Splendor Southern Caribbean/Curacao advice

Miss Kellybean

Hi!

I posted the message below over on the Curacao forum but it has been several days without a response. I know this is a more active board so I am hoping nobody will really mind the cross-post. Here is what I posted:

We will be in Curacao in November (party of 2 on honeymoon) and unfortunately, we are not interested in the Carnival excursions and the private tours I have found are more than I would like to spend or not available.

Has anyone had luck renting a car and taking off to explore? Is Curacao easy to navigate for first time visitors?

Some sights we are interested in are Shete Boka, Hato Caves, Jan Kok (flamingos), and any beautiful sights that may be recommended and of interest to first timers. Could go either way on beaches and swimming and would love to see a bit of Willemsted, too.

Any suggestions/tips/ideas?

Thanks!

I've never rented a car there, but we took a tour with a private driver. I would have no issue with renting a car and exploring. It wasn't that complicated of an island. If the rental is too expensive, maybe grab a taxi to the place you want to spend the most time.

The downtown area is my favorite "city" in the Caribbean. The last time we were there, we just walked around there for hours, taking in the sights, shopping, talking to people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went to Curaçao on the splendor last week. We used Irie tours. It was a colorful bus tour around the island with a stop at the Curaçao factory and then a stop at the beach. They let us stay at the beach for one or two hours, you get to pick. It was only 25 dollars a person and it was fun. The beach we went to had a beach club where you could rent chairs. There was also a shopping area with restaurants. Very pretty.

I've never rented a car there, but we took a tour with a private driver. I would have no issue with renting a car and exploring. It wasn't that complicated of an island. If the rental is too expensive, maybe grab a taxi to the place you want to spend the most time.

The downtown area is my favorite "city" in the Caribbean. The last time we were there, we just walked around there for hours, taking in the sights, shopping, talking to people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A rental from Avis at the MegaPier is only $80 per day with a GPS so I think we are leaning this way. All the sights near the ship are interesting too and I hope we can squeeze everything in. If not, I guess we will just have to book another Southern Caribbean cruise!!

We went to Curaçao on the splendor last week. We used Irie tours. It was a colorful bus tour around the island with a stop at the Curaçao factory and then a stop at the beach. They let us stay at the beach for one or two hours, you get to pick. It was only 25 dollars a person and it was fun. The beach we went to had a beach club where you could rent chairs. There was also a shopping area with restaurants. Very pretty.

We also used Irie Tours in November 2015 while visiting on the Breeze. It was super fun and well worth the $25. Also, they provide free water and beer and the bus turns into a party bus ( complete with strobe lights and great music) at night on the way back to the ship. Highly recommend them!

When we were on our honeymoon we rented a car there. It was easy to do and the island is very easy to get around. I think I got the idea here but it was 13 years ago and I don't remember! We also rented a car in Aruba.

Thanks! I am not one for group tours (although Irie sounds like it could be a lot of fun for many people) and would prefer to see the island with just my hubby. Renting in Aruba is also another option, too. Thanks!!

Hi,

Let me throw this out here. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but please read to the end of this post.

We do all of our excursions through tripadvisor. We do not go through Carnival. We get cheaper and better excursions. Just be sure that they are high on the rating scale, just so you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship.

If you are going to Aruba, then let me also suggest "Barefoot Restaurant" for a romantic sunset dinner. We got there about 530 and had a table right out by the water. It was great. The food was excellent and the people were very polite. Jim & Pam

Hi,

Let me throw this out here. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but please read to the end of this post.

We do all of our excursions through tripadvisor. We do not go through Carnival. We get cheaper and better excursions. Just be sure that they are high on the rating scale, just so you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship.

If you are going to Aruba, then let me also suggest "Barefoot Restaurant" for a romantic sunset dinner. We got there about 530 and had a table right out by the water. It was great. The food was excellent and the people were very polite. Jim & Pam

Thank you. I regularly book excursions through many different ways (the ship, recommendations, Trip Advisor, etc.). With the sights we are hoping to see in Curacao, we are planning on renting a car from Avis.

Thanks for the Aruba recommendation. The ship leaves at 4 but I have a feeling we may return in the future to Aruba and hopefully stay on island for a few days so I appreciate the recommendation for the restaurant.

We used public transportation when we were on Aruba and Curaco I believe both ports were under $2.00 for the ride on a city bus, which was a great and safe way to see the island and view the local attractions. We loved it, and was greatly affordable. We walked acrossed the swinging bridge into town, it was not that far, and then we hopped onto a city bus and toured away.

We used public transportation when we were on Aruba and Curaco I believe both ports were under $2.00 for the ride on a city bus, which was a great and safe way to see the island and view the local attractions. We loved it, and was greatly affordable. We walked acrossed the swinging bridge into town, it was not that far, and then we hopped onto a city bus and toured away.

Do you remember which sights you saw? I'm intrigued. :rolleyes: