Brining a fan on RCI ships

Doug S

A few years ago we learned you could ask Special Needs for a fan prior to cruising. We usually got a large clunky box fan that didn't look like much, but we were glad to have it. Made sleeping much easier with the breeze and white noise we were used to. Some of us can't sleep well without a fan.

But on our most recent sailing (Liberty) we got an e-mail back from Special needs saying that they no longer provided fans, and we were welcome to bring our own. Well, I know that has been discussed as being a prohibited item that could be confiscated, so we printed out the e-mail and brought along our Dyson bladeless fan in our checked luggage (we drove in so weight/space was not a big deal). Our bag made it through with no issues, never had to show our 'e-mail permission slip', and the fan worked great for us all week. Added bonus was seeing the look on our Steward's face when he put his hand through it and tried to understand how it worked.

We plan to do the same in the future, even on our scheduled TA, where we will probably try to buy a cheap fan in Rome, and then donate it to our cabin steward when we get to San Juan if we are too loaded down to fly with it.

We plan to do the same in the future, even on our scheduled TA, where we will probably try to buy a cheap fan in Rome, and then donate it to our cabin steward when we get to San Juan if we are too loaded down to fly with it.

Just remember that any non-battery operated fan you pick up in Rome will have a Euro plug and there's very few of those in the cabin.

I just bring a 5 inch desk fan and an extension cord. I need the airflow, not the noise....and by bringing what I need, I KNOW I will have a fan! I wouldn't trust that they could provide one....can't sleep without it!

Edited by cb at sea

Have to laugh at this thread. I bring a fan for noise and air movement. They confiscated my fan on the Allure because it was supposed to be unsafe. Our wonderful cabin steward brought us a box fan that was very tired, but it did save us as the cabin got hot in the middle of the night.

Glad to hear reports that we can legally bring a fan. Guess I need to ask special needs for one in the future. Going to be gone for 3 weeks this next cruise so fan isn't coming in the luggage, just sound machine. Sure hope the AC works or the balcony door is staying open all night.

Nice gesture. Your cabin steward would certainly wish to serve you again when you come back.

We take a travel fan everywhere we travel, because my husband likes a cool room and air movement when he sleeps. It's 45 degrees outside right now, and he's asleep with a standing fan pointed at him!

We got ours at Walmart; it's about 10 inches. It takes batteries and has an electrical power cord.

We've never had it questioned or confiscated on RCCL, Princess, HAL, or Celebrity.