Port Guides question

Vict0riann

Has anyone downloaded one of the new "Port Guides" that HAL has listed in their itineraries? I am finding the on line versions very difficult to maneuver, and I wondered if the downloaded version was better. I had hoped they would be better than the bit of information they give you on board, and as some of our ports we were going to DIY, a good guide would be wonderful! All I need is a respectable map and a few highlights!

Unfortunately, the PDF version of the guide provides no additional information on the ports. The guides, in either format, provide extremely limited information and seem to me to be more of a marketing tool for HAL's shore excursions than a port guide per se. Something like Tom's Port Guide (http://www.tomsportguides.com) is vastly more useful.

I would suggest you google each of your ports and download the information for what you want to do from there. I've never done anything other than my own thing in ports around the world and this method has always been fine for me ... Plus info tends to be up to date ...

I always make my own travel guides that I print out and take with me, this way I can tailor them to exactly what I plan to do. The internet makes this so easy.

The one caveat that I strongly urge anyone to keep in mind when doing this is to check MULTIPLE sources -- so many times internet sources are out of date or just plain have wrong information. Guidebooks are sometimes hopelessly out of date as well, given the slowness of the publishing process. My own rule of thumb is never to take something as gospel until I confirm it in at least 3 sources.

I'm not a big fan of Tom's port guides as a stand-alone source. Most of the info is based only on the options he has chosen, and often there are a lot of other options that are not covered.

I'm not a big fan of Tom's port guides as a stand-alone source. Most of the info is based only on the options he has chosen, and often there are a lot of other options that are not covered.

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't use Tom's or any other guide as a stand-alone source.

Could making a 10:00 AM flight be reasonable? I think I read something somewhere about getting a card that makes customs faster?

If docking and clearance goes well as planned, do a self-debarkation, take a private transportation to airport, and have a domestic flight, it is theoretically possible. But for us, we would not take that flight. It is stressful while still onboard thinking that problems may arise till we have boarded the plane.

Was sadly disappointed in HAL port guides as minimal information of any value, like open times, admissions, transportation. I check several sources including tom's port guides, tripadvisor, whatsinport.com, the port's tourist sites, wikitravel, lonely planet, etc. and build my own. Also found a fairly decent map site: mapsofworld.com where you can download into a word file.

Could making a 10:00 AM flight be reasonable? I think I read something somewhere about getting a card that makes customs faster?

woo - that is really pushing it as ICE can take a while depending on how many ships are in, airport security can be awful. Yes there is a card (Global Entry): cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/card.

I have done an 11:30 flight, got off with the people carrying their own luggage, breezed thru IC, grabbed a waiting cab, checked in for the flight and luggage at the curb, had pre-printed boarding passes and 1st class tickets so could use the shorter line for TSA and only had about 20 minutes to wait to board - of course the gate was the farthest away.

Even with the card, 10 am may be too early even if you assume the kiosks are working and everyone using them knows what to do.

Edited by take us away

Thanks for all the advice. We have a very port-intensive Med cruise coming up - only 5 sea days in a 28-day cruise, and although we have most of them filled with either private tours or HAL shore excursions, there are a few we were planning to "do" on our own, and I have been looking for information like museum times, maps, etc. I have downloaded some of Tom's Port Guides, and I really like the maps on Whatsinport, just looking for a variety of information.