Bag search leaving ship at a port stop?

Blackfish123

You can put some nice baking potatoes in those foil bags and slow bake them too.

Drat, and all I have is popcorn, not even buttered.:D

This thread has taken a truly bizarre twist and turn.

Edited by iheartbda

I know I'll regret posting to this thread, but I really do have some insight.

Partner and I are scuba divers, and take our own gear on cruises to dive in the various ports. Routinely, at least at the first port we debark with the dive gear, we get stopped and asked about our large bags. Sometimes they're satisfied when we say "Dive gear", other times they look. There is a very real concern they have of someone disembarking without saying so. The reasons vary. For example with cruises with more than one US port, early disembarkation can result in fines to the cruise line for a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act) which prohibits non-US flagged vessels from transporting from one US port to another. In foreign ports the problem becomes the cruise line's liability for having a passenger listed as a single-day visitor turning into an "entrant" to the country. Consequently, ship's security is always going to look carefully at any bag large enough to conceivably carry off all of one's belongings. Now, I realized the OP was clear their bag wasn't particularly large, or full, but it was on the trolley, so I am quite certain that's what triggered the interest. Furthermore, this was the explanation the OP was given but apparently has chosen to reject.

I understand that from the OP's point of view the bag wouldn't seem to fit the criteria. I sort of laugh when they ask about our scuba bags, when I consider how much more junk we have in the stateroom. However, the security people at the port have no way of knowing how much you may have come on with. You don't have to be on Cruise Critic long, or take many cruises, before you see people that can pack all they need for a cruise in a bag they carry on the ship with them.

So, I can tell you from experience that relatively few people get stopped for a bag check leaving the ship; but it does happen; and the reason the OP was given is exactly the reason it occurs.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Partner and I are scuba divers, and take our own gear on cruises to dive in the various ports. Routinely, at least at the first port we debark with the dive gear, we get stopped and asked about our large bags. Sometimes they're satisfied when we say "Dive gear", other times they look. There is a very real concern they have of someone disembarking without saying so. The reasons vary. For example with cruises with more than one US port, early disembarkation can result in fines to the cruise line for a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act) which prohibits non-US flagged vessels from transporting from one US port to another. In foreign ports the problem becomes the cruise line's liability for having a passenger listed as a single-day visitor turning into an "entrant" to the country. Consequently, ship's security is always going to look carefully at any bag large enough to conceivably carry off all of one's belongings. Now, I realized the OP was clear their bag wasn't particularly large, or full, but it was on the trolley, so I am quite certain that's what triggered the interest. Furthermore, this was the explanation the OP was given but apparently has chosen to reject.

I understand that from the OP's point of view the bag wouldn't seem to fit the criteria. I sort of laugh when they ask about our scuba bags, when I consider how much more junk we have in the stateroom. However, the security people at the port have no way of knowing how much you may have come on with. You don't have to be on Cruise Critic long, or take many cruises, before you see people that can pack all they need for a cruise in a bag they carry on the ship with them.

So, I can tell you from experience that relatively few people get stopped for a bag check leaving the ship; but it does happen; and the reason the OP was given is exactly the reason it occurs.

Harris

Denver, CO

This was actually really helpful to me. Thank you. I am suspicious of short explanations about security since that can be used to justify whatever one wishes to do. I also take the OP at his word that this was handled poorly originally. I also understand that this particular explanation makes a lot of sense, and I appreciate the time you took to write it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Then pat downs become invasive searches and its OK because Security is doing thier job. I don't think so.

You don't know what you don't know and that appears to be a ton. Stop trying to spin this off into something more in line with your personal agenda.

Harris

Denver, CO

Excellent post!

It should also be noted that my last short cruise, I packed everything I needed in a backpack. ONE backpack. That could be worn by child. That probably weighed almost 15lbs or so tops. My last one week cruise was done in a 20" rolling bag.

ETA: I'd bet that 20" bag was less than 1/2 full at most.

Edited by poncho1973