Bag search leaving ship at a port stop?

Blackfish123

poncho 1973, I have to say your post was my favorite, though I've got to admit I skipped a few pages in between.
This is a simply brilliant distillation of the situation, IMO.

Kudos, poncho.

:)

As was brilliantly laid out with Port Alottafun, you don't know what they were looking for. Maybe it would have been obvious.

Why... thank you all!

Before I go, I’d like to add that I think many people have missed much of my point here – this was not any kind of security check, random or otherwise. It served no useful purpose at all. The guard failed to examine the bag properly, didn’t open any of the 2 bags on the inside and didn’t carry out any useful search. Why carry out any kind of examination that is not done correctly?

I know you said you were done, but just in case you're still reading...

You're convinced it wasn't a security check. OK. Then what was it? Do you honestly believe that security stopped you and asked you to open your bag simply to disrupt your port stop? That someone thought "hey, here's a nice couple, let's see if we can get them to open their bag."?

Then how would they get things in/out of the bag? I also don't understand why the bag would have had to be taken off the trolley (is that like a dolly?) Simply unzip it and let them go through it.

I can understand questioning the search. Granted, I've only been on 3 cruises, but I've never seen a bag search getting OFF the ship. But there are many things I can picture them looking for... drugs, food, alcohol immediately come to mind. And have a bag on a trolley might have given them pause. It's hard to understand for me why a trolley would be needed for something that weighs 2 pounds.

Also, it doesn't matter that's it's your anniversary, or where you're from. SOMETHING triggered the search. Or it was just random.

You MUST be young, lol. Not everybody has the strength and flexibility with which they were born. And, although I can do a lot of things at floor level, when I pack a bag, I put it on a higher surface - the bed, a counter, whatever. I don't know how old OP is (and it does not matter), but I know that my 95 year old father couldn't get down on the floor and have a reasonable expectation of getting up again any time soon.:eek:

No not sensitivity, it's about me, me, me.

...Do you know what the times with the IRA were like? Did you know of the HEIGHT of those embattled times? Did you walk a mile in the OP's shoes so that you can say they are overreacting?

Do you also think that PTSD is a me, me me issue?

Do you know what Bono has done in all his efforts for humaitarinism starting with these wars?

Edited by MizDemeanor

I am sorry this upset so much but it happens they are paid to search bags so they have to do it to someone you drew the short straw.

I was travelling with a boot cast on my foot using a knee scooter to get around. At one airport I had a choice to take off my boot to be searched or get it x rayed. Since it was very painful to take off my boot (I had broken the arch of my foot) I went with x ray. Annoying and uncomfortable as they wanted me to stand and I was non weight bearing. My dh was fuming my kids scared cause they took me to a little room. Its just a fact of travel these days.

Before I go, I’d like to add that I think many people have missed much of my point here – .

I doubt it. These threads are on here all the time and are simply the result of rci not massaging someone's ego. Hey, let's use cc to make them look bad

People should never be sorry that security is doing their job.

Have you taken this matter up with Customer Relations at headquarters? As others have said, random checks are common, but I've never seen anyone's bag being checked while leaving the ship. Considering that the vast, and I mean vast majority of RC ship staff are courteous and respectful, the fact that the search was conducted in an abrupt and rude manner with no explanation as to why merits some sort of review from Corporate.

A very good friend of mine is a pilot with a major carrier. He knows that any letter from a passenger, whether good or bad, about an airline employee will end up in the personnel file of the employee, and he or she gets a copy. If an employee is the subject of too many letters, or there is a serious issue, the employee will have a meeting with his or her supervisor.

I once wrote American Airlines about what I thought was a major issue with the crew on a flight. I got a letter of apology, indicating that the situation on the flight was going to be made a part of crew training.

That's why, if I think something is an issue, I'm willing to contact customer service.

I doubt it. These threads are on here all the time and are simply the result of rci not massaging someone's ego. Hey, let's use cc to make them look bad

People should never be sorry that security is doing their job.

True, although the cruise line shouldn't be able to say the word "security" to justify whatever they decided to do. I struggle to think what security risk the ship faced from a departing passenger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

True, although the cruise line shouldn't be able to say the word "security" to justify whatever they decided to do. I struggle to think what security risk the ship faced from a departing passenger.

You don't know what you don't know. Does that help your struggle?

It's not like they hurt anyone or went outside their authority. They simply did a search. Just because the OP "felt" humiliated, doesn't mean anything. Security is not there to worry about feelings.

Edited by BND

You don't know what you don't know. Does that help your struggle?

It's not like they hurt anyone or went outside their authority. They simply did a search. Just because the OP "felt" humiliated, doesn't mean anything. Security is not there to worry about feelings.

Then pat downs become invasive searches and its OK because Security is doing thier job. I don't think so.

Then pat downs become invasive searches and its OK because Security is doing thier job. I don't think so.

What the heck are you talking about? We're talking about what the OP reported which had to do with searching a bag. There was no pat down or "invasive" search.

And I stand by you don't know what you don't know. They do not have to tell you what they are searching for, nor do they have to explain why. The fact is, you don't have to consent and they don't have to let you travel/stay on the ship.

Edited by BND

Sounds like personal problems to me, maybe start a thread and someone could help you with struggling and pat downs:rolleyes:

What the heck are you talking about? We're talking about what the OP reported which had to do with searching a bag. There was no "invasive" search.

And I stand by you don't know what you don't know. They do not have to tell you what they are searching for, nor do they have to explain why. The fact is, you don't have to consent and they don't have to let you travel/stay on the ship.

I am suggesting that the approach of anything goes as I think you suggest with the idea that its OK to allow and have open limits because 'Security Rules' becomes more and more outlandish as it did with out of bounds searches and touches that TSA agents performed, and that have been found NOT to be OK.

Are you suggesting there are limits to what you think are OK searches?

...Do you know what the times with the IRA were like? Did you know of the HEIGHT of those embattled times? Did you walk a mile in the OP's shoes so that you can say they are overreacting?

Do you also think that PTSD is a me, me me issue?

Do you know what Bono has done in all his efforts for humaitarinism starting with these wars?

WHOA, it was a simple look in the bags, nothing remotely close to anything you're bringing up.

I guess you are OK with Racial Profiling and Shoot First methods too.

What the heck are you talking about. You're blowing something that was very simple way, way out of proportion. As I said, you always have the option to say no and they don't have to let you travel.

No one touched anyone. Do you understand? No one shot anyone and racial profiling, seriously? You are looking to stir things up for whatever your personal reasons are.

Edited by BND

WHOA, it was a simple look in the bags, nothing remotely close to anything you're bringing up.

Yes it was. A simple look in the bags. But two people said it was sensitive to them and explained exactly why. And they were harrassed by CC members who had no clue why, and exceptionally insisted they could care less why. And most missed what the connecton was to why

And they blamed them for their own misery. Like the wars were their fault. Like the trauma that comes from them were thier fault.

Very hard ass group of people here unless its what they think too.

Yes it was. A simple look in the bags. But two people said it was sensitive to them and explained exactly why. And they were harrassed by CC members who had no clue why, and exceptionally insisted they could care less why. And most missed what the connecton was to why

And they blamed them for their own misery. Like the wars were their fault. Like the trauma that comes from them were thier fault.

Very hard ass group of people here unless its what they think too.

You are missing the point entirely, just like the OP did.

What the heck are you talking about. You're blowing something that was very simple way, way out of proportion. As I said, you always have the option to say no and they don't have to let you travel.

No one touched anyone. Do you understand?

You are making no sense. You have no insight. This is not North Korea these ships sail to. Its not Gestapo. Cruise Guests are pretty much entiled to a fair shake unless you are saying that in your opinion that they are not because Security Rules and anything goes.

What was your read on what the search was about?

You are making no sense. You have no insight. This is not North Korea these ships sail to. Its not Gestapo. Cruise Guests are pretty much entiled to a fair shake unless you are saying that in your opinion that they are not because Security Rules and anything goes.

What was your read on what the search was about?

I never once said anything goes. NEVER. What I said, oh, why do I bother?

Whatever.

Edited by BND

You are missing the point entirely, just like the OP did.

I am getting hungry, gonna pat down a nice piece of loin with some of my dry rub for the smoker. Gonna put it in a "bag" overnight

Edited by setsail

I would not take it personally, but in a way, be glad that there is security and that they do appear to be attentive both coming on and leaving the ship. It could be that the security force had some type of "alert" which for security reasons they would not disclose to the passengers. I am sure that if you explained that your husband was ill, they would have taken both you and him aside to a much more private and comfortable location to conduct the search. In today's world, be glad, that nothing did happen.