Will the Harmony be as big a disaster as the Liberty?

pdrcruiser

I don't understand why people wait for the free munchies in the lounge when there is free food all over the ship. Are mini weenies in a bun and wings that important?

Because they were told they could. That being said, I learned early on that the lounges are the last place I want to be. When on a cruise the last place I want to be is in a hot, interior room with mediocre food and drinks I can get anywhere else for the same price (free). But hey, to each their own. I guess now we know that all those who threatened to leave Royal when changes were made decided to stay after all.

In the diamond lounge? Just got off the 9/11 Liberty sailing. There were over 500 D, D+ and P's on the ship. The diamond lounge was deplorable. Dirty plates and glasses stacked on tables, no service, had to stand in a long line for drinks, hot, crowded and loud lounge, food not being replinished, it was not a pleasant experience. Jorge (DL concierge) said Miami would not do anything about it. We told him we were going on the Harmony TA and his response was "good luck". He said he knew there were 122 Pinnacles on the cruise so I am anticipating close to 1000 diamond and above. I just hope they are planning to accomodate that many and have a plan in place.

And you are COMPLAINING about FREE foods and drinks???:rolleyes:

Oh thats easy, lets start with the early boarding process, they all look at you like don't you dare enter my line ha ha.

In and AROUND the lounge area, how about the one's that advertise it.

Should i go on?

Man they are easy to spot.

Granted now i may not know exactly what there status is and some may not even have one, but this is easy to spot for sure.

Yes yes please go on.

Maybe it depends on the ship and/or itinerary? My sister and I were on the Jewel out of Rome this summer and we ALWAYS got a seat in the Diamond Lounge. The lounge was very small, about 6 or so small tables. It seemed to be the same people every day. We just wanted a quiet place to enjoy a glass of wine and to watch the scenery. We also went to the lounge on the Anthem and while that lounge was larger, we again never had a problem with a seat. Maybe it was because we always went just before dinner?

This was our experience on the Jewel out of Rome this summer as well- Lounges were always quiet, the SL more so than the DL. SL was so quiet, that we couldn't stay there out of boredom- like Cello, we like to join others, mingle, and have a good time. The folks in the DL were very friendly, so we hung out there despite the SL being a prettier, more sophisticated looking lounge. It's all about your fellow travelers.

Our last Liberty in April was the same. But we soon just sat out in Viking Crown and the guys went in to get our drinks/goodies in the lounge and then we started on the vouchers. We stopped trying after the second day. But I would hate to give up the espresso machine in the mornings.

It used to be so relaxing and fun to go in with 20 or 30 diamonds in there and meet new people. Guess those days are over. We were never snubbed although sometimes never talked to but we make our own party.

I just do not appreciate being promised something and then when you achieve it taken away from you arbitrarily. But I guess we have to look at it objectively...Spookwife is right, there could never be a big enough venue to accommodate us all now.

I will be happy with the vouchers and if they'd give us back our $225 discount.:o

Edited by BecciBoo

I go into any TA epecting teh lounges to be crowded and the coffee machine to be out of beans or not working half the time. And it is hard to fault the company when you know how that type of cruise draws in repeat cruisers.

On sailigns where the lounge is not packed, it is a great, relaing place to hang out from time to time. And on other sailings---the three coupons are a great system these days which allows so much flexibity

(and, in all honesty, we'Ve only met someone and ended up chatting in the lounge ONCE, but we pretty much always meet people in Schooners and other venuesnad end up making friends----we are happy to meet fellow friendly passengers whether it is their first crfuise or 100th cruise or any other number in between)

No, because my boarding information says I may board at my leisure.:)

I'm curious where that is located, your boarding information?? Trying to figure out if Royal is sending conflicting info to its cruises. Wouldn't be the first time.

Or is it because of Priority Boading because of Status? I don't think Priority Boarding has anything to do with what time you board or boarding by deck number, it means you might have a shorter line to check in and a nicer waiting area. Sure, status probably should board before others at their designated boarding time, by deck.

Edited by troykahack

Nothing because it's only a suggestion

How is asking a suggestion, to me, asking is a polite way to request.

From current letter for boarding...

We, at Royal Caribbean International, want your vacation to get off on a wonderful start and in order to facilitate your check-in process, ask that you arrive at the cruise terminal according to the following designated times. This will help ensure a smooth embarkation experience so that you can begin your vacation as soon as possible:

ask defined.....

verb

1. say something in order to obtain an answer or some information.

"he asked if she wanted coffee"

synonyms: inquire, query, want to know; More

2. request (someone) to do or give something.

"Mary asked her father for money"

synonyms: request, demand; More

noun

1. a request, especially for a donation.

"it was an awkward ask for more funding"

Sure looks like a request to me..... nowhere do they suggest one to board by deck

Edited by troykahack

How is asking a suggestion, to me, asking is a polite way to request.

From current letter for boarding...

We, at Royal Caribbean International, want your vacation to get off on a wonderful start and in order to facilitate your check-in process, ask that you arrive at the cruise terminal according to the following designated times. This will help ensure a smooth embarkation experience so that you can begin your vacation as soon as possible:

ask defined.....

verb

1. say something in order to obtain an answer or some information.

"he asked if she wanted coffee"

synonyms: inquire, query, want to know; More

2. request (someone) to do or give something.

"Mary asked her father for money"

synonyms: request, demand; More

noun

1. a request, especially for a donation.

"it was an awkward ask for more funding"

Sure looks like a request to me..... nowhere do they suggest one to board by deck

LOL, so when is your time?

Maybe there should be diamond only cruises, then they wouldn't have to mingle with the poor folks at all. They can just hobnob with there own kind. Just sayin.:D

The WHOLE SHIP is a GIANT Diamond lounge.

I can see this working.

Just imagine 2,000+ people complaining about the Welcome gift options all at once.

I'm curious where that is located, your boarding information?? Trying to figure out if Royal is sending conflicting info to its cruises. Wouldn't be the first time.

Or is it because of Priority Boading because of Status? I don't think Priority Boarding has anything to do with what time you board or boarding by deck number, it means you might have a shorter line to check in and a nicer waiting area. Sure, status probably should board before others at their designated boarding time, by deck.

Then it wouldn't be priority boarding then would it? As far as other 'earned' perks, where I work, the top producers are assigned brand new cars. My employer still owns the car but did the employee earn it? Everyone here know's that perks can be taken away at any given time. Why you find the need to keep harping on about it is what is really strange.

Why are you so obsessed with what other people do?[emoji848] If you must know I can board when I feel like it because I'm in a suite and Royal Caribbean tells me I can. The boarding pass also says Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle members can board at their leisure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically when things like what is reported in Post #1 occur...they are not repeated...on the same ship, or others in the fleet - since there is no correlation with the experience based on specific services provided any given cruise/week.

Considering there were plenty of reports of the issues...suggesting the problem would propagate to other ships is wild speculation at minimum and unfounded conjecture more than likely.

Having read and followed the whole thread from the start, and not posting until now...enough said.

Getting a lot of negative flak, but I guess you had to be there to understand. You are not just whining about having a hard time finding a seat. It was a total hot mess. I also bailed after 1 drink on day 2. Gave it a quick look after a bad day one and saw that it was not gonna get any better. Just a mosh pit in there. And yes it was annoyingly loud. Some just have to hold court and shout over others to be heard. Like you, I also spent some time in the schooner, but Boleros ended up being our bar of choice.

We've been on several cruises as a diamond, and the DL is usually an enjoyable time before dinner. Staff talk with you and you can chat with other experienced cruisers in a relaxing atmosphere. None of that this cruise - by far our worst DL experience, but it did not ruin our time. We accepted that this cruise the DL was a waste of time, and moved on.

What I do not understand is the fascination of some folks with getting a seat in there and camping out all night. I thought it was supposed to be a relaxing before/after dinner experience, not an all nighter. Like its a weird competition. I went in for a coffee for DW at about 3:30 one afternoon and some were already staking out their territory for the evening. One guy even said he had to watch his weight so he just stayed in the DL and grabbed snacks and skipped the MDR. Like those 4 plates of tapas and 8 free drinks you get are some kind of diet plan...

I guess I am on both sides of this fence. When it is not crowded the DL is our favorite place to kick off the evening. When its a mad house like last week, we had a great time at a different venue and left the DL to the hardcore, gotta-be-in-there-no-matter-what-and-score-some-free-drinks folks.

Doug,

I appreciate you adding to my observation. I feel exactly the same way you do. Boy, if I knew this was going to open up such a can of worms, I never would have started the post.

With only one cruise under my belt, I found taking the ship's advice actually helps in the case. We had late seating, we didn't go to the Diamond club till about 10 minutes before Early started. That seemed to be a good time to easily get a seat. The first night we went the moment it was open, excited to finally see what was beyond the golden doors.

Exactly! On our last trip there were no seats available in either the CL or DL... until it got close to time for early seating. Afterwards there were a couple nights we had the CL all to ourselves. DL... not quite that empty but definitely emptier than it was.

Why are you so obsessed with what other people do?[emoji848] If you must know I can board when I feel like it because I'm in a suite and Royal Caribbean tells me I can. The boarding pass also says Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle members can board at their leisure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my cruise documents.....

For your comfort and your convenience we recommend

that you not arrive more than 30 minutes prior to the

scheduled check-in start time. Early arrivals may have

a prolonged wait time in potentially warm or inclement

weather conditions.

From Royal, a letter (email) regarding boarding... they request we board at a certain time by deck

Deck 8 1130-1200

From my Set Sail Pass

CHECK-IN TIME RANGE: 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM

I am on Deck 8 Enchantment and our boarding time is 1130-1200. I wonder what other Set Sail passes say?

I am obsessed so to speak with the hope that all people can at least try to follow the rules/requests. I don't like people that butt in line. I don't care much for rude people. I know a Suite Guest, and those with certain levels of status have a separate line on embarkation, that is Priority Boarding, but has nothing to do with assigned boarding time by deck. I am sure if you are a D, D+, or P, they will accommodate you.

I believe since you are a Suite Guest, you should have priority boarding and should also be able to board when you want. You have paid for this privilege.

What are others going to do if they start enforcing their request????

Edited by troykahack

Doug,

I appreciate you adding to my observation. I feel exactly the same way you do. Boy, if I knew this was going to open up such a can of worms, I never would have started the post.

No problem. It was what it was. And it wasn't pretty. Coulda been handled better, but its easy to arm chair quarterback. I think Jorge was just totally overwhelmed and looking for a bunker to climb in. If I was on RCI staff in there I might have been looking for a place to duck and cover too.

Sorry about the rude poster who resorted to name calling and personal attacks toward you because you voiced an observation/opinion. Unless I missed them, it looks like those posts went poof, which is a good thing. No need for that here.