Priscilla, Queen of the desert on NCL Epic

HamishHamish

Just read this review on CC ship reviews:

"We could only pre-book the Precilla Queen of the Desert online before hand (which we did) but it wasn't mentioned that the show was split in two so you had to book two different shows. We only saw half the show in the end."

I don't understand the comment about having to book two different shows. Can anybody help with this?

Have no clue what they are talking about. Was on the Epic in April and saw the show all in one sitting. There was no splitting in half of anything.

Yep, what Rochelle said.

The only thing being split is two complete performances over two show times on the same evening.

Enjoy your fun night in the theatre! :)

NCL list the running time of the show at 90minutes. Is this accurate? The running time on Broadway was 2:15 PLUS a 15 minute intermission. What did they cut to shave 45 minutes off the show?

I'm still unclear if the version being shown on the EPIC is the US version or the UK/Austraila version, as they had a significantly different group of songs to create the score.

NCL list the running time of the show at 90minutes. Is this accurate? The running time on Broadway was 2:15 PLUS a 15 minute intermission. What did they cut to shave 45 minutes off the show?

I understand that the version on the EPIC is an abridged version of the stage show. Having seen the show in London (and loved it) I can picture a number of scenes from this rather 'adult' show which could easily be cut to make the show rather more suitable for general viewing and more mainstream (or should that be main-mediterranean?) !!

I haven't seen the full Broadway production, but thankfully I don't think they made much effort to edit the show on the Epic to be more mainstream and suitable for general viewing!

It seems clear that the reviewer that the OP quoted (user Sarahd24) was confused about this show, and about some other things on board.

I'm still unclear if the version being shown on the EPIC is the US version or the UK/Austraila version, as they had a significantly different group of songs to create the score.

Due to stage heights, the high heel is excluded from the top of the bus and any scenes from those are not portrayed in the Epic production of it. That shaved some time off it. Otherwise it's pretty true to form. Even with the insane amount of costume changes towards the end when they're performing at their final destination. It was a great production. I saw it twice with the roll out cast last late Nov/December. They did an excellent job! You'll really love it! :)

When I was on Epic last year I recall a couple of the numbers were shortened, such as the 'cake in the rain' song didn't have the full dance number, but it still it was a fabulous show. Can't remember if we had an interval or not but definitely saw the whole show.

Thanks for all the replies - sad to hear that Follie Delirio (the number performed in the high heel) had to be cut for technical reasons, as it was a real showstopper on Broadway with the shoe extending over a 1/3 of the way out over the orchestra seating as the number was performed. Other than that it sounds like cosmetic surgery - a nip here and a tuck there :p and what Queen doesn't need a tuck?!

Regardless of any changes or cuts I'm sure I'll have a great time! I'm hoping tosee it at least twice while onboard :D

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Saw the show on the Epic on 28th August cruise, thoroughly enjoyed it, now would like to see the land based show

I really want to see this, loved the movie, but how do I book it? On my NCL latitudes page? How many days before sailing is it available please? ( never knew you had to book shows, but never been on such a big ship before!!:eek:)

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert was absolutely the entertainment highlight of our Epic cruise .

Can't think of a better main theater show I've seen on any cruise .

I understand that the version on the EPIC is an abridged version of the stage show. Having seen the show in London (and loved it) I can picture a number of scenes from this rather 'adult' show which could easily be cut to make the show rather more suitable for general viewing and more mainstream (or should that be main-mediterranean?) !!
If they cut any scenes to make it tamer , it still wasn't enough for the 30 or so who walked out during my performance . I had to ask myself , what the heck were they expecting . :confused:;)
Your cabin type governs how far ahead you can book. In our case it was 100 days.

Reason you have to book. .. The theatre only holds 800 so with 4000+ on board it's the only way. . People who haven't booked can wait in the standby line.

I was told by a staff member that they never pre-book all the seats . I though that there were more then 2 shows offered .

Your cabin type governs how far ahead you can book. In our case it was 100 days.

Reason you have to book. .. The theatre only holds 800 so with 4000+ on board it's the only way. . People who haven't booked can wait in the standby line.

Thanks for the info, I will be checking regularly, I now realise the theatre will not take all the passengers from such a huge behemoth of a ship! Rather hesitant about booking Epic at first, we've never sailed on such a big one!!!

Our first cruise was Silversea with 250 pax, now we are gradually working our way up( or is it down!!:D:D)