level. Some people can never reach the bar, no matter how low it's set. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the bar is just a rumble strip or a speed bump. ;)

God bless their heart. Ahhh.. I have always wondered what "dumb casual" looked like. Now I know. That they thought to add suspenders... snazzy :p

On all other non-gala nights, t-shirts, shorts, windbreakers, dirty jeans and baseball hats were regularly seen in the MDR. Although HAL staff was present at the door every night, no attempt was ever made to turn away anyone.

I hope that they were glittery suspenders. Those shirts stopped being ironic in 1987. There should be an age limit. If you can get a driver's license or learner's permit, you're too old for that shirt.

It was not on Oosterdam, but within the last year I did see one male turned away at the dining room. He was miffed, but he was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I smiled at the situation!

On Oosterdam last October, I was one of the few men wearing a tuxedo. I paid big bucks for this one about 10 years ago, I still need to wear it a couple dozen more times before I get back my investment! Sport coats are plentiful, suits are common; tuxedos are rare.

Jim

I hope that they were glittery suspenders. Those shirts stopped being ironic in 1987. There should be an age limit. If you can get a driver's license or learner's permit, you're too old for that shirt.

I've never worked in a circus guessing people's age, but I am sure the gentleman (?) wearing that outfit was in his late sixties.

If you look at what the wording in the "Know Before You Go" is, it says "Gala Nights evoke the grand tradition of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events onboard."

That t-shirt does make quite the impression . . . :D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)