Is this scenario a downgrade

Tee & Chilli

I'm booked in a balcony and would like to move to a guarantee mini suite. The mini suite is less expensive and I'm not expecting a refund. I was advised I cannot do this.

Does anyone know why NCL would deny this? My TA did not have an answer.

Yes within 30 days. :) Can I use the reduced price of the mini suite to cover the perks I already have with my balcony reservation?

My guess is that because you are within the cancellation period they will only allow a variation to an actual booked cabin not a guarantee.

Remember that inside that period there would be a penalty for a cancellation/rebook which may well not be possible to a guarantee.

Yes within 30 days. :) Can I use the reduced price of the mini suite to cover the perks I already have with my balcony reservation?

You might be somewhat disappointed with the mini suite. At this point it appears you will lose your perks and only gain a bathtub.

I considered upgrading my cruise in October. My PCC quickly explained it could be done, but I would lose my freebies and ultimately the $$$ would be more than I was hoping for. Since we were well beyond 90 days she recommended keeping my original cabin. I liked her advice because she was working for my best interest.

I'm booked in a balcony and would like to move to a guarantee mini suite. The mini suite is less expensive and I'm not expecting a refund. I was advised I cannot do this.

The first question would be:

Do you know, for an "I heard it first hand" fact, that NCL denied the upgrade?

OR

Did your TA (who not only owns the booking, but stands to lose commission if you move to a perk-free and lower priced cabin) just tell you that NCL said "No thanks"?

While there are some good TAs out there, there are others that would rather do what is best for their commission...very easy to put you on hold and then "blame" NCL for the NO answer rather than deny it on their own.

You can always call NCL, they have reps that will discuss questions with people who booked with a TA, and find out for yourself.

It's not a category downgrade, but if the new fare is less, this is not a modification that they will be inclined to let you make for free (either your TA or NCL).

People sometimes claim that you are allowed to upgrade after final payment, but not downgrade. But what they should say is that NCL typically allows you to make a change that increases the price of your booking, and they typically do not allow changes that require them to refund you some of the money you already gave them.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Changes like that are not allowed in the last thirty days. I searched for the link to that ruling for you but didn't find it. But I remember a discussion when that 30 day rule was passed.

Edited to add: I found the link. The ruling was made last November

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2279131&highlight=Within+30+days

Edited by NMLady

We had a guarantee inside and changed to a guarantee balcony in May when we were about 30 days out because the balcony price had gone below what we originally paid for the inside. This was before they removed promotion bonuses from guarantee rooms, but we didn't lose them by upgrading. We didn't get the price difference back either though, it was just a straight room change.

Changes like that are not allowed in the last thirty days. I searched for the link to that ruling for you but didn't find it. But I remember a discussion when that 30 day rule was passed.
That was almost a year ago. It's clear from more recent reports that they have totally abandoned that policy. Nothing stays the same for very long at NCL!

That was almost a year ago. It's clear from more recent reports that they have totally abandoned that policy. Nothing stays the same for very long at NCL!

So true. But since the OP wasn't allowed to do it and not given a reason, perhap the phone rep was following that rule.

OP should call again and try another rep.

We had a guarantee inside and changed to a guarantee balcony in May when we were about 30 days out because the balcony price had gone below what we originally paid for the inside. This was before they removed promotion bonuses from guarantee rooms, but we didn't lose them by upgrading. We didn't get the price difference back either though, it was just a straight room change.

This is, I think, the best the OP can hope for, to be upgraded for free to the mini suite which is now cheaper than the $$ paid for the balcony. Or inquire about a paid upgrade to a category where the current price is more than the OP has already paid. NCL is much more likely to go for that.

This is where having a good TA who does plenty of business with NCL and actually understands the way things work can pay off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - if you're taking about the same cruise we are traveling in, my TA upgraded us from a Family Suite to a Penthouse Suite for free. NCL would not deny you especially if the price for the mini-suite is less than the balcony.:)