Wheelchair and cozumel

Rjh8842

We will be on the independence traveling to cozumel. My dad is in a power wheelchair. Does anyone have details about exiting the ship. I feel like the person I emailed at rccl was unsure of the information. He can not leave the ship if we tender or the ramp is too steep. He can not come out of his chair. What has your expereince been? Tia. The rccl site does list it as a stop that requires tendering but we all know the site is unreliable.

We will be on the independence traveling to cozumel. My dad is in a power wheelchair. Does anyone have details about exiting the ship. I feel like the person I emailed at rccl was unsure of the information. He can not leave the ship if we tender or the ramp is too steep. He can not come out of his chair. What has your experience been? Tia. The rccl site does list it as a stop that requires tendering but we all know the site is unreliable.

The International Pier where RCI traditionally docks (no tendering) is wheelchair friendly but only for the dock portion. Once in the shop area there are relatively steep ramps to moderate ones. The ramp to get to the street is very steep.

We will be on the independence traveling to cozumel. My dad is in a power wheelchair. Does anyone have details about exiting the ship. I feel like the person I emailed at rccl was unsure of the information. He can not leave the ship if we tender or the ramp is too steep. He can not come out of his chair. What has your expereince been? Tia. The rccl site does list it as a stop that requires tendering but we all know the site is unreliable.

Cozumel – Docked Port

The crew will assist your father on/off the ship. The gangway may be steep just so you know. Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps, steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms.

Nevertheless, Cozumel wheelchair access is generally sufficiently good enough that disabled cruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

Pier

• Long Pier walk to entrance of shopping area just outside the pier
  • Can be a long line waiting to board the ship and there are no seats/benches inside the dock area.

General information

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.

Refer to this link for port pictures : http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/cozumel-disabled-access

I know this may not be of use to a power wheelchair user, but I have seen locals with wheel chairs waiting for anyone who needs assistance traversing the long dock. They seemed to be wearing some kind of ID badges so I am assuming they are authorized(?). Someone we know who had difficulty walking, hailed one and paid something like $2. They also have tuk tuks for transportation and have once seen a small golf cart too.

I know this may not be of use to a power wheelchair user, but I have seen locals with wheel chairs waiting for anyone who needs assistance traversing the long dock. They seemed to be wearing some kind of ID badges so I am assuming they are authorized(?). Someone we know who had difficulty walking, hailed one and paid something like $2. They also have tuk tuks for transportation and have once seen a small golf cart too.

Does not apply to OP's father as he has his own Powered Wheelchair and does require the assistance of a manual wheelchair with pusher. Never have seen a golf cart (AKA TUK TUK)on the pier in Cozumel. Regardless it also does not apply to the OP's father as the Golf Cart ( AKA Tuk Tuk" ) is not wheelchair accessible.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Does not apply to OP's father as he has his own Powered Wheelchair and does require the assistance of a manual wheelchair with pusher. Never have seen a golf cart (AKA TUK TUK)on the pier in Cozumel. Regardless it also does not apply to the OP's father as the Golf Cart ( AKA Tuk Tuk" ) is not wheelchair accessible.

Thank you for being the post nanny ;)

Did you care to read that I had mentioned that it does not apply to a power wheel chair user? It may not apply to the Op, but there are plenty others who read and perhaps it may be useful info for someone who needs a ride.

Golf cart = Golf cart

TUK TUK= small bicycle pulled contraption

Cozumel has 3 docks, I saw them on two of them, a couple of times out of 10 or 11 visits.

Edited by Arzeena

The International Pier where RCI traditionally docks (no tendering) is wheelchair friendly but only for the dock portion. Once in the shop area there are relatively steep ramps to moderate ones. The ramp to get to the street is very steep.

We were on Cozumel in May and the whole area near the taxi line was all dug up with lots of construction going on. Have you been since then? Wondering if they have made some changes to make it easier for people in wheelchairs like the OP father.

I think it would be better if your Dad stayed aboard. Nothing really interesting to see in the port and the roads in Mexico aren't wheelchair friendly. Your Dad will enjoy a relaxing Day at the pool with a Pina Colada and no lines anywhere.

We were on Cozumel in May and the whole area near the taxi line was all dug up with lots of construction going on. Have you been since then? Wondering if they have made some changes to make it easier for people in wheelchairs like the OP father.

Actually the sidewalk going to the Carnival pier (Playa Maya) was closed just in front of the International Pier which caused us to walk in the street with traffic. Not safe for pedestrians and impossible for handicapped devices. This was one and three weeks ago if you can't see my signature element.

Thank you for being the post nanny ;)

Did you care to read that I had mentioned that it does not apply to a power wheel chair user? It may not apply to the Op, but there are plenty others who read and perhaps it may be useful info for someone who needs a ride.

Golf cart = Golf cart

TUK TUK= small bicycle pulled contraption

Cozumel has 3 docks, I saw them on two of them, a couple of times out of 10 or 11 visits.

Actually you stated and I quote "I know this may not be of use to a power wheelchair user" which implies that you didn't know for certain. My post was so that the OP ( as well as others reading this thread) would not be miss -lead as to believe that the pier wheelchair attendants were an option for anyone in a power wheelchair or scooter as well as to clarify that any other pier vehicle such as a Golf Cart or a Tuk Tuk was not wheelchair accessible.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I think it would be better if your Dad stayed aboard. Nothing really interesting to see in the port and the roads in Mexico aren't wheelchair friendly. Your Dad will enjoy a relaxing Day at the pool with a Pina Colada and no lines anywhere.

I 100% disagree with your statement!!!! Once a person, decides to travel outside their comfort area, things are not the same. Yes, many challenges happen, and the need to adapt to those challenges are already part of a disabled travelers life. Mexico is one of our favorite ports. As long as you have an assistant to help (husband/wife/kid/random person on the street) you can do just about anything.

Some items to remember. Getting on and off the ship. It is better if the person on the wheelchair can walk on the ramp. Wheelchairs do not have the best brakes.

Threshhold. Some wheelchairs will snag over the lip on a ramp. They bottom out. Again if you can walk at least up the ramp, it is so much easier.

In Mexico. Street sidewalks are narrow, and you may encounter a challenge w/o some streets not having ramps. Many stores will have a step up, but yet many will have a ramp.

Since my wife can get out of the wheelchair, and it is a hybrid, active person chair, that can go off road easy, we do not have any major issues. Challenges yes, but issues no.

I hope you are not asking the crew to carry a power wheelchair with your farther in it down a steep ramp.

I hope you are not asking the crew to carry a power wheelchair with your farther in it down a steep ramp.

OP needs to understand that NO cruise line permits its crew to lift any passengers and carry them down/up of ramp with or with out being seated in a wheelchair, scooter or another mobility device.

The OP needs to understand that though the ship will be docked at the pier safety of ALL passengers is of the utmost importance. RCCL will make every reasonable effort to assist passengers that must remain seated in their wheelchair or mobility scooter but sometimes assistance in the form of solely guiding the mobility device is not enough to ensure the individual's safety . If this is the situation the person will not be permitted to exit the ship.

OP needs to also be aware that the under clearance of the wheelchair may not be sufficient to clear the ramp joints. If the power wheelchair is forced pushed by the crew to clear the gangway joints by doing so the motor can be damaged rendering it inoperable. There's a lot to consider when using a powered mobility item to exit the ship. It's not just a matter of the port being docked or tendered.

Edited by xxoocruiser

OP needs to understand that NO cruise line permits its crew to lift any passengers and carry them down/up of ramp with or with out being seated in a wheelchair, scooter or another mobility device.

The OP needs to understand that though the ship will be docked at the pier safety of ALL passengers is of the utmost importance. RCCL will make every reasonable effort to assist passengers that must remain seated in their wheelchair or mobility scooter if the gangway but sometimes assistance in the form of solely guiding the mobility device is not enough to ensure the individual's safety . If this is the situation the person will not be permitted to exit the ship.

The OP never said they expected anyone to lift their father, they asked a question. They did not come here for a lecture.

We were on the Navigator and docked last November. The ramp wasn't that bad - my mother uses a wheelchair (though we don't travel with her power chair because we can't transport it such a long distance).

Where Royal docks though is the most unfriendly wheelchair dock in Cozumel - either the Carnival dock or the other larger dock are much more wheelchair friendly. There are very steep ramps up through the shopping area and a steep drop down ramp right near the dock.

That being said, we managed.

If you father can handle it (i.e. doesn't need head support or something specific with his power chair), you may also want to consider borrowing a manual wheelchair from the ship. They aren't great but at least you'll be able to push him up and down the steep ramps in the dock area.

Oh, and the Senior Frogs at the dock? It's wheelchair accessible - there's a ramp up to small tables and chairs. My mother finally got to check off "Drink at Senior Frog's" off her bucket list. Of course it was at 8am in the morning but still - it's done :D.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Actually you stated and I quote "I know this may not be of use to a power wheelchair user" which implies that you didn't know for certain. My post was so that the OP ( as well as others reading this thread) would not be miss -lead as to believe that the pier wheelchair attendants were an option for anyone in a power wheelchair or scooter as well as to clarify that any other pier vehicle such as a Golf Cart or a Tuk Tuk was not wheelchair accessible.

It "implies" nothing, it is very clear. You misunderstood! Move on.

Edited by Arzeena