Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

We're supposed to be on the 10/8 Escape leaving Miami. I'm pretty disappointed in NCL's information and the general idea that the ship will sail no matter what. So if the airport is closed? who cares. Right now the port of Miami is closed up and they don't mention anything like it on their website. I looked over at RCCL's website and it explains what's going on and the port closures and that they are banking they will be open. What they don't seem to give a care about is how anyone is supposed to make it to the port to get on the ship. It was going to be a nice easy drive from Atlanta with a stop in the middle of the night. Now, it's looking like it could be a 40hr bumper to bumper, running out of gasoline fest. And funny thing is they are still saying the Friday's boat is still sailing. No word at all about the port being closed or anything. They are literally trying to bring people into a freaking hurricane zone. And to all the people who see the projected track and boldly say it's not hitting Miami, IT'S A PREDICTION! Hurricanes rarely follow the weatherman's advice on which route to take.

I agree with you. NCL needs.to step up and say what to do. How can they expect people to make it to the port when airports and roads are closed? Sounds like they don't want to reimburse so they won't cancel.

Edited by janpo

I agree with you. NCL needs.to step up and say what to do. How can they expect people to make it to the port when airports and roads are closed? Sounds like they don't want to reimburse so they won't cancel.

What is it specifically you think NCL should "step up" and do? The ports and airports will reopen. I don't know of any roads that are closed. NCL has made it clear the ships will sail as scheduled and it is the cruisers responsibility to get there.

People need to step up, take responsibility and stop waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

Miami International Airport is open. They don't expect it to close and will remain open as long as the FAA says its ok. However, an open airport means nothing if airlines have cancelled flights. Miami is out of Matthew's path or at least out of the cone. Tonight will be windy and rainy. The port is supposed to open tomorrow and so far NCL expects no issues with the Sky embarkation tomorrow. Of course the Escape on Saturday should expect no problems.

I think there's a balance here - a lot of ppl are not going to able to make it due to flight cxls and are looking for guidance from ncl and yes ncl hasn't been as forthcoming as other or anyone else. all they can do ATM is prep - the storm is just now starting to affect south Florida and the impact to Miami won't be known for about 12-18 hours so it's hard to make hard plans without all the facts. That being said, it is our responsibility to get there (unless you booked air via ncl) so use resources such as the Florida dot and Florida 511 website. Unless Matthew makes a sharp left - Miami will prolly be ok.. just allow time for traffic and remember we leave at 7 so you don't have to be there at noon or 2. Lots of ppl on this cruise are now driving and we'll post updates as we get them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reading information from Carnival, they seem to expect the port of Miami to be open on Saturday (at least at this time). However Carnival is offering a refund to guests who opt to cancel due to travel issues, etc.

I truly can understand how awful it must be not knowing whether to attempt to get there or not. Especially if you are then enroute and the port ends up not opening as expected.

I think there's a balance here - a lot of ppl are not going to able to make it due to flight cxls and are looking for guidance from ncl and yes ncl hasn't been as forthcoming as other or anyone else. all they can do ATM is prep - the storm is just now starting to affect south Florida and the impact to Miami won't be known for about 12-18 hours so it's hard to make hard plans without all the facts. That being said, it is our responsibility to get there (unless you booked air via ncl) so use resources such as the Florida dot and Florida 511 website. Unless Matthew makes a sharp left - Miami will prolly be ok.. just allow time for traffic and remember we leave at 7 so you don't have to be there at noon or 2. Lots of ppl on this cruise are now driving and we'll post updates as we get them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MIA is open and is not going to close and I'm sure FLL will be open tomorrow. NCL cannot tell people whether their flights are cancelled or re-schedule them. That is between the passengers and the airlines. Honestly, I don't know how these helpless, irresponsible lost souls survive in this world from day to day.

If you are flying into Ft Lauderdale for your NCL Miami cruise, try to change the destination to Miami since the airport is open and expected to stay open. I believe Ft Lauderdale closed their airport. It is also expected the port of Miami will re-open tomorrow morning. Friday is a busy day for them and the storm will have passed.

Reading information from Carnival, they seem to expect the port of Miami to be open on Saturday (at least at this time). However Carnival is offering a refund to guests who opt to cancel due to travel issues, etc.

I truly can understand how awful it must be not knowing whether to attempt to get there or not. Especially if you are then enroute and the port ends up not opening as expected.

NCL is advising people that the Sky will depart on time on Friday. The bottom line is if these people are this helpless they shouldn't cruise during hurricane season.

I can see the internal United website (hubby is a pilot) and MIA is closed until tomorrow morning. It opens again once the first inbound flight makes it in. FLL and MIA should be open mid/late morning if nothing changes.

You won't be able to fly in today (Thursday) but should be able to fly in tomorrow (Friday).

Orlando has way more cancellations for tomorrow inbound (Friday). Try to fly into the southern airports (MIA or FLL). Tampa and RSW are unaffected operationally.

Edited by suedapooh

I can see the internal United website (hubby is a pilot) and MIA is closed until tomorrow morning, once the first inbound flight makes it in. FLL and MIA should be open mid/late morning if nothing changes.

That is wrong. United may have cancelled flights but the airport remains open. Here is their twitter link stating they are OPEN.

https://twitter.com/iflymia?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Edited by david_sobe

I can see the internal United website (hubby is a pilot) and MIA is closed until tomorrow morning, once the first inbound flight makes it in. FLL and MIA should be open mid/late morning if nothing changes.

According to MIA's own website 2 minutes ago, they are open but all airlines have ceased operations.

According to MIA's own website 2 minutes ago, they are open but all airlines have ceased operations.

Exactly. Conditions are safe for air traffic at the airport. They would never keep it open if it was unsafe. But the majority of airlines have cancelled flights to Miami. Its a judgment call but Miami is out of the hurricane cone.

Everyone needs to tone it down a bit and show some empathy. People have lost lives and homes in this storm! In the meantime some of us are arguing over things much less important.

Sorry wasn't being clear.

All United operations are SUSPENDED TODAY at MIA FLL PBI.

MCO will be suspended after 1600 today.

The airport is technically open, but flight ops are pretty much shut down. Nothing going in or out.

Everyone needs to tone it down a bit and show some empathy. People have lost lives and homes in this storm! In the meantime some of us are arguing over things much less important.

People die every day.

People die every day in car wrecks. Does that mean we can't complain about traffic?

Fellow Escapers (and anyone else cruising from Miami Port this weekend).

After consulting with airline pilot hubby, we bought five tix on AA to fly into FLL tomorrow night. The hope is to avoid the influx of evacuees back into Miami area and airline hiccups as flights come back online.

We have a hotel in Miami but will look for a place in FLL and taxi the next morning (sat).

If we had the option to cancel or reschedule, we would take it in a heartbeat. I think many of us who do make it onboard will feel crappy cruising while destruction is ongoing.

Fellow Escapers (and anyone else cruising from Miami Port this weekend).

After consulting with airline pilot hubby, we bought five tix on AA to fly into FLL tomorrow night. The hope is to avoid the influx of evacuees back into Miami area and airline hiccups as flights come back online.

We have a hotel in Miami but will look for a place in FLL and taxi the next morning (sat).

If we had the option to cancel or reschedule, we would take it in a heartbeat. I think many of us who do make it onboard will feel crappy cruising while destruction is ongoing.

First of all...There are no evacuees. Nobody left.

Second...Life goes on....Everyday.

Third...What kind of hotel are you looking for in Ft Lauderdale?

With 5 in your party you might look at the Hyatt House across from Oakwood Plaza Mall where there are several restaurants and a K-Mart that sells wine. Nice place, airport shuttle, good breakfast, full size kitchen in ever room and the suites have two bathrooms.

I have to say I am confused of how the Ft. Lauderdale airport is any better option than Miami? Pretty much if one is closed so will be the other. They are pretty much about 30 miles apart. If flights are cancelled for one they will be for the other also. Even the two ports aren't all that far apart.