Communicating with each other on board

shamda

We were on the Allure 5 years ago. We rented cell phones on the ship that allowed us to text each other while on board. They also had built in gps so we could locate each other. They also had the daily events schedule and other information about the ship and activities. Do they not offer this now? If we purchase the Voom package for 2 devices would it do the same thing using our own phones? With the Voom package if we wanted to text our family members back home would there be additional cell charges?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Allure 5 years ago. We rented cell phones on the ship that allowed us to text each other while on board. They also had built in gps so we could locate each other. They also had the daily events schedule and other information about the ship and activities. Do they not offer this now? If we purchase the Voom package for 2 devices would it do the same thing using our own phones? With the Voom package if we wanted to text our family members back home would there be additional cell charges?

Depends on you make of phone e.g. you could use iMessage. Otherwise using whatsapp will allow you to across devices all just need to register

I agree with the others, but to answer your question, yes you can rent from Royal a texting device at about $8.00 each for the whole cruise which allows you to text anyone else on board who also has one, and does what you said above. To reach anyone else, from home, you'll need VOOM at about $15 per day.

Hi, Roger!:)

Can the Royal IQ app also be used for messaging while on board? I have it installed on my phone for our upcoming Harmony cruise.

Royal IQ can be used on Harmony. You will have to pay for the messaging portion, however. It costs around $8 per device to be able to message for the entire cruise.

The OP is on Allure and the Royal IQ app is not available for use on Allure yet.

Royal IQ can be used on Harmony. You will have to pay for the messaging portion, however. It costs around $8 per device to be able to message for the entire cruise.

The OP is on Allure and the Royal IQ app is not available for use on Allure yet.

Thanks for the info. :) I didn't know it wasn't available on the other Oasis class ships, and also didn't know there was a charge to use it. Even if you've purchased wifi, there's a separate charge for using the messaging with Royal IQ app?

I agree with the others, but to answer your question, yes you can rent from Royal a texting device at about $8.00 each for the whole cruise which allows you to text anyone else on board who also has one, and does what you said above. To reach anyone else, from home, you'll need VOOM at about $15 per day.

Hi, Roger!:)

Thank you for answering my question without all the opinions or or uncalled for remarks. I did not want to open up a whole debate here. We need to be able to contact each other in case of an emergency. Health issues involved.

Thank you for answering my question without all the opinions or or uncalled for remarks. I did not want to open up a whole debate here. We need to be able to contact each other in case of an emergency. Health issues involved.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!:)

We usually travel with my BIL in another cabin and finding him can be exhausting!!;)

Thanks for the info. :) I didn't know it wasn't available on the other Oasis class ships, and also didn't know there was a charge to use it. Even if you've purchased wifi, there's a separate charge for using the messaging with Royal IQ app?

Yes, you do have to pay the separate charge for the Royal IQ messaging. You can use the other features of the Royal IQ app without paying for Voom, just the messaging is an additional fee.

If you are planning on purchasing the wifi and those you are trying to communicate on board also have purchased wifi, I would not spend the extra $8 per device to message using Royal IQ. I would just use iMessage or whatsapp if the others aren't iPhone users.

If the other poster is talking about using the Royal IQ app $8 messaging feature to message on the Allure, that app is not available on Allure. You would have to purchase wifi for each device or use cellular to text.

Yes, you do have to pay the separate charge for the Royal IQ messaging. You can use the other features of the Royal IQ app without paying for Voom, just the messaging is an additional fee.

If you are planning on purchasing the wifi and those you are trying to communicate on board also have purchased wifi, I would not spend the extra $8 per device to message using Royal IQ. I would just use iMessage or whatsapp if the others aren't iPhone users.

Exactly what I was thinking. We'll have the wifi included with our room, and we can use other message apps that we use here at home. Nice we can still use the Royal IQ for other things. Would that show our dinner reservations?

Exactly what I was thinking. We'll have the wifi included with our room, and we can use other message apps that we use here at home. Nice we can still use the Royal IQ for other things. Would that show our dinner reservations?

Yes, it showed our dinner reservations and all of our other reservations too. You can make reservations with it too or cancel them. I didn't like that it didn't give you the exact location of things, like the puzzle room on Anthem. We had to go to guest services to find out the puzzle room was actually in Fuel on Anthem. When we commented to the guy that ran the puzzle room, he told us that the location was the first puzzle we had to figure out.:p