Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

Looking at the latest weather map and forecast, it does certainly appear those with flights tomorrow or Saturday morning will probably be OK. It's those who are driving down who might have the worst of it, in terms of getting from point A to B.

Sorry wasn't being clear.

All United operations are SUSPENDED TODAY at MIA FLL PBI.

MCO will be suspended after 1600 today.

The airport is technically open, but flight ops are pretty much shut down. Nothing going in or out.

Delta rescheduled my son to fly into PBI early Saturday morning. He's hoping to find some sort of decent shuttle to POM for the Escape this Saturday. Like many of you, this is the only week he can take off of work until next year. Hope all of you get there safely.

So... for the Miami/FLL people, Do you suggest coming down I-75 and across alligator alley? I've only been down on the Florida turnpike to Port St. Lucie and on down I-95 but I'm thinking that wouldn't be the best with the storm just ending from there. I'm considering leaving EARLY on Saturday morning from Atlanta area.

Edited to include: zero hotels a few hrs south of me for Friday night.

Edited by drdoct

1. Evacuees coming back home.

2. Of course life goes on. It's how you live - are you a passenger? Or part of the crew?

3. Thanks for the tip! Stay safe if you're hunkering down in FLL.

I'm in Broward County and absolutely nothing is happening. There's hardly even a breeze.

Delta rescheduled my son to fly into PBI early Saturday morning. He's hoping to find some sort of decent shuttle to POM for the Escape this Saturday. Like many of you, this is the only week he can take off of work until next year. Hope all of you get there safely.

He better get back on the phone and reschedule himself to fly into MIA. PBI is in far more jeopardy than MIA.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Flights were cheaper into FLL (5 peeps to keep together). MIA would have been preferable.

Any thoughts on chancing it on getting a taxi from an FLL hotel? Or with 5 should I book at private car?

To me, flying into PBI looked less impacted than the other airports so possibly a better chance of getting in without hiccups. Maybe reserve a car or taxi-time call?

Flights were cheaper into FLL (5 peeps to keep together). MIA would have been preferable.

Any thoughts on chancing it on getting a taxi from an FLL hotel? Or with 5 should I book at private car?

To me, flying into PBI looked less impacted than the other airports so possibly a better chance of getting in without hiccups. Maybe reserve a car or taxi-time call?

No, PBI is the most threatened than all other airports.

I have no experience with Uber, but I see folks say UberX for larger groups.

If you want a private car/shuttle/limo call Larry's Limos. It will be about $90. Personally, I'd pick up a rental and drop it in Miami. Even with airport taxes and fees you're looking at $65-$80 for a SUV or minivan. Maybe less with other agencies or discounts. Surely your husband has some sort of interline discount.

Edited by Lido_Deck

So... for the Miami/FLL people, Do you suggest coming down I-75 and across alligator alley? I've only been down on the Florida turnpike to Port St. Lucie and on down I-95 but I'm thinking that wouldn't be the best with the storm just ending from there. I'm considering leaving EARLY on Saturday morning from Atlanta area.

Edited to include: zero hotels a few hrs south of me for Friday night.

Yes, that is a much better option. Do not take I-95. I live in southwest Florida (Fort Myers/Naples area). There is only one gas station on Alligator Alley, so fill your tank in Naples. All tolls have been lifted.

Also, with a storm of this magnitude there is the possibility of storm surge and flooding. Roads, etc. could not be passable on the east coast.

I'm thinking a breakfast Bloody Mary might be in order so I'm happy to let someone else drive us. Hubby is going to need it more than me.

Will call Larry's Limo (thanks for the tip). Also looks like a private SUV will be $117 from goairportshuttle.

galaxie63 - there's a 10 passenger private van for $143. Lemeno if you're staying at or close to the Springhill Suites by the FLL airport and want to split the ride down to POM.

I'm thinking a breakfast Bloody Mary might be in order so I'm happy to let someone else drive us. Hubby is going to need it more than me.

Will call Larry's Limo (thanks for the tip). Also looks like a private SUV will be $117 from goairportshuttle.

galaxie63 - there's a 10 passenger private van for $143. Lemeno if you're staying at or close to the Springhill Suites by the FLL airport and want to split the ride down to POM.

You can arrange a larger shuttle vehicle with Larry's Limos.

http://larryslimos.com/services/

Hope they avoid any turbulent waters post-hurricane. I sailed to the Bahamas within 24 hours of a hurricane passing through the waters and it was rough sailing. Not the best first-time cruise experience. But I still sailed again, no worries :D

Yes, but we booked at Hampton. I'm going with Uber as my first choice as there are only two of us, and I used them today to move my Neice from West Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale ( I did that all the from Kentucky!

You might try an Uber X vehicle. Or, we used a transport service last cruise and that went well. Can't remember who is was but someone else recommended SAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You people are mad! Why can't you all just stay at home where it is safe? There is going to be chaos on the roads, people trying to get to safety and you are only concerned with getting on a ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You people are mad! Why can't you all just stay at home where it is safe? There is going to be chaos on the roads, people trying to get to safety and you are only concerned with getting on a ship!

I am at home...In Ft Lauderdale. Twenty minutes from Port Everglades.

This is how most of us roll here in the US. We don't let some storm keep us from going on, generally speaking, what little vacation time we get especially if the ship is sailing with or without us and it was booked months in advance. We find a way. And believe me, if there isn't a way to be found, the cops and government will let them know.

Right now, only certain areas will be impacted so if there is a way to safely get to the ship, why stay home and hide?

My husband just got home from work and he's watching the Weather Channel. He says he doesn't understand how we can possibly fly in to FLL tomorrow after a Category 4 or 5 storm hits the state. But I've convinced him to pack, and we'll head to Nashville tomorrow afternoon. If they can get us in, we're going to give it a try.

Still think it's mad!

Right now I'm bored as Hell. I'm doing laundry and posting on Cruise Critic.

I spent two days running around getting bottled water, batteries and toilet paper, withdrawing some cash from the bank, filling my truck up with gas, plus an extra gas can and for what? All we're getting is an occasional stiff breeze and some intermittent light rain.

My husband just got home from work and he's watching the Weather Channel. He says he doesn't understand how we can possibly fly in to FLL tomorrow after a Category 4 or 5 storm hits the state. But I've convinced him to pack, and we'll head to Nashville tomorrow afternoon. If they can get us in, we're going to give it a try.

That's the point. It's not hitting the State...At least not down here.